Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 07:08:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Anyone use Green Stuff World's mail texture plate?  (Read 1353 times)

Offline Condottiere

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
Anyone use Green Stuff World's mail texture plate?
« on: March 04, 2019, 02:21:54 AM »

http://www.greenstuffworld.com/en/92-textures-plates

Texture Detail Size: 1mm (S)
Approximate scale: 1/65 (25mm) to 1/58 (28mm)

Texture Detail Size: 1,5mm (M)
Approximate scale: 1/58 (28 mm) to 1/54 (32mm)

Texture Detail Size: 2 mm (L)
Approximate scale: 1/54 (32mm) to 1/22 (75mm)

I've read the tutorial and think brownstuff/procreate would be better than greenstuff for retaining texture. Based on the picture of the dolly covered in medium mail, I think it's too big for 28mm/32mm figures, better suited for 40mm, while small is suitable for 25mm-32mm ones. Am I off? Anyone used these molds? 
« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 04:45:54 PM by Condottiere »

Offline Captain Harlock

• Mad Scientist
Re: Anyone use Green Stuff World's mail texture plate?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2019, 08:25:00 PM »
I dont think these really work. They are out of scale and i bet its impossible to make them follow body forms and contours.

Offline Suber

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2019, 10:29:37 PM »
I've used the M size plate. Of course I lack the skills to make a full armoured guy, but I've managed to get small pieces. Here you can have a look at my first attempt on some Shadespire minis (so 30-32mm scale):

https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=111318.msg1392520#msg1392520

Just pretty small pieces hanging from the armour, but at least you can get an idea of the scale. I still haven't dared to repeat the experiment or build bigger/more complex pieces, but I'd love to see anyone else sharing experiences too.

Offline Condottiere

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2019, 12:25:04 AM »
I dont think these really work. They are out of scale and i bet its impossible to make them follow body forms and contours.
They're probably out of scale due to the pics being close-ups, to better show the details, but I'm not sure about size M. Since it's textured putty, it's easier to conform it to the body, compared with poking holes. 

Offline Condottiere

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2019, 12:54:13 AM »
I've used the M size plate. Of course I lack the skills to make a full armoured guy, but I've managed to get small pieces. Here you can have a look at my first attempt on some Shadespire minis (so 30-32mm scale):

https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=111318.msg1392520#msg1392520

Just pretty small pieces hanging from the armour, but at least you can get an idea of the scale. I still haven't dared to repeat the experiment or build bigger/more complex pieces, but I'd love to see anyone else sharing experiences too.
The fur texture looks great, so I might pick up the that mold too, though it'd be nice if it came in other sizes for larger and smaller mammals. I think this confirms by suspicions that the size S plate is better for anyone shorter than an Ogre. Have you tried brownstuff or harder mixed procreate with the mold?   

Offline Suber

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2019, 10:41:04 PM »
Thanks, but I'm afraid the fur is hand made (just a pin and patience ;D).
Only used greenstuff so far, but I should try a harder option. The stickyness problem when you press the stuff onto the mold to get somne real definition can become an issue :(