Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 08:40:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Spanish Tercios  (Read 50100 times)

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
Re: Spanish Tercios
« Reply #285 on: March 19, 2023, 11:03:00 AM »
We will reveal the new releases soon!

Ah...... that's what I was told a year or so back  :-[

Offline 1898 Miniaturas

• Librarian
    • 1898 Miniaturas
« Reply #286 on: March 19, 2023, 01:19:12 PM »
Ah...... that's what I was told a year or so back  :-[

You're right, sorry about that, but we decided to finish the core of the French Foreign Legion range before going back to the TYW range, that will need our full attention...

Offline marco55

• Mastermind
« Reply #287 on: March 19, 2023, 03:05:34 PM »
You guys have great ranges so people get a little anxious waiting for their minis.
Mark

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #288 on: March 19, 2023, 03:39:10 PM »
You're right, sorry about that, but we decided to finish the core of the French Foreign Legion range before going back to the TYW range, that will need our full attention...

The long gap between hearing anything about the TYW range and which direction it would be heading now the bulk of the Spanish are done is a problem, but not one of impatience as one might imagine.

You guys have great ranges so people get a little anxious waiting for their minis.
Mark

Indeed, they are the most beautiful miniatures for the "period" available. By a long way.

The problem I have, is that over the years, so many times companies have started ranges and not completed them. To be honest this, for me, is an untenable position due to the price price of metal miniatures being as expensive as they are nowadays; it is even more important to have information from companies about what sort of direction they're going.

If the information was forthcoming a year or so ago, I would have ended up paying several hundreds of pounds on the beautifully crafted Spanish mini's; but, as it happened, with the lack of into crossed with the expense of miniatures these days, I ended up buying nothing and moving onto other projects. I just didn't want to start an expensive project without knowing I was able to complete it.

I hope that makes sense?

Offline 1898 Miniaturas

• Librarian
    • 1898 Miniaturas
« Reply #289 on: March 19, 2023, 07:29:21 PM »
The long gap between hearing anything about the TYW range and which direction it would be heading now the bulk of the Spanish are done is a problem, but not one of impatience as one might imagine.

Indeed, they are the most beautiful miniatures for the "period" available. By a long way.

The problem I have, is that over the years, so many times companies have started ranges and not completed them. To be honest this, for me, is an untenable position due to the price price of metal miniatures being as expensive as they are nowadays; it is even more important to have information from companies about what sort of direction they're going.

If the information was forthcoming a year or so ago, I would have ended up paying several hundreds of pounds on the beautifully crafted Spanish mini's; but, as it happened, with the lack of into crossed with the expense of miniatures these days, I ended up buying nothing and moving onto other projects. I just didn't want to start an expensive project without knowing I was able to complete it.

I hope that makes sense?

Absolutely, I completely understand. In our case it's not a matter of lack of commitment, but of the limited availability of our talented sculptor, that make us to develope our ranges painfully slower than other companies. Thus, we prefer not to anticipate future releases until we are actually working on them in order to not to generate unnecessary frustration. On pricing, you're right, we raised prices last year but not that much, made no further increases and had no plans of new changes, t least in the short term, if this helps. Though I understand you may have lost interest, it will be our challenge to tempt you again!  ;)

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #290 on: March 20, 2023, 08:19:01 AM »
Absolutely, I completely understand. In our case it's not a matter of lack of commitment, but of the limited availability of our talented sculptor, that make us to develope our ranges painfully slower than other companies. Thus, we prefer not to anticipate future releases until we are actually working on them in order to not to generate unnecessary frustration.

I understand. It's more of a planning thing. It's impossible to plan if you don't have any idea of what's coming in the future :)

On pricing, you're right, we raised prices last year but not that much, made no further increases and had no plans of new changes, t least in the short term, if this helps. Though I understand you may have lost interest, it will be our challenge to tempt you again!  ;)

The prices of all miniatures cast in metal have gone up. A necessity for all manufacturers. I was just pointing out that it's not like 20 years ago when metal miniatures were relatively cheap. Nowadays, especially in the current economic climate, they are expensive items.

