Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:34:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686501
  • Total Topics: 118104
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 15mm Martian Tripod  (Read 7043 times)

Offline Enakan

• Bookworm
15mm Martian Tripod
« on: March 08, 2019, 05:08:41 PM »
Had to get back into modeling/converting, too long of a dry spell!

So I thought about building a Martian Tripod, to fit in with a 15mm ACW Union army.  The cylinder lands somewhere behind Union lines, the Tripod goes up in about three days like in the book, and off we go! 

I want to have an accurate model though, like in WotW.  So I need the following parts:

1. Long legs, three in number.
2. Wavy metallic tentacles, half a dozen or so?
3. Prism heat beam, probably mounted on the side of the body.
4. Black smoke rockets, probably mounted on the other side of the body.
5. Viewports, green in color, to simulate the Martian atmosphere inside the body.
6. Tall body, almost like a water tower.  Smooth maybe, only humans have rivets!

Now, what I've not seen in any other contraption, is the prisoner cage that is supposed to be behind the body. 

Do folks not build one for lack of space or aesthetic reasons?

Thinking 8-10 inches in height, so at the 1/100 scale, means 65 to 80 feet tall, in game scale at least.  Which should tower over buildings, troops and trees. 

Offline Enakan

• Bookworm
Re: 15mm Martian Tripod
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2019, 09:46:07 PM »
So picked up some supplies at the local hardware warehouse......

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2019, 03:49:18 AM »
Curious to see what you put together.  Not sure the tie-wraps are going to get you the wavy arms, though.  They can actually be relatively rigid.  If you can find some sort of metal spring I'm guessing that might work better.  Good luck.

Offline Enakan

• Bookworm
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2019, 01:34:22 PM »
You were right about the ties,

I tried both micro-waving them and boiling water, they ARE too rigid! 

Got started on the legs, steel takes a bit of work!  Got out the Dremel and a file to make the knee area, where I want the bend/joint.  Oops, got one bolt half an inch too long!  Good thing I bought FOUR!
« Last Edit: March 09, 2019, 01:37:16 PM by Enakan »

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2019, 01:37:37 PM »
Have you got a plan or are you just winging it?
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Enakan

• Bookworm
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2019, 01:50:52 PM »
I do,

Is there a diagram thing-eee somewhere out here in the Matrix?  Or, maybe I should draw it freehand, and take a picture of it.......

I usually grab the bits box, and throw stuff together that fit well. This time I actually shopped for matching stuff!

Offline Enakan

• Bookworm
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2019, 01:57:06 PM »
So,

Here is one leg filed through, halfway, so as to get the bend in it.  I think for this first Tripod, I'll just do one knee "bend", like a human knee.  Maybe for #2 I'll go for more joints!

Offline Enakan

• Bookworm
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2019, 02:26:12 PM »
Now that the bolt is "weaker" from filing, I used the good old MK1 hands to bend the bolts/legs for a good walking position.

Then using the two part epoxy for metal, got the knee joints in place.  Then attached the rear leg to the under torso, the leg flexes forwards, the Tripod will be quite speedy in that direction, will have to turn though, instead of swiveling, to change directions.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 01:56:52 PM by Enakan »

Offline FreakyFenton

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2019, 03:01:00 PM »
Looks interesting! I'll keep my eyes peeled.  :o
"No human being would stack books like -that-!" -Dr. Peter Venkman

Offline Enakan

• Bookworm
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2019, 03:12:27 PM »
Dang sideways photo.  Tried three times now to fix it.....

Anyways, put the front two legs underneath to show the scale, it is about six inches in height, under torso to ground.  Ohh......still have to put some toes on the feet!

Offline Enakan

• Bookworm
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2019, 12:33:19 PM »
So,

Was going through my upper body options.  I have a small odd shaped marmalade jar, half an Easter Egg, and a small plastic Halloween cauldron.  Whatcha think looks best???

Or none of the below?

Offline Enakan

• Bookworm
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2019, 02:11:28 PM »
Was watching "The Matrix" last night, saw this cool building in one of the scenes.  It looked perfect for the upper body of the tripod!  But, I think I'd have to build it by hand.

Took a photo, out of all four, what looks best?

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2019, 02:28:31 AM »
I'd say the glass is a no go - too easy to break and then a real hazard though the shape is certainly interesting.  The cauldron looks best to me.  I've been trying to remember where I saw the springs that I think will work for your tentacles but still eluding me.  I call that the "gray hair disease" - it's progressive, too.  Thankfully it ain't all gray yet!  Do you want an original book illustration version or one of the various movie interpretations? 
« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 03:31:05 PM by FifteensAway »

Offline Enakan

• Bookworm
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2019, 11:54:54 AM »
I was trying to stay close to one of the older Wells illustrations, I wish I had the skill at drawing or sketching on the computer to show what's in my mind's eye.

I hear you about the grey hair memory!  Maybe it was a swinging door swing spring?  I keep thinking of an antenna too, or the wire or cable for electronic devices....

Ahhh........was it my old 68 Camaro accelerator cable cover???  Flexible and made of steel!!

:D

Offline Enakan

• Bookworm
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2019, 09:05:03 PM »
I was kind of leaning towards the cauldron too.  Might put a "cap" on top of it too, the conical type I've seen on other tripods/water towers etc...

So this one?

« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 01:55:55 PM by Enakan »