Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 10:25:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690905
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 907
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Trees using CDs as bases  (Read 4240 times)

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
Trees using CDs as bases
« on: June 11, 2009, 07:22:10 PM »
« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 10:20:08 AM by Silent Invader »
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 32
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline traveller

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Help pls! Trees using CDs as bases
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2009, 07:26:24 PM »
Curled CDs! You´re doomed!

I based my trees also on CDs without this problem. Maybe put some small stones as additional scenery to put some weight on them?

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2009, 07:36:02 PM »
I think it might be a combination of the scoring and the solvent-based glue - when I did my tree bases, I did not score them and textured the "readable" (i.e., unlabeled) side using white PVA glue and a sand/gravel mix. Worked out perfectly with every item.

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2009, 08:01:40 PM »
Never had that happen (yet) but I've also stayed away from solvent based glues and from scoring the CDs. White glue (PVA) or hot glue (from a glue gun) won't warp the CD, and stuff seems to stick well enough without scoring.

Epoxy putty should stick, even to plastic, well enough without scoring too, although I haven't used it myself on CDs yet... my last tube of 5-min epoxy died and I haven't bothered replacing it yet.

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2009, 08:14:57 PM »
You've managed something even I haven't been able to do - and I can ruin pretty well anything!

I've used several different glues and coverings for mine and none has curled so far.

It may be the type of glue you used. I can never get the hang of bostick and use PVA for most applications, or occasionally two-part epoxy glue for big, heavy and awkward stuff. Perhaps the Bostick has some odd property that reacts with the type of plastic used for CDs. Possibly it caused the terrain mat to shrink to such an extent that it curled the edges up? As you can tell, I'm a gen-u-ine scientific genius and haven't really got a clue lol  ::)

Try PVA - it will stick things securely and shouldn't have any adverse effects. Maybe try tearing the mat into smaller pieces and use sand etc to represent bare earth. For woodland, you don't usually get solid grass coverage under the trees, anyway. As for combating slippage on the table, I tried using "Pritt" kid's glue stick to temporarily fix them onto my terrain cloth and it seemed to work quite well, without any nasty side effects.

Offline The Hooded Claw

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2009, 08:49:42 PM »
I also use a lot of CDs and have yet to run into this. I think the scoring and the type of glue might have something to do with it.

I use hot glue, standard PVA school glue, tacky stick craft glue (basicly less watery PVA), or wood glue. I really do prefer hot glue for major structural fixes as it hots solid and fixes quick ans is pretty easy to blend into the base while still warm.

« Last Edit: June 11, 2009, 09:37:05 PM by The Hooded Claw »
-Eli

"I See Lead People"

Visit I SEE LEAD PEOPLE!

Offline Burgundavia

• Mad Scientist
    • Coreyburger.ca
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2009, 09:29:40 PM »
Never had that happen (yet) but I've also stayed away from solvent based glues and from scoring the CDs. White glue (PVA) or hot glue (from a glue gun) won't warp the CD, and stuff seems to stick well enough without scoring.

Epoxy putty should stick, even to plastic, well enough without scoring too, although I haven't used it myself on CDs yet... my last tube of 5-min epoxy died and I haven't bothered replacing it yet.

I will second these recommendations. Hot glue is cheap and easy to use. It also takes paint and white glue well.

Corey

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2009, 09:16:15 AM »

I will second these recommendations. Hot glue is cheap and easy to use. It also takes paint and white glue well.

Corey

I recently bought a hot-glue gun, but haven't used it yet. I'm very good at self-inflicted wounds when modelling and this seems an ideal tool to achieve that result lol

They do seem very popular and useful though, so it's worth trying soon.

Offline HerbyF

• Mastermind
  • Why fear nightmares when you can be one
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2009, 11:00:48 AM »
I have used a lot of CDs and haven't had this happen to me either (knock on wood). I usually use rubber cement on both the CD & whatever I am glueing down to it. I have also used Gorilla glue. I don't rough up the surface the rubber cement leaves a rough surface & I brush on latex or acrilic paint pretty thick. If I used white glue it is usually after I have some paint on it first.
LHV 2015 +200 2016 +770 2017 +636 2018 +888 2019 +1015 2020 +656 2021 +174 2022 +220 2023 +312 2024 +109

Offline kidterminal

• Mastermind
  • A rising star in the hierarchy of Hell.
    • Fends in Waistcoats
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2009, 11:01:10 PM »
To prevent the CD's from slipping around you could cover the underside with duct tape. It gives the underside slightly rough surface. I've used this on MDF board.

Offline kidterminal

• Mastermind
    • Fends in Waistcoats
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2009, 01:09:46 AM »
@KidTerminal.  Interesting idea re duct tape.  In the end I stuck some paper to the base of the cd, trimmed it, then ran a line of superglue to the edge which kinda gave the base almost invisible teeth to dig into the flock, thereby resisting the urge to skid across the terrain paper! (Though I doubt this would work on mdf)

Yes that's what the duct tape does. I use black tape, though I've seen brown availible in some stores. Was that construction paper you used.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 09:11:38 PM by kidterminal »

Offline kidterminal

• Mastermind
    • Fends in Waistcoats
Re: Trees using CDs as bases
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2009, 09:12:46 PM »
Sounds like cereal pakage card. I've used alot of that in the making of buildings years ago.