Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 04:41:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Pulp Sci-Fi Minis  (Read 6752 times)

Offline loki

• Scientist
Pulp Sci-Fi Minis
« on: March 04, 2007, 07:15:25 PM »
Destroy all Humans!!!

I’m not just interested in prehisoric fantasy warfare. My other range of figures is called “Retro Raygun.” This range of pulp sci-fi miniatures are based on the books, comics, movies and toys of the 30’s, 40’s and 50’s. I intend to release the miniatures in sets or episodes. The first wave or “episode” will be entitled “Ace McGuire and the Legions of the Robot Queen.”

The robot pictured below is still a work in progress. It still needs more refining—panel lines, metal trim, and rivets. It is sculpted from a mixture of brown and green kneadatite–these are the best putties for making hard-edged sculpts. The sculpt stands 70mm tall and is inspired by the robots in “Sky Captain” and one of my son Adam’s favorite movies “The Iron Giant.” I’ve only sculpted one arm since it is universal and will be “cloned” in the master mold. I’d love to see the finshed casting painted in a brushed steel non-metallic metal (NMM) technique.  I’m thinking about a variant kit that may include a jet pack, arms with fists, and various heads.

Today I’ve decided to post photos of two more miniatures for the “Retro Raygun” range. These figures are based on some 1950’s space cadets toys I found at a garage sale. They represent two of the five main space patrolmen characters known as the Galacteers. The photo shows the “greens” for the main female heroine and the large, oafish second-in-command.

These figures are larger than the typical 28mm wargaming figure with the female space trooper standing 33mm tall and the large male trooper standing 39mm tall. However, these miniatures mix perfectly with the wonderful figures from Wargames Supply Dump’s “Dirk Garrison” range.

The sculpts are 90% finished but some minor areas need to be completed. I am still not very good at human faces, so I used pre-cast heads from Hasslefree Miniatures instead. These heads are “open source” and can be used commercially. I eventually intend to work on improving my face sculpting, but I wanted to focus my time on sculpting creatures, robots and other critters. In addition, the heavy raygun carried by the “brick” was created from metal conversion parts for O-scale model railroads. Did you recognize the brass train horns used for the muzzle of the raygun?

Future miniatures from the Galacteer range will include Capt. Ace McGuire, a yet to be named pot bellied scientist/tinkerer, and their space monkey companion Comet. I also plan to sculpt 3-5 Junior Galacteers to serve as rank and file “red shirts.” I’ll post photos as they near completion.

Offline matakishi

• The Teacher
  • Galactic Brain
  • Cousin of Hammers
    • Matakishi's Tea House
Pulp Sci-Fi Minis
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2007, 07:53:26 AM »
I want these.
(Regardless of how gigantically out sized they are.........:) that's a little TMP joke)

Offline Grimm

• Two-time LPL Champion (Season 2 and 3) Supporting Adventurer
  • The Colonial Tales Winner
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Grimms-Hangar on Facebook
Pulp Sci-Fi Minis
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2007, 03:34:59 PM »
yep you are right  :P
ttps://www.facebook.com/pages/Grimms-Hangar/196455560521708

Offline Tri3

• Librarian
    • Miniature Review
Pulp Sci-Fi Minis
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2007, 04:46:16 PM »
Really like these.  Would make for a fun Pulp game.