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #291 on: March 20, 2023, 09:36:23 AM »
'Our chief weapon is surprise, surprise and fear, fear and surprise......'  :D
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline flags_of_war

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Flags of War
« Reply #292 on: March 20, 2023, 10:11:42 AM »
More TYW on tables is always a good thing

Offline Paul Richardson

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #293 on: March 20, 2023, 12:39:28 PM »
Darrell: I think your position makes complete sense. I've never got over my disappointment with Dixons over their French in Egypt range. I bought loads of the French and had them beautifully painted by Special Forces and then waited for Dixons to bring out some Mamluks for them to fight, and the Mamluks never appeared. Dixons, to be fair, did bring out a few British infantry and a couple of Ottoman infantry figures but my hope of recreating a French against Mamluk cavalry scenario was never possible. 

Offline TheDilfy

• Librarian
« Reply #294 on: March 20, 2023, 12:50:52 PM »
Darrell: I think your position makes complete sense. I've never got over my disappointment with Dixons over their French in Egypt range. I bought loads of the French and had them beautifully painted by Special Forces and then waited for Dixons to bring out some Mamluks for them to fight, and the Mamluks never appeared. Dixons, to be fair, did bring out a few British infantry and a couple of Ottoman infantry figures but my hope of recreating a French against Mamluk cavalry scenario was never possible.
Have you seen the Perry's newly launched Ottoman range? I think they will add as they go along. I echo your sentiments, Paul, and Darrell's too - I am reluctant to invest in figure company(s) unless they road map the range. I haven't a clue as to why it all has to be top secret... ???
Climber, Motorbiking, Board gaming and Wargaming

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #295 on: March 20, 2023, 01:03:05 PM »

Thanks Paul. I appreciate the support. What you have described a nightmare scenario...... one that I too am familiar with.

I echo your sentiments, Paul, and Darrell's too - I am reluctant to invest in figure company(s) unless they road map the range. I haven't a clue as to why it all has to be top secret... ???

I think it's a legacy of Games Workshop or some such nonsense. So many companies, including ones I've painted for in a former life, insist on absolute secrecy to be maintained before a release announcement. Maybe letting the cat out of the bag really does effect sales? Though for the life of me, allowing the "punter" to plan for future releases would surely guarantee more sales in the long term? It's baffling.  o_o

OK, I really ought to add, I love 1898 miniatures, they are superb sculpts and fine castings too  8)

« Last Edit: March 20, 2023, 01:04:37 PM by Atheling »

Offline marco55

• Mastermind
« Reply #296 on: March 20, 2023, 01:47:46 PM »
Yes they are top notch.
Mark

Offline 1898 Miniaturas

• Librarian
    • 1898 Miniaturas
« Reply #297 on: March 20, 2023, 02:11:04 PM »
Thank you for your generous compliments, and especially for your constructive critics, it's always really helpful to hear different opinions!

Offline 1898 Miniaturas

• Librarian
    • 1898 Miniaturas
« Reply #298 on: October 15, 2023, 11:59:46 AM »
Dear friends, the first miniatures of our new range of French for the Thirty Years War in 28mm are now available. This first batch of new releases includes a series of French cavalry made up of a specific command group, and charging figures equipped with armor and buff coats, pistols and swords, and with the chapeau d’arme, a metallic hat-shaped helmet typical of the French army, and of course, their characteristic mustaches and long hair. These miniatures can also be combined with our current cavalry references with helmets and hats, also fully in use in the French army of the Thirty Years War.

This new release will be followed by a series of marching French infantry: pikemen with and without armor, with helmets and hats, and musketeers (at this time the arquebusiers had ceased to exist and muskets would soon be lightened to dispense with the fork) with the characteristic equipment and clothing that we have found in the sources of the period: long coats, wide trousers with a cylindrical leg, wide-brimmed hats and hunting caps, etc. And of course, the long waited artillery.

Offline marco55

• Mastermind
« Reply #299 on: October 15, 2023, 04:17:05 PM »
Very very nice.
Mark