Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 05:03:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689762
  • Total Topics: 118294
  • Online Today: 786
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 5
Guests: 612
Total: 617

Recent

Author Topic: An independent review of Thud & Blunder by Meeples & Miniatures  (Read 5168 times)

Offline Craig

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Youth & Talent are no match for Age and Treachery.
    • The Ministry of Gentlemanly Warfare
Re: An independent review of Thud & Blunder by Meeples & Miniatures
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2019, 08:09:00 PM »
I think it's worth pointing out that the Numb trait automatically passes the first Destiny trait roll a character with the trait has but the way it's worded implies it's only for creatures that thematically speaking don't feel pain. I don't know, maybe a future update could rename/repurpose this trait or come up with a similar trait in the future for beings that are exceptionally tough but still do feel pain? Also, as Craig says, it's very unlikely a character will be able to pull off a one shot kill of a dragon and some characters with low scores simply aren't able to hit it without heavy weapons and some even with.

Hi Blazmo,

The numb trait could come from an innate resistance to injury, drugs (shrooms?), alcohol, magic etc. Essentially it gives a figure an extra hit point (oops).
As for low level characters being unable to take down big bads, this can be offset to a degree through the mobbing rule. Up to four figures fighting as a unit against a single opponent. If youa re running a'horde' warband this can be particularly effective. My friend Hairy Dave's ratmen use this often against my heavily armoured guard or dwarves with some effect.
My sincerest contrafibularities
General Lord Craig Arthur Wellesey Cartmell (ret'd)
https://theministryofgentlemanlywarfare.wordpress.com/

Offline Blazmo

• Student
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2019, 08:41:42 PM »
Thanks for the response Craig. Yes, upon rereading the Numb description in the rules it mentions that sheer toughness is a potential reason to give a unit that trait so I guess if you really, really don't want a unit to die on the first blow you give them that trait but IMO I believe the dragon's already tough enough. Looking forward to playing this game soon!

EDIT: BTW, if I may be so bold, have you considered publishing on wargamevault.com?
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 09:26:36 PM by Blazmo »

Offline D. Brownie

• Scientist
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2019, 09:48:09 PM »
Hi Blazmo,

The numb trait could come from an innate resistance to injury, drugs (shrooms?), alcohol, magic etc. Essentially it gives a figure an extra hit point (oops).
Don't get angry, but I think there Is a great difference between Numb (destiny roll automatically passed) and a second hit point ( that should be ignoring the First destiny roll failed).
A part from being a sophist, I was thinking exactly about a mixed force of orcs and goblins for my first warband... :D

Offline D. Brownie

• Scientist
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2019, 10:03:30 PM »
A question: with "2weapons" trait do you have to pay for the second weapon or it's included in the 5 points?

Offline Blazmo

• Student
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2019, 10:17:23 PM »
Don't get angry, but I think there Is a great difference between Numb (destiny roll automatically passed) and a second hit point ( that should be ignoring the First destiny roll failed).
A part from being a sophist, I was thinking exactly about a mixed force of orcs and goblins for my first warband... :D

I believe any kind of hit point system would require an entirely different way of handling damage in T&B and would probably have all kinds of side-effects such as on balance in particular but I'm not the designer so I can't say for certain. TBH I think a trait like Numb works fine if you really, truly don't want a character to die on the first hit but for a creature like a dragon which is extremely hard to kill without fortunate dice rolling already I think it's fine to just use its normal profile as-is.

Offline D. Brownie

• Scientist
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2019, 10:48:32 PM »
Probably you are right ;)

Offline Cyrus the Great

• Librarian
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2019, 05:34:21 AM »
Hi guys!
This Is true, but Is also true that here everytime this poor dragon suffer a wound (it's not so easy, but not so impossible too) dies (there Is a 10% possibility of knocking down too).. In my AD&D world It couldn't happen, unless maybe with a Vorpal Blade :) so actually an approach Kill or Nothing.But as I said I haven't played yet and so, trying It, Will maybe work perfectly. These are my First impressions.
Yes, a grunt cannot hurt the dragon normally. You Need a good D10 score + good FV + good weapon bonus. So let's see, I Hope this weekend...
While this might not happen in your AD&D world, in most games it would  if the character made the necessary die rolls. The lowliest character could overcome the most aged of dragons. It's the stuff of bardic songs!

Offline Craig

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2019, 07:25:52 AM »
A question: with "2weapons" trait do you have to pay for the second weapon or it's included in the 5 points?

Yes, you have to pay for the second weapon :)

Offline D. Brownie

• Scientist
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2019, 11:47:04 AM »
Thank you Craig!
I Hope not having given the impression I don't like the game. On the contrary I like very much what I'm Reading and my First orcish warband Is now ready to fight...
I think for example it's very clever the way you can do multiple attacks by splitting your FV/SV but also the Speed bonus for the armour in melee, that remind me the D&D dextery bonus. Above all I appreciate the fact that a shooter has a malus not only if has moved himself, but even if his target has moved previously: that's brilliant 8)

Offline Craig

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2019, 10:33:15 AM »
Thank you Craig!
I Hope not having given the impression I don't like the game. On the contrary I like very much what I'm Reading and my First orcish warband Is now ready to fight...
I think for example it's very clever the way you can do multiple attacks by splitting your FV/SV but also the Speed bonus for the armour in melee, that remind me the D&D dextery bonus. Above all I appreciate the fact that a shooter has a malus not only if has moved himself, but even if his target has moved previously: that's brilliant 8)

We encourage criticism and questions, it shows the player is engaged with the game :)

The positive and negative effects of movement are all part of Charles' genius. 

I love the term 'malus' by the way, though it took me a while to work it out.

Offline D. Brownie

• Scientist
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2019, 11:07:33 PM »
Well... I'm super critic :D
Malus Is the opposite if bonus... I use It currently, but probably in english is not used... I have a mine english language :o
A part from this, today I played my first game of T&B with "The paladin's sword" scenery. I'll give a Battle rep asap. My brother's barbarians exterminated my orcs.
Great fun. I have to admit my mistakes: the game system based on a single hp Is very well balanced. The tougher Heroes, and were not certainly tough like an elder dragon, were hard to Kill but in the right way. Much harder would have been boring and too slow.
I have instead some doubts about the utility of low level shooters, which, oppressed by many MALUS, shooted foam arrows. No movement or the skirmish trait are almost compulsory.
A question: if I roll 10 when attacking, Is It Always a hit?
I have to test the it again, but It could be my favorite fantasy skirmish wargame.

Offline Craig

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2019, 07:55:15 AM »
I have instead some doubts about the utility of low level shooters, which, oppressed by many MALUS, shooted foam arrows. No movement or the skirmish trait are almost compulsory.

With supporting shooters the trick is to move them fast in the first turn or two until you have them in good positions, then begin firing.
It is amazing how many players get very nervous about being in sight and range of shooters, you can channel enemies with this, especially if you get an early hit (even if it does not convert into a kill). They don't see a goblin with a short bow and wobbly arrows, they see a sniper  :o.
The Hawkeye trait is very useful as the enemy then has nowhere to hide if you have line of sight to them.
And remember volley fire. I have taken down quite a few big bads by having three bowmen concentrate their fire on the enemy.