Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 03:46:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690524
  • Total Topics: 118335
  • Online Today: 732
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Olaf the Wasteland Wrestler  (Read 6132 times)

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • And when Eric eats a banana...
Re: Olaf the Wasteland Wrestler
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2009, 05:19:11 PM »
evangelical (generally equated with meaning conservative)
I am not sure that I would equate the two. I am comfortable being the first but I doubt people would describe me as the latter.
I know too well, I consider myself to be evangelical, but I'm not conservative, I've started calling myself post-evangelical, as in I'm from the evangelical tradition, but don't want to be associated with the conservative rightwing (and typically American) Christianity that often is equated with evangelicism.

as a Christian (and a pastor)
You too, huh?
There are a few of us around, are you also a pastor?

I've yet to understand why they do it
I think that it's because some Christians accept the fact that Jesus called them to "Make disciples of all peoples" (Matthew 28:19) and so make an effort to evangelise (share the good news of what God has done for them) but probably haven't got the courage to do it in a more meaningful way.
Just to be sure I'm not misundertsood, I take those words pretty seriously, but waving a banner expecting people to understand what you mean is rather naive, as is ramming your religion down people's throats. I'm convinced the only way is open and honest conversation that goes both ways, and just to confuse anyone thats bothered to read this post so far (well done by the way!) I'm pretty Pauline in that respect.

I was only talking this morning on this. We have a son on the Autistic Spectrum. His condition and that of others with ASD have taught me a lot about faith and people in general.
The way we have to relate to him is by entering his understanding of the world but so often the system tries to cram him into their understanding. Down the centuries the Church has often tried to do the same.

Unfortunately the church has been very much formed by the culture of the times around it, and as a result it has often acted in the same way as the rest of the world during its history. The church is always an amalgam of the biblical narrative and the culture in which it is sited (and often previous cultures too). Whatever historical thing you're studying you can never put a 21st century head on 10th century shoulders, and we'll always be preduced by our own cultures values when analysising the past. not that I'm trying to justify it of course :)

But maybe this conversion is for else where (?)
« Last Edit: June 14, 2009, 05:25:33 PM by dijit »

Offline answer_is_42

• Mastermind
  • Mostly Harmless.
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2009, 06:00:20 PM »
@ Opening Post; resource war? Huh? Is there something I’m missing here, or is this your own background? I’d like to know more.

But maybe this conversion is for else where (?)
Perhaps you could start a thread in open talk? Faith is always a good subject for conversation.
(For what's worth, I'm an atheist and find the whole concept of religion completely absurd. Much like the rest of the Bible, John 3:16 is rather insulting, don't you think?)
« Last Edit: June 14, 2009, 06:52:24 PM by answer_is_42 »
I told you so. You damned fools.
 - H.G. Wells

Offline TheMightyFlip

• Mastermind
  • Smoggie!!
    • Flips Miniatures
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2009, 06:14:29 PM »
Its my own background, I have a whole load of future history stuff floating around in my head, mostly stolen from lots of sources and then jumbled together.

I just thought it would be cool to have a little fun story rather than "Heres my mini, rate it rargh"

As for knowing more, I'l write more with more mini's I post  :D

Offline capthugeca

• Mad Scientist
  • “Life is too important to take seriously.”
    • Ten Mil Wargames
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2009, 07:24:20 PM »
I agree with Duncan and Peter. The conversation needs to go elsewhere.
I'm happy to discuss things in Open Talk if others wish.
Mind you, I'll bet we'll all be more careful what we paint on our figures from now on!  ;)
I don\'t know whether to be a good example or a horrible warning.