Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 02:13:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689754
  • Total Topics: 118293
  • Online Today: 786
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: A walk in Felstad...  (Read 12256 times)

Offline DinoTitanedition

• Librarian
A walk in Felstad...
« on: March 07, 2019, 07:50:17 AM »
Over on Chaosbunker.de I`ve started with a for Frostgrave. This guy will setup the first member of my necromancers group, though I`m undecided yet, if I`ll take real lving folks or just go for some skeleton conversions. We`ll see.

If you want to support a bit, give it a click and read the article over at Chaosbunker.de and give us a like on the gloooorious social media:

https://www.chaosbunker.de/en/2019/03/07/frostgrave-necromancer-warband-part-1/#more-24623

https://www.facebook.com/chaosbunker.de/

Necromancer Warband - Part 1

A new project always has something magical about it, and in the case of Frostgrave that's literally the way it is. As Dennis summarized nicely in his review, Frostgrave is a pretty simple setting - two rival wizards seek treasures in the frozen city Felstadt. That's it. After the flood of complex and lengthy fantasy games on the market, this is refreshingly simple. Due to the vast selection of fantasy models on the market, the creative side stands in an extreme contrast to this.

I started with a similarly uncomplicated approach this time. I just wanted something fantasy, but I wanted to draw a bit more from the well-known generics and not dive into the world of ultra-high fantasy from a well-known manufacturer. For this I play a different skirmish game. Another incentive was my experience with Dead Man's Hand, in which I painted models in the classic 28mm scale and where it was fun to paint a few generic minis, which can be used in several games.

After looking into the rulebook, I particularly liked the model of the necromancer. The necromancer is simply a classic wizard in the fantasy genre, and usually one of the baddies. But occasionally you also run into one who has more of a "positive" attitude, such as the Diablo III necromancer. I wanted to try and catch this feeling too.

I admit, the idea came to me after I noticed that in my collection of colors purple was missing. But a nice turquoise was at hand and I decided to test the scheme on the apprentice. All in all, I do not think that the evil look was invalidated, only changed. Especially the blond hair did not make him friendlier, but somehow gloomingly strange.

As you can see, I haven't completely decided on a concept yet, but that isn't even necessary in this case, because with the growing number of generic fantasy models I'll certainly testplay some other systems too. At the moment I'm planning to build the gang with a barbarian as a bodyguard and a few soldiers as thugs. And as usual, none of my projects is complete without a bit of fluff...

On the threshold to Felstad

Slowly and creaking, the door opened. It was still a good three days march to Felstad and for a secluded place like this the tavern was amazingly busy.

"Eeeey, you there - shut the door!" one of the drunken guests shouted over to Archibald, when he had stood in the door a moment too long to let the scenery sink in and a cold breeze blew in with him.

"Now do as you're told Archibald." a calm voice came from behind him and he entered, followed by the man behind him.

The voice was deep and well-sounding, but ever since he could remember, it's tone was attached to a certain age. A wisdom and maturity that only the years could bring. When the door closed behind them, the landlord finally spoke to them:

"Do you want to stay overnight? We only have one more room. It's not the best, but if you're going to Felstad you will not find a better one on the way there."

Archibald's older companion nodded in agreement.

"Who should I enter in the guestbook, sir?" Asked the landlord.

"My name is Balthasar Tenebris. And this is my apprentice, Archibald Helfmann." replied Archibald's master.

Archibald knew that it was not his Master's real name. In the guild of necromancers one always encountered the people with mistrust when they learned to which study of magic they had dedicated themselves. Taking on a new name has been a custom in the necromancy school for hundreds of years. Often, however, names were also given to recognize exemplary achievements, or to clarify the rank of a necromancer among the others. Tenebris. "The Darkness" Archibald recalled. His master had been there and he had returned. Without succumbing to the strong, corrupting temptation that came with the study of necromancy.

He too had received his name. But not because he had a past to protect from relatives left behind. Archibald grew up in an orphanage in Whitetown many years ago. When he was five, he met his master for the first time. Somehow he had felt immediately that something would change for him that day. Not least because Balthasar had caught him stealing his purse. He could still remember Balthasar's cold, piercing gaze when he'd come to the orphanage to ask for his money first, and after a moment's thoughtful consideration, for him as well. Archibald did not have a real name back then. At that time, he was always called "Youngster" as he was the youngest child in the orphanage. Well, he had to admit that he hadn't got a much better name with "Helfmann" - the helping man. But he had to admit he had never fared badly in his master's company, even though he was very strict with him. One day he would master the necromancy well enough to assume another name. At least one who did not clarify who had to do most of the unpopular work on his travels.

"Are you dreaming again, Archibald?" Balthasar tore him out of his thoughts with his quiet manner.
    "Oh, no, Master." he replied a bit embarrassed.
    "I was just wondering why we‘ll stay here for several days. Didn‘t we want to go to Felstad?"
    "So you have noticed the entry about the number of our nights?" Balthasar asked, both surprised and satisfied.
    Although Archibald nodded, he knew that the question was purely rhetorical, and he did not have to answer.
    "Your eye for the environment has improved. Well, because where we go, we will always have to remain vigilant. And as we are only as human as the next man, we will need some swords at our disposal." Balthasar said.
    "Mercenaries?" replied Archibald, unable to suppress his surprise this time.
    "Master..." he started with some hesitation, because he did not want to upset his teacher.
    "You must not try to please Archibald." Balthasar said with a knowing smile.

