Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:10:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686443
  • Total Topics: 118100
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Any recommendations for a Star Wars 54mm game. Could SWMB work?  (Read 4195 times)

Offline jhonpog

• Scientist
HI all just wondering if any of you 54mm gamers out there have played a star wars based game and what rule set/s have you used?

I'm resurrecting an old project of mine after looking at the wonderful SWMB threads here.  My eyeballs can't handle that scale anymore but it's very inspiring seeing how SWMB encourages scratch building and proxy miniatures.

So has anyone adapted SWMB for 54mm?
« Last Edit: March 12, 2019, 03:03:39 AM by woodface »

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
Re: Any recommendations for a SW 54mm game. Could SWMB work?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2019, 09:09:35 AM »
I have the feeling South London Warlords did one, have a look om the Salute site.

Online zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2019, 10:55:59 AM »
Can't help with the rules, but have a look for "Star Wars Command" sets for figures.

The quality is acceptable, if not great. They used to be really cheap when they stopped the range, but are getting a bit more expensive now. They're still available on Amazon (and ebay, no doubt)

The most annoying bit is that they cover Clone Wars and New Era, but don't always supply the figures for both sides in the same era.

I have a stash of them that I hope to get around to one day (my eyes are heading that way as well  :()

What other 54mm Star Wars figures are out there?

Offline Pictors Studio

• Mastermind
    • Pictors Studio
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2019, 11:24:51 AM »
See if you can find a copy of inquisitor from GW. That  was a pretty detailed rule set for 54mm and would work well for star wars too.

Offline DS615

• Scientist
    • Fandango Alpha
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2019, 11:28:25 AM »
I game with them.  I normally use my own rules, but there's no reason that any rules at all wouldn't work.
Unless they have "required basing", rules aren't really scale specific.
- Scott

Offline Arundel

• Mastermind
  • Galloping Outward Into the Weather!
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2019, 01:15:50 PM »
Great to see some interest in the Big Scale here on LAF. Doesn't happen very often!  lol

Another great source for figures is the range released by Hasbro called Star Wars Unleashed: they are 54mm and pre-painted. The paint jobs are more than acceptable. Looking through Amazon or e-bay should turn up quite a few options. Here are some to give you a feel of what's out there: http://www.classictoysoldiers.com/cgi-bin/ctsc6/rtl/prd_d.cgi?category=Star%20Wars%20(54mm)

As for rules, anything could work. Just multiply movement and ranges by 2 (I usually do 1.5, actually, to help with space) and you're good to go!

Offline jhonpog

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2019, 02:52:12 AM »
I have the feeling South London Warlords did one, have a look om the Salute site.

Thanks Ultra I'll have a look

Offline jhonpog

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2019, 02:57:58 AM »
Can't help with the rules, but have a look for "Star Wars Command" sets for figures.

The quality is acceptable, if not great. They used to be really cheap when they stopped the range, but are getting a bit more expensive now. They're still available on Amazon (and ebay, no doubt)

The most annoying bit is that they cover Clone Wars and New Era, but don't always supply the figures for both sides in the same era.

I have a stash of them that I hope to get around to one day (my eyes are heading that way as well  :()

What other 54mm Star Wars figures are out there?

Yeah it's amazing i used to be able to handle 28mm now I'm struggling to paint eyes on a 54mm figure :P 

There's a bunch of figures out there. I will eventually start a thread with some of my stuff.  Star wars unleashed battlepacks have a decent range of figures some are closer to 1/30th scale and unfortunately they dont' match up that well with star wars command figures. Depends how fussy about scale you are,

Other than that there the deagostini die cast collection, a recent chess set, Plex from japan and a few other bits and pieces.

The real PITA is no one has made an endor trooper in the scale!  driving me nuts I am trying to sculpt one up or kitbash something to make multiples

Offline jhonpog

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2019, 02:58:46 AM »
See if you can find a copy of inquisitor from GW. That  was a pretty detailed rule set for 54mm and would work well for star wars too.

that's a cool idea I wonder if the guys on the conclave have made a SW mod?

Offline jhonpog

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2019, 03:00:44 AM »
I game with them.  I normally use my own rules, but there's no reason that any rules at all wouldn't work.
Unless they have "required basing", rules aren't really scale specific.

Any pics?  I've got some homebrew rules that are ok, a bit basic which is why I wondered if there had been a SWMB54mm mod done as I've it said that it captures the feel of star wars really well

Offline jhonpog

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2019, 03:02:36 AM »
Great to see some interest in the Big Scale here on LAF. Doesn't happen very often!  lol

Another great source for figures is the range released by Hasbro called Star Wars Unleashed: they are 54mm and pre-painted. The paint jobs are more than acceptable. Looking through Amazon or e-bay should turn up quite a few options. Here are some to give you a feel of what's out there: http://www.classictoysoldiers.com/cgi-bin/ctsc6/rtl/prd_d.cgi?category=Star%20Wars%20(54mm)

As for rules, anything could work. Just multiply movement and ranges by 2 (I usually do 1.5, actually, to help with space) and you're good to go!

yeah big fan of 54mm and of star wars so making them go together makes alot of sense.

That multiplier idea is a good one cheers Arundel!

I've got a bunch of the unleashed figures just no endor trooper sigh

Offline jhonpog

• Scientist
Re: Any recommendations for a Star Wars 54mm game. Could SWMB work?
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2019, 06:21:05 AM »
here's a comparison pic I took a few years ago between the most common brands. Star wars Command, Deagostini, unleashed scout troopers with a tall unleashed officer on the end. The scaling and heft between these guys is not too bad

Offline cdm

• Scientist
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2019, 07:52:09 AM »
Thanks for the pic, I have a massive collection of the Command figs when they got dumped, and was never quite game to get the unleashed figs, having not seem them in the flesh to know if they scaled ok or not.

I'd say quite a few of the 3.75" accessory vehicles would also do on a table/yard, even if the technical dimensions aren't great.  A Hasbro At-At, At-St, A-Wing and others would quite happily do me for a game.

Offline Commander Carnage

• Scientist
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2019, 12:28:45 PM »
I would go with galactic heroes, cheap, easy to play, plenty of star wars type powers and very adaptable.
"Just don't roll a one!"

Offline jhonpog

• Scientist
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2019, 08:10:51 PM »
Thanks for the pic, I have a massive collection of the Command figs when they got dumped, and was never quite game to get the unleashed figs, having not seem them in the flesh to know if they scaled ok or not.

I'd say quite a few of the 3.75" accessory vehicles would also do on a table/yard, even if the technical dimensions aren't great.  A Hasbro At-At, At-St, A-Wing and others would quite happily do me for a game.

I'll post up a few more if I can find any on my hard drive.  I'd say it's a personal preference thing.  For me so long as the heft of the figure is similar I don't mind a bit of variation in the heights but I have found some of the command figures to be too small for me.  The unleashed figures tend to be a bit oversized (especially the rebel fleet troopers are a nightmare) but the deagostini figures are about right somewhere in between

Yes you're right about the hasbro vehicles they are a pretty good fit. 

I don't have an Awing can you take a pic next to some figures?