Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 10:16:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691101
  • Total Topics: 118373
  • Online Today: 880
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: [QUESTION] Mirliton horses  (Read 902 times)

Offline von der Tann

• Scientist
  • "Viel Feind - viel Ehr!" - Georg von Frundsberg
[QUESTION] Mirliton horses
« on: March 24, 2019, 06:32:08 AM »
I have a question about Mirliton horses (All images are from their website.). I am thinking of getting this guy:

As far as I understand it, you have to get the horse seperately. While going through Mirliton's website, I found that specific horse ... and it has a hole where it's back is supposed to be.

While I get it with the horse that's supposed to be ridden, I don't get it with the draft/draught horse. Now my questions:
  • Does Mirliton provide an "inset" with the horses? Like a saddle or bare back?
  • How do they scale in comparison to Perry Miniatures and say Frostgrave minis?
Thanks for the help guys.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2019, 11:43:31 AM by von der Tann »
"Viel Feind - viel Ehr!"
(Georg von Frundsberg, 1473 - 1528)

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
Re: [QUESTION] Mirliton horses
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2019, 11:36:39 AM »
I don't have these figures, but looking at the photo of the mounted figure, it seems that the square saddle section comes with the rider - you can see the slight straight gap at the front of the saddle, but looking at the rider's upper legs they seem very much part of the saddle.

Offline Dolmot

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2019, 12:30:39 PM »
Well, I may be able to answer your questions to a limited extent, because I bought a selection of those in 2006. I even managed to locate some photos. (Life tip: Always name your directories to make them searchable. Otherwise this would have been a hopeless task!)

Horses
Riders and bits

If I also dive into my huge email / order receipt archive, I can possibly find the exact list of product codes shown there. It was a long "one of everything" order, probably a full hour of clicking. Then Mirliton managed to lose it somehow during the payment process and asked me to re-list everything manually, which I absolutely refused to do...but I digress.

Does Mirliton provide an "inset" with the horses? Like a saddle or bare back?

No...I can't recall anything like that. Usually the riders come with full legs and that block. Sometimes the saddle is with the horse, sometimes with the rider. That may cause some headaches with matching. Also note that the slots vary a lot in their length from "none" to "all of the back". I have no idea about the logic behind that. With a lot of research and/or shopping you may be able to find matching horse+rider pairs, but realistically speaking, I'd just prepare for putty, clipper and dremel work. Fortunately that shouldn't require particularly delicate putty pushing skills, just a bit of effort and brute force.

How do they scale in comparison to Perry Miniatures and say Frostgrave minis?

I think it also varies. It may depend on the exact period/range, but in general they're sold as "25/28mm", and I'd say they don't even come from any single, consistent source. (I already mentioned the slotted vs slotless horses, but also the rides may require a separate head or lance arm. Are they included with model X? Please don't ask...) See the photos to get a rough idea of their variation. No absolute scale reference there, sorry.

This batch went to one attempt of making a slightly more realistic Warhammer Dogs of War army (when the official models had been discontinued too) and I just forwarded it all to another guy in a group order so I haven't owned or even seen any of them in 12 years. They were definitely smaller than WH stuff with its chunky plastic horses and all that, but maybe not that different from typical historicals. How much of general scale creep have we had there in two decades? I may have some shaky action photo from that year, but that's the best I can do...with a major "may".

Well, I hope that's something anyway. :?
« Last Edit: March 24, 2019, 12:33:51 PM by Dolmot »

Offline von der Tann

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2019, 01:12:32 PM »
Thanks alot guys. That helped.

Offline bluewillow

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Bluewillow- Matthew Williamson
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2019, 06:35:45 AM »
I have a lot of mirliton miniatures, the rider fits into the slot.
They also have a saddle blank that fits, but it is not on the website at the moment? Otherwise green stuff

As for scale, mostly  tall figures in the medieval ranges, but very nice. I mix with fireforge, mirliton, foundry, gripping beast, anteluvian and claymore

I will take some mounted photos for you.

Cheers
Matt
« Last Edit: March 29, 2019, 07:01:29 AM by bluewillow »

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2019, 10:29:07 AM »
You might consider Essex 28mm range. Their horses are nice & look similar to the photo you
posted, but do not have a bit missing.

Offline von der Tann

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2019, 10:41:05 AM »
Thank you guys - for the pictures and the suggestion of Essex Miniatures. I like those too. Although I think it is a shame that they have so many pictures missing on their website.