"Of course, I'm well versed in the ways of magic, but I'm not the only one in this world who serves the Arcane forces. We will not be the only ones who will walk in Felstad seeking knowledge and treasures to finance our studies. Some whom we will meet may be friendly, but what if not? It is better to make sure that we return home with an unharmed hide. Unless you are immortal? And you probably do not want to wear all the treasures on your own." he concluded with a laugh, and Archibald shuddered, as it sounded cheerful, but equally menacing.
    He realized that this would be a dangerous journey and that the mercenaries might have to serve them more than once...

"Calm down, my boy. Tonight we rest. Tomorrow noon we'll see what high-quality bladesmen this nest has to offer." Balthasar said, seeing a flash of fear in his apprentice's eyes.

He would never admit it, but the boy had become dear to him over the years and practically his son. In no case would he allow anything to happen to him. Over the years, he too would learn the true art of necromancy and become a great necromancer. Not like those fools who left the mortal life behind them and never returned ...

Greetings from the Chaosbunker

Dino

Offline LiamFrostfang

• Mad Scientist
Re: A walk in Felstad...
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2019, 09:10:27 AM »
 8) way cool … like to see whats next...well dun!!!!

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2019, 09:18:00 AM »
top draw painting and fluff.
looking foward to seeing more as well.

Offline Keith

• Mastermind
    • Small Wars Blog
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2019, 10:07:18 AM »
Top stuff - very much looking forward to seeing this develop.
An infrequent Blog http://small-wars.com

Offline Chillyray

• Assistant
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2019, 08:56:46 PM »
My first posting! I just wanted to say, lovely highlights and perfect characterization. A real little person. Well done

Offline DinoTitanedition

• Librarian
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2019, 10:48:29 PM »
*COUGH* Man, this thread needs some dusting! Well, I believe I have just the right thing to do so. Today I've started painting up my second warband member, though I consider this to be my "first" one, as I'm pretty sure I'll exchange the model of the apprentice with something else. Seriously, as much as I love the Necromancer, as much I dislike the mini of his underlung.

But back to the new stuff - my marksman is a dwarf! Who would've thought, eh? So far only the face is finished, but I think I can get him done during the week. I've also been thinking about the game as a project a lot lately. As I'm very story focused and kind of enjoy writing, I will most likely play Frostgrave by myself most of the time - or, which is also a possibility, create a second warband to be handled by someone else.

At this point I was thinking about an orc raiding party. Fluffwise I'll write it up like they're from the Northwest of Felstad, where one of the few remaining orc keeps in the world of Frostgrave exists. I'm not sure if this adheres to the fluff, as far as I know J.McC once said in a YouTube video that the world of Frostgrave is mostly populated by regular humans (except for the Gnolls of course). Maybe someone can me tell more about this.

Anyway, I've started to play abit around with various miniatures and I'll probably take one or two from the Mantic range, as they fit perfectly size and looks wise.

Last but not least I'm thinking about how to continue this thread - the forum technology is so old, that I cannot really run the project like on my other forums or simply copy-paste the latest content from chaosbunker.de, the blog whre I run most of my projects which would be easiest from the point of organisation.

My idea for that is to post one picture and the link to the blog per post, when I post something interesting. What do you guys think about that?

Offline Daniel36

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2019, 09:27:21 AM »
Oh my word that Dwarf face looks incredible. And I know the beard currently has only the basecoat, but honestly... I would leave it like that. That is basically the most realistic looking beard I have ever seen on a miniature.

Offline DinoTitanedition

• Librarian
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2019, 10:07:00 AM »
Thanks, but just like I did for the face, I'm going for a more comic book like appearance  :) In general I prefer the "less serious" aesthetic in gaming.

What's a good antagonist for a "good" Necromancer? I know the Thaumaturge school is supposedly their opposite, but they feel to my like "healers", so I can't picture them as bad guys.

Offline Swordisdrawn

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
  • '
    • Sword is Drawn
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2019, 04:14:39 PM »
Wow the dwarf face and beard are brilliant!
'The night is gone and the sword is drawn and the scabbard thrown away!'

Instagram Swordisdrawn264

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2019, 11:03:35 AM »
gosh, yes indeed - superb job on the face.

Offline Daniel36

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2019, 11:45:10 AM »
You could go for a firey Elementalist. Purge the undead with fire and flame. Heretics they are, I tell you, heretics!!

Or you could have a (Blair) Witch, one that embodies the darker sides of nature.

Or bash their skulls in with an Enchanter and his enchanted hammers.

The Soothsayer II models can also easily work as evil-ish characters.

Offline DinoTitanedition

• Librarian
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2019, 12:30:51 PM »
Yeah, I've thought about an Elementalist too, especially since I plan to replace the model for Archibald. I so much like the model of the necromancer, but the apprentice mini just doesn't appeal to me.

But I think I'll go with a wizard of the withcraft chamber. Giving him the ability to cast many curse like spells should give him an appropriate evil touch. And...I have plans for his retinue already as well.

Speaking about retinue, the marksman is done. This isn't the best picture, but then again, for the story and better quality I run this on chaosbunker.de and will post the link as soon as I'll reach that spot in the story. All posted articles will be linked throughout the backgroundstory.

So here he is, Balbarosch Mendri at you service.

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2019, 09:19:44 AM »
really like that effect with the sharp highlights.

Offline Brandlin

• Mad Scientist
    • Brandlin
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2019, 01:06:00 PM »
Excellently done - you certainly have a unique style that emphasises the figure.

Offline Daniel36

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2019, 04:53:40 PM »
Amazing job!!