Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 10:06:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686636
  • Total Topics: 118117
  • Online Today: 777
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Poll

Given the choice what would you rather play?

A game where the figures and terrain look great and the playability is just ok
A game where the figures and terrain are just ok and the playability is great

Author Topic: What's more important - Looks or Playability?  (Read 4968 times)

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
Re: What's more important - Looks or Playability?
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2019, 10:09:55 AM »
Ah, no,  I didn't mean games where terrain was hindering the placement of the figures, I was just curios that if one had to make a choice (and I do understand that it's possible to do both) between

1.  A great looking game that was tedious to play
2.   A table full of felt squares for terrain that was exciting and interesting to play

Which one would people choose.

Kind of binary really.  :D

Terrain may hinder playability whether they look rubbish or not so I maintain it is a false dichotomy. There is nothing wrong with playing on cardboard/felt  board with unpainted or cardboard figures. To me a reasonably well formed, figure based analogue game has become what makes it distinct from board game.

Offline fitterpete

• Mad Scientist
  • Maryland, U.S.A.
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2019, 01:37:37 AM »
I wouldnt want to play either of those choices honestly.

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2019, 06:01:21 PM »
...or what you did to earn the money?   ;)
I mentioned to the wife that I'd made a bit of a larger-than-intended purchase on a game kickstarter, and her response was "Don't ask, don't tell." lol

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2019, 07:02:21 PM »
Short answer.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
(Thats why at the start of a nightout everyone can agree on @*!# ugly when they see it.)
Long answer

So It all depends on what you personally value. The enjoyment of the game is paramount but thats as much to do with the company you keep as the rules you use.I was talked into playing a game at GW. Bored to tears (so so many dice.)  This weekend instead of training we played The tufty club road safety board game ( okay there may have been just the one beer each.) It was a riot.
That said everyone one of use would be wounded if we turned up to a show and the display games were just bits of barely 3D felt and un painted figures.and were met with 'yeh but the game play is much better this way '

Offline Lord Raglan

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Abergavenny
« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2019, 09:20:30 PM »
I didn't vote, because I always aim for my games to look great while the game-play is enjoyable for both players.

Undercoated only miniatures and books for hills are just not for me, but I totally get that people enjoy playing in this style.

Gareth

Offline Dentatus

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Stalker7.com
« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2019, 12:25:44 PM »
Bottom line, it's all about friends and fun. But... I demand both of myself and the games I put on. No amount of polish compensates for tedious rules and clumsy game play, (or poor company)  and for me, painted figs and terrain is inseparable from enjoyable war gaming.

That said, I recognize the limits to my skills and time, so I try my best to have everything presentable and complete. 

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2019, 01:45:12 PM »
Option B
I can always swap miniatures and scenery for better stuff...swapping rules is not always as easy.
“What use was time to those who'd soon achieve Digital Immortality?”

Offline Antonio J Carrasco

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2019, 11:23:04 AM »
A bit of both, actually. To me, it is a compromise between both extremes. Nice, functional terrain and well painted miniatures are essential for me. Maybe thus why I like MDF buildings; they are not realistic, nor museum-quality displays, but with a bit of work they look really good in the table and playable, at the same time. It's the same with mats in the style of Cigar Box Battlemats and the like; they gave nice backgrounds to your figures without a lot of work, nor storage space. We are very lucky as wargamers; we enjoy a wide range of possibilities to enhance the look of our games.

This kind of set up is what I feel comfortable with (Saga rules, Cigar Box Battlemat, 4Ground buildings)
« Last Edit: March 31, 2019, 08:08:27 AM by Antonio J Carrasco »

Offline warrenpeace

• Mastermind
« Reply #38 on: March 31, 2019, 12:44:03 AM »
The reason I play miniatures games is for the looks. I can play cardboard or computer wargames for the quality of game play. However, I don't like spending my time playing a game with rules I don't like, or with a gamemaster who is not so good at running a good game. I'm lucky to have guys to play miniatures with who present games that look at least average, if not above average. Not all games are great works of art, but the ones I get to play don't look bad.

The choice affects me the most when I'm picking games to participate in at game conventions (USA style, meaning virtually all "participation games"). I'd rather roam around looking at the best looking games rather than playing in ones that look good but play poorly, or in the games that play well but look poorly. I have played in either one, however. And I may try additional games that have rudimentary terrain but with GM's who have a good reputation for a game that plays well.
Sailors have more fun!

Offline Lysandros

• Scientist
« Reply #39 on: March 31, 2019, 07:37:11 AM »
Personally l cant  get any pleasure from any form basic playability set up. They look awful.  Well painted figs  without wonderful terrian is underwhelming and looks half complete , even lazy.
I play on highly detailed model railway   boards  and have no problem moving figs.  The overall look is far more important than winning or losing for my taste.
Unfortunately l feel very detached from game mat/play at all costs brigade as we have so little in common . That is why some of us feel removed from the hobby and realise that we are more of a "diorama gamer " of sorts.