Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:17:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: 15th century vietnamese  (Read 1273 times)

Offline Siaba

• Scientist
15th century vietnamese
« on: March 09, 2019, 09:20:41 PM »
I'm trying to find opponents for y Ming chinese army (I already have japanese), so I would like to know how vietnamese soldiers of the period looked like just to see if it's worth trying to represent them in miniatures. Any illustrations would be appreciated  :)
Thank you!  ;)
"The enemy? His sense of duty was no less than yours, I deem. You wonder what his name is, where he came from. And if he was really evil at heart. What lies or threats led him on this long march from home. If he would not rather have stayed there ... in peace. War will make corpses of us all."

Offline FierceKitty

• Mastermind
Re: 15th century vietnamese
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2019, 12:10:14 AM »
I don't know the answers, but it's good to see someone remembering that Vietnam has been there a long time.
The laws of probability do not apply to my dice in wargames or to my finesses in bridge.

Offline TChard

• Schoolboy
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2019, 07:35:52 PM »
Though I'm not sure what the Vietnamese of the period looked like, I've been thinking of building a force from the Burmese Toungoo Empire as opponents for my Ming. There were border conflicts between the two for much of the latter 16th century, and a war in 1583 - some of the Ming commanders went on to serve against the Japanese in the Imjin war, so they'd be perfect opponents if you already use your Ming to fight the Japanese.

From the small amount of research that I've done, I think much of the new-ish range of Burmese from Steve Barber would work if you leave out the ones with firearms, or convert them to look like earlier matchlocks.

Hopefully an option to consider!

Offline Siaba

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2019, 11:13:25 PM »
Thank you, Tchard! It's a nice idea. I had only considered the burmese as allies for the Ming. Do you think that 1st Corps / Curteys burmese would be ok for a XVI century army ?

Offline TChard

• Schoolboy
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2019, 02:43:03 PM »
I think a number of the Curteys models would work, but only a few of the command are wearing the bell shaped helmets that I think are quite a distinctive part of the 16th century Burmese look - this picture from the Osprey flickr account shows it nicely. https://www.flickr.com/photos/26498657@N02/2764722619/

Maybe a mixture of the Curteys and Steve barber miniatures would work well, with some head swaps between them?

Offline Siaba

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2019, 07:29:17 PM »
Good idea, TChard. I'll also try to use some TAG chinese.