Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:29:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686615
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 777
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Confused by 'facings" and lace  (Read 1073 times)

Offline WillieB

• Mastermind
  • Gotcha!
Confused by 'facings" and lace
« on: March 06, 2019, 09:23:05 AM »
Concerning Bengal Irregular and Punjab cavalry. Where most units seem to wear the alkaluk 'facings' are often mentioned. Does that mean the entire 'bib' front panel was in the facing colour laced by yellow/gold or white/silver or that the lacing around the front panel is in the facing colour? If not what part of the uniform actually has facings? Collar? cuffs?
I've seen drawings that suggest both ie. coloured panels and coloured lace but would like to try to find out a bit more before continuing to paint my models. Any help is highly appreciated!

Panic, Chaos and Disorder. My job here is done

Online FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
Re: Confused by 'facings" and lace
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2019, 09:45:27 PM »
alkaluk? 

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2019, 10:07:26 PM »
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline WillieB

• Mastermind
  • Gotcha!
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2019, 11:31:05 AM »
Got an excellent and  very exhaustive reply by the master of all things Colonial and purveyor of the finest miniatures, Col Mike Snook.
For those interested in most cases the colour mentioned as 'facings' is actually the trim around the 'bib'/ Officers and some Nco's replaced this with gold or silver. Rarely the inside of the bib was of a different colour than the uniform (Alkaluk or kurta) Not all that much different between these two. from what I can see the alkaluk opens all the way down to the front while the kurta doesn't open all the way. (Put on like a blouse)
Below one of those rare instances where the bib is in the facing colour (pink) From the Iron Duke website