Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 05:22:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690828
  • Total Topics: 118354
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 5
Guests: 729
Total: 734

Recent

Author Topic: 15mm Border Reiver forces Late 16th century?  (Read 3116 times)

Offline Billythefish

• Bookworm
15mm Border Reiver forces Late 16th century?
« on: October 20, 2023, 09:22:49 PM »
So i have purchased a copy of good ole The Steel Bonnets to clarify if some Reiver forces and skirmishes will be for me.... thing is i am trying to migrate from my 28mm collection to 15mm - i just find them alot less hassel to transport, paint, store, generally more user friendly all round!

I have seen Essex do some that might fit this era, does anybody have other recommendations in 15mm options seem a bit thin on the ground? I know the 28mm is epic but its a ball ache to paint time wise!

Thanks in advance for any help!

Offline TheBlackCrane

• Mad Scientist
    • Tales of the Black Crane
Re: 15mm Border Reiver forces Late 16th century?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2023, 09:46:10 PM »
Khurasan Miniatures' late C16th range has English, various of whom fit the bill for Border Reivers. The also have a Renaissance Irish C16th range if you wanted to add galloglaich or the like too. I have lots of Khurasan's C16th including the English and Irish and they are terrific figures.

Offline Billythefish

• Bookworm
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2023, 09:42:10 AM »
Thanks - I am quite a fan of their stuff but alas they do not have a UK retailer and for size of forces i want the postage rates from US would be quite a hole in my finances :)

Offline Deflatermouse

• Librarian
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2023, 10:45:18 AM »
I started Reiveing many years ago. Blue Bonnets is a great book.
IIRC there was an Osprey book also. I had both and "Leant" them to someone.
Then other things intervened.
I was using who is now Alternative Armies border light horse.
MC9 English border horse
https://www.alternative-armies.com/products/mrc9-english-border-horse-16thc-early?_pos=1&_sid=a8d48c47f&_ss=r

QRF early Tudor reivers
https://quickreactionforce.co.uk/product/tw16-early-tudor-border-reivers/
https://quickreactionforce.co.uk/product/tw17-mid-tudor-border-reiver/

Minifigs
91XC Border Horse
http://www.miniaturefigurines.co.uk/images/catalogue/91XC.jpg

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2023, 02:19:19 PM »
Sorry I can't help you with your question, but I've popped this thread across to the Pikes and Muskets board, because Border Reivers as a genre aren't really medieval.

Offline Baron von Wreckedoften

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2023, 02:41:56 PM »
I have seen Essex do some that might fit this era, does anybody have other recommendations in 15mm options seem a bit thin on the ground?

If you only look specifically for figures listed as "Border Reivers" then I suspect your search will not be very fruitful.  However, if you are prepared to be a bit more "liberal" as to what a BR would have looked like, then there is quite a lot out there!  I have a BR "army" that I use in FoG:R (Field of Glory: Renaissance) competitions at my club - it's not a serious army, but it can provide the more "usual" suspects with something to think about, consisting of an interesting mix of close and open order horse with all sorts of missile options.  I use 2nd Generation Minifigs - now long OOP, but still occasionally crop up on eBay - but the corresponding figures in their current range (3rd Generation) will also give you some excellent options. 

In addition to "Border Horse" and "command" figures, I use everything from mounted crossbowmen, to lancers/scourers from the Mediaeval and Renaissance eras (armour and dress generally would be slightly dated), and sometimes slightly beyond, including hussites and some of the less "exotic" Eastern Europeans.  For example, by mixing various types of crossbowmen, you can get some real rag-tag units that typify the "jumble sale" appearance of a BR force.  Two of my close order, and two open order "skirmish" units, are made up of Polish-Lithuanian "hussars" - stylish pointed helmet with wide brim, cloak, lance and "latch" crossbow slung across the back.  Other units are composed of a mix of Border and Irish horse - varying levels of armour, lances, and big shields that you can paint a nice St George's cross or St Andrew's saltire onto.

There's a link below to the Miniature Figurines current catalogue - scroll down the left hand menu till you reach "Renaissance" and just dive in!  You can do the same with Essex (whose catalogue is almost entirely illustrated); another manufacturer I would suggest that you look at is Donnington.  In all three cases, look at the Mediaeval ranges as well, you never know.

http://www.miniaturefigurines.co.uk/Catalogue.aspx?ScaleID=2&CategoryID=8
No plan survives first contact with the dice.

Offline Inkpaduta

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2023, 05:48:19 PM »
East Riding used to have them. Can look to see if they still do.
Essex has border figures.
QRF Freikorps have  variety of period figures that could work too.