Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 03:33:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: 15mm War of the Roses Kickstarter ideas  (Read 1785 times)

Offline Khurasan Miniatures

• Mastermind
  • Miniature manufacturer to the stars
    • Khurasan Miniatures
15mm War of the Roses Kickstarter ideas
« on: March 08, 2019, 02:03:16 PM »
Hi all, I’ll be running a 15mm War of the Roses Kickstarter in early 2019, and had a test model made which I’m quite pleased with:

In order to get a sense of the cost so I may set the goal and the rewards (the sets) appropriately, I’m considering the following builds. Please let me know your thoughts on the number of poses and the variety of sets, what else might be necessary, etc. thanks. Details follow:

War of the Roses Kickstarter

Longbowmen sets of six poses for each of the following:
Unarmoured shooting up
Armoured shooting up
Livery jackets shooting up
Unarmoured shooting straight
Armoured shooting straight
Livery jackets shooting straight

Billmen six poses of each of
Unarmoured
Armoured
Livery jackets

Dismounted men at arms six poses
With sword
With polearm
Dismounted maa command x6 (two with sword, two standardbearers, two musicians)

(Are separate command needed for lesser foot?)

Mounted men at arms with lance
Three poses lance at 45 degrees
Three poses lance up

Mounted men at arms with one handed weapons
three poses with sword
three poses with mace
three poses with hand, axe

Horses for men at arms sets
barded (full)
barded (light)
unarmoured

Currours with light lances
Six poses in mixed armour, smaller Unarmoured horses (perhaps three with light lance, three with spear/javelin)

Cannon and crew

Personality sets
Mounted musicians x3
Generic mounted unit commanders etc in full plate x3
Personalities (which?)

« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 02:13:47 PM by Khurasan Miniatures »
Khurasan Miniatures

Like us on Facebook for updates:
http://www.facebook.com/khurasanminiatures

Offline Nick2729

• Assistant
Re: 15mm War of the Roses Kickstarter ideas
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2019, 02:41:41 PM »
This sounds great but I would go for more packs of infantry - maybe a pack each of Kerns, Gallowglass, crossbow, Welsh spear etc. Whilst many folk think of thundering charges of mounted knights they were very rarely deployed in WoR so you really don't need so many packs for a specific WoR range.

Offline Charlie_

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2019, 03:00:00 PM »
This sounds great but I would go for more packs of infantry - maybe a pack each of Kerns, Gallowglass, crossbow, Welsh spear etc. Whilst many folk think of thundering charges of mounted knights they were very rarely deployed in WoR so you really don't need so many packs for a specific WoR range.

Though cavalry weren't usually deployed in pitched battles, they sometimes were, and would certainly see action in smaller skirmishes and such.... How often were Irish and Welsh seen on the battlefield?

Though admittedly perhaps you don't need so many cavalry packs with hand weapons - how about rather than one pack with swords, one with maces, one with axes, you just have one with hand weapons (one sword, one mace, one axe)? Which would give you three mounted men-at-arms packs - lances upright, lances lowered, and hand weapons.

Also the same could go for the dismounted men-at-arms - surely polearms would be more numerous than just swords? Perhaps rather than doing a 50/50 split, you could just have 2 packs (12 poses), mostly polearms but with 2 or 3 poses with just swords?

Offline Griefbringer

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2019, 03:08:57 PM »
Whilst many folk think of thundering charges of mounted knights they were very rarely deployed in WoR so you really don't need so many packs for a specific WoR range.

Though they might be of interest for those planning to use the figures for continental conflicts of the same time period.

That said, packs of mounted figures all identically armed with swords, maces or axes sounds rather too uniform for me - wouldn't packs with mixed weapons look more appropriate? That said, don't forget the one-handed warhammer, that was supposedly very handy from horseback.

Dismounted men-at-arms may only form small portion of the infantry, but they are still likely to be the centrepiece models of many armies, and would look best with a variety of armaments: swords (one- and two-handed), maces, warhammers (one- and two-handed), axes, poleaxes, ahlspeiss etc.

As for personality sets, do not forget mounted standard bearers to accompany the commanders.

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2019, 06:45:17 PM »
Dismounted maa command x6 (two with sword, two standardbearers, two musicians)
(Are separate command needed for lesser foot?)

How common were musicians?

Wouldn't the lesser foot also be commanded by MAA? (so you would not need a seperate command for the lesser foot)
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline Khurasan Miniatures

• Mastermind
  • Miniature manufacturer to the stars
    • Khurasan Miniatures
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2019, 05:48:28 PM »
Thanks all.  Some responses.

This sounds great but I would go for more packs of infantry - maybe a pack each of Kerns, Gallowglass, crossbow, Welsh spear etc.

All of those are "foreign" (or at least not English!) and I think they'd be handled by separate releases.  In fact I have a French range from the same period made and waiting for paintups so I can release them, but they look very french, including the men at arms.

Though admittedly perhaps you don't need so many cavalry packs with hand weapons - how about rather than one pack with swords, one with maces, one with axes, you just have one with hand weapons (one sword, one mace, one axe)? Which would give you three mounted men-at-arms packs - lances upright, lances lowered, and hand weapons.

Also the same could go for the dismounted men-at-arms - surely polearms would be more numerous than just swords? Perhaps rather than doing a 50/50 split, you could just have 2 packs (12 poses), mostly polearms but with 2 or 3 poses with just swords?

On the mounted, you may well be right and all those poses with hand weapons are excessive.  I do think however that many men at arms would in fact have used swords, and frankly ... how many polearm poses is it really possible to make?  :D

As for personality sets, do not forget mounted standard bearers to accompany the commanders.

They'd just be lancers, but yes they would be included.

How common were musicians?

I reckon they were fairly common.

Wouldn't the lesser foot also be commanded by MAA? (so you would not need a seperate command for the lesser foot)

I don't know, that's why I asked.  :) Yes, having them led by men at arms is what I did for the Later 14th century range, but i didn't know if troops of longbowmen or billmen in the WotR might have had non-noble leaders.  Does anyone know?  I assume not but am prepared to have my assumption corrected. Thanks.

« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 05:50:42 PM by Khurasan Miniatures »