Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 07:36:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690738
  • Total Topics: 118344
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Facebook shutting down Military history and wargaming sites  (Read 1564 times)

Offline bluewillow

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Bluewillow- Matthew Williamson
Facebook shutting down Military history and wargaming sites
« on: March 13, 2019, 09:24:38 PM »
Heads up guys

It seems Facebook algorithms are shutting down a number of military history sites, and some wargaming and modelling sites. I am a moderator on two sites and have been informed investigations will be occuring over the next week, I actually cannot even post on some FB pages to warn others.

hopefully will be sorted, but one boardgame trading site has been cautioned due to the swastika being displayed

cheers
Matt

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
Re: Facebook shutting down Military history and wargaming sites
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2019, 09:54:19 PM »
Facebook has been down since about lunchtime here. Who knows what they're doing.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline N.C.S.E

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2019, 02:27:47 AM »
Whilst I shan't be sad to see one particular group crawling with neo-nazis and nazi apologists be purged, I'm sure that this will be done with the typical Facebook tone-deaf ham-handedness which means that one or two objectionable sites will result in the loss of many dozens of useful groups.

That said, I'll admit that I disapprove of Facebook shutting down groups not actively engaged in/planning illegal activities. I'm no fan of such vile pages, but it only adds fuel to the fire and in a way justifies the views of those, shall we say, "unenlightened sorts".

I fear this may also be indicative of a problem for miniature wargaming, being that it is so small and unknown to the general public that it has no platform to resist such actions against it.

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2019, 07:39:29 PM »
An event which was livestreamed on Facebook yesterday may have something to do with any sudden, massive disruptions. So I would bear that in mind, and hope that once things calm down it will get sorted out... mostly.

Of course, as you rightly said, FB will be ham-handed as always in their responses.

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.