Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:31:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686622
  • Total Topics: 118114
  • Online Today: 777
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Looking for a Lady  (Read 2373 times)

Offline italwars

• Mastermind
Looking for a Lady
« on: March 17, 2019, 09:17:20 PM »
 lolHello
Please I need suggestions from 18c. Miniature ‘s experts as they are in this section of the forum.
My favorite wargame period beside colonial is French Revolution precisely War in Vendee! Which is certainly a side show...I play it at skirmish level I’ve quite a few Vendéens, bleus and civilian types but what I need and have difficulties in finding is one, even two true Ladies for the period..please not “femmes du peuple”   the ones produced by Foundry, Eureka ecc ..I already have quite a few and they are ok “eating cakes”:-)..I need a lady similar to those ones..on foot not mounted:
Thanks for your advice

Offline armchairgeneral

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
Re: Looking for a Lady
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2019, 10:53:59 PM »

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2019, 08:11:04 AM »
Foundry do some well dressed ladies in their C18th civilians.
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline waterproof

• Librarian
  • would like to paint more
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2019, 03:28:32 PM »
The picture is very interesting. Does it have a title or is there a story behind the scene?

Offline italwars

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2019, 04:28:28 PM »
Massacre de Machecoul...
After the city was conquered by the Vendeens /royalist insurgents..vengeance was carried vs the Republicans citizen or those compromised with the hated bleus..vendeens officers..most of them local nobles did nt succeed in stopping their peasants..the scene depicts noble ladies looking the scene after the massacres ...
I needed some ladies because they were ever present with their husbands or hero fiancé during the battles..some armed and mounted participated in the fight even as the personal guard of the lucky general ..”les Amazones de Charette”
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Massacre_of_Machecoul
« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 04:31:05 PM by italwars »

Offline bluewillow

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Bluewillow- Matthew Williamson
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2019, 12:09:03 PM »
I am currently working on the start of my Vendee wars figures, I have purchased one from a AIW range that would be suitable with some additions.

I plan to conduct 1/5 to 1/20 figure ratio clashes depending upon the Battles, Battles like Entrammes maybe even 1/30. I am looking forward to the new figures coming from Emperors toad Revolutoionary range, as I have a few examples that I will review in the coming weeks to fill our my Catholic Royal army with.

cheers
Matt

Offline Khmorg

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2019, 05:36:34 PM »
I can make any lady. Even the lady who drank tea with cakes ;)

Offline McKipper

• Lurker
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2019, 04:47:44 AM »
Black Scorpion miniatures have some female pirate figures that maybe of use.

https://www.blackscorpionminiatures.com/index.php?cPath=27&osCsid=g0sleqdk264cf44u7g2hpa0p46

Offline Moriarty

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2019, 01:28:39 PM »
Have you tried Irregular Miniatures? The have a lot of weird stuff on their site.

Offline italwars

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2019, 12:35:31 PM »
Many thanks to all ..for your dedicated suggestions..
Moriarty ..Irregular is always a good and cheap  source..but i do not see any women except some ancient/middle age ones..which required, probably, a good ammount of conversion work beyond my capabilities..
Kmhorg..already discovered the range to which you're probably the boss behind  ;)..Speira miniatures...for the moment i see you've produced a nice Marie Antoniette which charme has been mortified by Sans Culotte mob and reduced in an humble victim before Guillotine :'(...the other Ladies..pardon women...are too much "femmes du peuples" for my purpose and tastes..not only in a 28mm mini's wargame contest but also in real life : 8)
MC Kipper..Black Scorpion miniatures seems nice...but maybe they are those kind of splendid resin, over sized, over priced artworks aimed at the Fantasy market...anyway i would willinlgy date "Esmeralda" or "Nuria del Fuego"..even if the "Governor's daughter" seem more appriopriate

Bluewillow....very interesting projects the ones you're working on...i never heard about an historical wargame approach as concerned to such an "out of the beaten path" wargame period...normallly the very few wargame articles or web reports with picts are only generic battles or more frequently pure game  skirmishes... by contrast, Vendée and Chouan's revolts in Bretagne is one of my top favorite periods of research..me too i'm trying to shape an historical battle...as you know is not easy to find detailed battle maps and accounts even thousands of books have been published  about "La Guerre de Vendée"...i only found a well written but short recollections of essays that  focus on the pure military aspect...some battle maps are on line ..not only in Wikipedia but also on the "Archives De Vendée" site....your scaled down battle projects seem very promising...i'm thinking about simulating the Battle of Thouars or at least a part of it..there is also a good wargame article in English for this battle..i only need to construct a ruined chateau and city walls!  o_o...i have quite a few 28mm minis..principally from Foundry, Charriot and the Italian form Mirliton which, nearly 30 years ago i suggested to the amazed sculptor to produce some few Vendéens and Bleus..i suppose that, isnce, i had been the only customer for those minis..i'm also the very lucky owner of quite a few France's produced Touller figurines both Bleus, Vendéens and Chouans which are splendidly researched..unfortunatly the poor designer and man under Touller, a very kind and brilliant artist with whom i had a pair of very good conversations in French by phone talking about many matters, left us some years ago..anyway i really would like to talk and exchange ideas, sources about the Vendée War..i have some good sources

Offline Khmorg

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2019, 05:53:05 PM »

Kmhorg..already discovered the range to which you're probably the boss behind  ;)..Speira miniatures...for the moment i see you've produced a nice Marie Antoniette which charme has been mortified by Sans Culotte mob and reduced in an humble victim before Guillotine :'(...the other Ladies..pardon women...are too much "femmes du peuples" for my purpose and tastes..not only in a 28mm mini's wargame contest but also in real life : 8)

Unfortunately not.
But it does not matter. I can like this ....
http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=103331.msg1283909#msg1283909
And .... even better!

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2019, 06:20:27 PM »
I can't help with the ladies, but have you seen this little range we carry:

http://northstarfigures.com/list.php?man=60&cat=447&page=1

There's some great characters here.

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2019, 07:16:41 PM »

Maybe this could be inspiration to add some more to the range?
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline italwars

• Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2019, 08:26:56 PM »

Thanks Nick...of course I already own some of your nice range..some Cisalpinians and some Italian bandits that have already fought vs my French ..but I saw you have added some new subjects ..like the “Représentant du Peuple en mission”..I have to consider to buy them maybe when I’ll approach to the other interesting subjects that you peoduced like the BSAP for a Shangani Patrol scénario vs zulus playing as proxies of the Matabele!

Offline vtsaogames

• Mastermind
    • Corlears Hook Fencibles
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2019, 01:59:26 AM »
Oh my, Vendee rebels, United Irishmen, General Humbert. I didn't see that. Oh my.
And the glorious general led the advance
With a glorious swish of his sword and his lance
And a glorious clank of his tin-plated pants. - Dr. Seuss

My blog: http://corlearshookfencibles.blogspot.com/