Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 12:01:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690713
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 839
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Salute 2019  (Read 11914 times)

Offline Shahbahraz

• Mastermind
    • A Lead Odyssey
Re: Salute 2019
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2019, 03:15:58 PM »
Eh?

This assumes a UK trader going to Crisis in Belgium post Brexit. What additional documentation will be required, who do you pay vat to, will there be tariffs etc..
Wargaming since the dark ages...

---https://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/---

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2019, 03:25:58 PM »
This assumes a UK trader going to Crisis in Belgium post Brexit. What additional documentation will be required, who do you pay vat to, will there be tariffs etc..

Oh no, not Brexit talk, I get enough of it in the news, in the papers, in the pub everywhere, please not here! ;) lol

Besides we're not attending Crisis in November, I was talking about Salute. ;)
« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 03:27:40 PM by Malamute »
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Shahbahraz

• Mastermind
    • A Lead Odyssey
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2019, 03:31:57 PM »
Oh no, not Brexit talk, I get enough of it in the news, in the papers, in the pub everywhere, please not here! ;) lol

Besides we're not attending Crisis in November, I was talking about Salute. ;)

Apologies, I meant to reply to Chris.

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2019, 03:33:55 PM »
Apologies, I meant to reply to Chris.

Ok, no worries. :)

Offline Chris Abbey

• Mastermind
    • Sally 4th Wargames Terrain & Figure Storage
« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2019, 04:47:07 PM »
Sorry, just replying to Johan who posted his Crisis advert on the Salute thread.
Chris Abbey
Www.sally4th.co.uk

Offline Alan Mercer

• Scientist
    • Alan's Wargaming Miniatures
« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2019, 07:18:46 AM »
I have to report that I was a little underwhelmed with Salute. Very few inspirational games - Ged’s Game was a worthy winner, but there wasn’t much competition to be honest.

I found it too much of a weird fantasy convention - some of the stands, I thought nice figures but what the hell is that about. Lots seem to be kickstarters. Far too many 2x2 games, that didn’t entice me to play, in fact I had no idea what they were.

Painting competition was a good standard, but just one case of historical miniatures against 5 sci-fi/fantasy - come on people, don’t force me to enter my own mediocre stuff just to make up numbers!

Having said all that, I did pick up a lot of figures, got to see some figures ‘in the flesh’ so will order more, and met a lot of people i hadn’t seen for a while, so not all bad. I must remember to pre-order stuff next year - I will go again.

Offline bluewillow

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Bluewillow- Matthew Williamson
« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2019, 09:35:33 AM »
I was sick as a do, still not improved today, had aircraft tickets and express entry also, devestated I could not be there.

matt

Offline Lysandros

• Scientist
« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2019, 11:36:03 AM »
Poor show with only a few good games to inspire surronded by a sea of mediocrity.
Fantasy dominates traders except plastic box sets  that can be bought anywhere . Hardly any historical metal manufactures.
Warlords have a responsibility to set standards but as many of their own members stuff is shabby , put together in minutes we haven't got a chance of any improvement.
Sad that so many friends feel the same and can't be bothered to make the effort to go anymore.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2019, 12:14:48 PM by Lysandros »

Offline waitwhat

• Librarian
« Reply #38 on: April 07, 2019, 11:37:00 AM »
Very few inspirational games - Ged’s Game was a worthy winner, but there wasn’t much competition to be honest.

Your own subjective opinion is of course subjectively true, but I find that statement incredibly belittling and mean spirited. If you aren't inspired then maybe you should get involved and show those of us who are putting these games on (at enormous cost and no material reward) what we're doing wrong.

I found it too much of a weird fantasy convention - some of the stands, I thought nice figures but what the hell is that about.

This old refrain? You complain you aren't inspired but can't be bothered to follow up and actually find out what the hell X is about?

Online Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #39 on: April 07, 2019, 11:52:54 AM »
Please keep it civil. Whether one agrees or not with views expressed by other members, there’s no need to raise the temperature. Thanks.

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
« Reply #40 on: April 07, 2019, 12:09:25 PM »
Personally I'd give my left one to attend any British show or European one for that matter.

Be grateful you have these amazing events to attend at all.

Now bring on the photos please!!!
“A prisoner of war is a man who tries to kill you and fails, and then asks you not to kill him.”

http://adventuresinlead.blogspot.com/

Offline Lysandros

• Scientist
« Reply #41 on: April 07, 2019, 12:22:54 PM »
Your own subjective opinion is of course subjectively true, but I find that statement incredibly belittling and mean spirited. If you aren't inspired then maybe you should get involved and show those of us who are putting these games on (at enormous cost and no material reward) what we're doing wrong.

This old refrain? You complain you aren't inspired but can't be bothered to follow up and actually find out what the hell X is about?
I have been involved with games that have won awards at the show . Time , great cost and an unbelievable effort.  You recieve a £5 quid trophy for a years work, so we realise the pain .
What we see is countless poor offerings that should be culled from the show as itsa a spectacle.
The show should be a showcase, inspirational and reward the paying public.
It does not deliver.

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #42 on: April 07, 2019, 12:51:05 PM »
I have been involved with games that have won awards at the show . Time , great cost and an unbelievable effort.  You recieve a £5 quid trophy for a years work, so we realise the pain .
What we see is countless poor offerings that should be culled from the show as itsa a spectacle.
The show should be a showcase, inspirational and reward the paying public.
It does not deliver.

And yet a couple of years ago people were complaining that games should be representative of the majority of the hobby and not the elite who can afford to lay on spectacular games.

As one of those who assisted with presenting a non historical game I am so sorry you didn’t enjoy the show or felt our game was not worthy of your attention. Mind you  I’m not sure where it says historical games only in the show guide....

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #43 on: April 07, 2019, 12:51:48 PM »
Personally I'd give my left one to attend any British show or European one for that matter.

Be grateful you have these amazing events to attend at all.

Now bring on the photos please!!!

Well said Frank, would love to have seen you there. ;) :)

Offline GDonk

• Scientist
« Reply #44 on: April 07, 2019, 01:11:24 PM »
I got on a plane at 07.00, followed by a train and a couple of tubes, spent 3 hours at the show, popped off to The Imperial War Museum for a couple of hours and then did the reverse journey home where I arrived back at 21.00.

I enjoyed the show.  I'm not a Historical wargamer - to be quite honest, I'm not really a wargamer at all, although I'm working on rectifying that.  I collect mini's, some of which I paint, badly, I scratchbuild and convert scenery and vehicles and love seeing the skill, effort and imagination that others put into their builds and games in pretty much any genre.

I loved Nick and James' board and game, and thought that there were many other inspiring and effort filled participation and exhibition games around the show.

A great day out for me, hope the majority of attendees thought so too.

GDonk, Guernsey