Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 03:39:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691079
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 843
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: A curious bit of miniature history: Essex orcs & goblins and Down in the Dungeon  (Read 1411 times)

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Does anyone recognise this?

I've just posted a blog on the link between the peculiar 80s book Down in the Dungeon and Essex's Great Scaley [sic] Orcs.

If anyone knows anything more about this, I'd love to hear it. I remember the Great Scaly Orcs very fondly from black-and-white ads in White Dwarf when I was a kid.

Offline Anselm van Helsing

• Scientist
That illustration cries Glorantha! for me. I see a Dark Troll and a Tusk Raider, even if the steel armour doesn't fit Glorantha at all.

And reading your blog, I just recognized one mystery miniature in my collection.  :)

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
That illustration cries Glorantha! for me. I see a Dark Troll and a Tusk Raider, even if the steel armour doesn't fit Glorantha at all.

Yes, there's definitely a hint of Uz about those fellows. And the Tusk Riders appear to be the origin of the link between orc-type creatures and boars in gaming.

And reading your blog, I just recognized one mystery miniature in my collection.  :)

One of the Scaly Orcs? They're a lot of fun - like big, goofy Doctor Who villains. You could imagine swinging a mace at one of those faces only to find papier mache giving way beneath your blow.

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
One of the Scaly Orcs? They're a lot of fun - like big, goofy Doctor Who villains. You could imagine swinging a mace at one of those faces only to find papier mache giving way beneath your blow.

For reasons unknown, that's brought to mind a Buffy episode where she is pummelling a defeated snake demon thing on the ground, and its head is wobbling back and forth in latex dynamism. You can image a comedy 'badoooiiing' noise as the orc gets a smack on the muzzle.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline The Dozing Dragon

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • The Little Soldier Company
The 54mm version are still available from Valiant Enteprises in the States.

https://www.veltd.net/collections/fantasy

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
For reasons unknown, that's brought to mind a Buffy episode where she is pummelling a defeated snake demon thing on the ground, and its head is wobbling back and forth in latex dynamism. You can image a comedy 'badoooiiing' noise as the orc gets a smack on the muzzle.

Ha!

Well, if I recall correctly, one of Tolkien's many postulated origins for the orcs was a sort of animated "puppet" ...

The Dozing Dragon,
I'd forgotten about those; I'd seen the Man-Orc soldiers before, but I don't think I knew they made the boar-rider. Do you know how long those have been around?

Offline The Dozing Dragon

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • The Little Soldier Company
Quote from: Hobgoblin
The Dozing Dragon,
I'd forgotten about those; I'd seen the Man-Orc soldiers before, but I don't think I knew they made the boar-rider. Do you know how long those have been around?

Since the 70s, not sure exactly how long though.