Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 01:26:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Small scale 18th Century?  (Read 1083 times)

Offline Khurasan Miniatures

• Mastermind
  • Miniature manufacturer to the stars
    • Khurasan Miniatures
Small scale 18th Century?
« on: April 04, 2019, 01:55:53 AM »
For WSS to, say, SYW, is 6mm or 10mm the more popular of the small scales?

I tried 10mm for ACW (admittedly a later period) but I found painting them not a lot simpler than 15s, with less visual appeal. So not easier to paint than 15s, making it harder to paint tons of them. But I’ll admit it was just one experiment, with the truly gorgeous, exquisitely detailed GHQ, so that might explain it ....
Khurasan Miniatures

Like us on Facebook for updates:
http://www.facebook.com/khurasanminiatures

Offline Inkpaduta

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
Re: Small scale 18th Century?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2019, 04:20:43 AM »
By what I see posted on various sites I would say that 6mm is more popular.

Offline Mindenbrush

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2019, 12:34:08 PM »
Most people I know here in Canada - Montreal and Ottawa - are going with 15/18mm figures as they are reasonably detailed, paint up well, look good in larger units and fit in with existing scenery that they have.

Wargamers do it on a table.
YNWA - It is not a badge, it is a family crest
Montreal Historical Wargaming Club

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2019, 01:55:16 PM »
If I ever break down and return to the SYW I face the conundrum of which scale.  I am dedicated to 15 mm but I've considered 2mm, 6mm, and 10mm for SYW.  I even painted up a couple of stands of 2mm I got as samples from Irregular when they used to include such in orders.  They actually worked quite well and painted up pretty quick.  Actually, if someone came out with a decent range in 4 mm, I'd probably make the jump - as long as the price was right, of course!  That size is enough larger to get some detail without getting too large.  The big challenge is to avoid unsightly labels on nice figures - entirely spoils the effect of miniatures gaming for me; might as well play a board game instead.  And that is not for me.

Offline boywundyrx

• Librarian
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2019, 02:49:09 PM »
If I ever break down and return to the SYW I face the conundrum of which scale.  I am dedicated to 15 mm but I've considered 2mm, 6mm, and 10mm for SYW.  I even painted up a couple of stands of 2mm I got as samples from Irregular when they used to include such in orders.  They actually worked quite well and painted up pretty quick.  Actually, if someone came out with a decent range in 4 mm, I'd probably make the jump - as long as the price was right, of course!  That size is enough larger to get some detail without getting too large.  The big challenge is to avoid unsightly labels on nice figures - entirely spoils the effect of miniatures gaming for me; might as well play a board game instead.  And that is not for me.

Have you seen Oddzial Osmy and Magister Militum's 3mm stuff?  Compared to 2mm, both will feel like 4mm, might even measure to that.  MM has some 17th century through to the tricorne era, O8 just released SYW figures earlier this year.

Chris

Offline abu iskander

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2019, 04:57:40 PM »
This 2mm stuff looks pretty interesting. Its 3D print, but something like 15 USD get you unlimited access to a growing shape library.

https://forwardmarchstudios.com/

I've recently become enamored by Bruce Weigle's 6mm tables, so have gone that direction with my SYW. Here's the start of that project if you're interested http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=116087.0

Offline FierceKitty

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2019, 12:23:16 AM »
10mm won my heart years ago. I use it for everything from Agamemnon to Rommel by now, and wouldn't go back.
The laws of probability do not apply to my dice in wargames or to my finesses in bridge.