Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:13:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Returning to SoTR/The Hobby after 10 years.  (Read 26372 times)

Offline Bowiefan

• Bookworm
Re: Returning to SoTR/The Hobby after 10 years.
« Reply #45 on: July 03, 2019, 04:58:22 PM »
@Wolt: Ah go on, just buy them. No harm ever came from buying a few miniatures...

@Glen: Got a couple of miniatures I'm considering for an alternative Flesh Golem. I quite like the idea of using an old Marauder/GW Treeman, or maybe a robot as some sort of Alan Turing prototype (one of the better ideas I found in Konflikt 47 that I didn't feel was lifted straight from SoTR).

@Skullhamma: Thanks, glad to hear you found something of interest.

Jumped back into my Soviet force to paint something from the 'weird' spectrum. A squad of Siberian Sub-Humans certainly fit that bill, and I'm now at the point I can do 15-20RP forces with Soviet/British/German forces.

Offline streetkern

• Librarian
« Reply #46 on: July 04, 2019, 10:02:09 AM »
Look great and like the marauder Freeman / golem idea. Keep it coming!

Offline Ballardian

• Mastermind
  • Too old to stop now
« Reply #47 on: July 04, 2019, 03:52:59 PM »
 Nice :) For alternate flesh golem-style creatures, Privateer Press's Cephalyx faction in Warmachine have a few interesing options, like:

Offline Corporal Chaos

• Scientist
« Reply #48 on: July 07, 2019, 06:19:34 AM »
@Bowiefan I have found a rule set called Achtung Thulu do you know if this is similar or way off the mark?
I should be painting right now.

Offline Bowiefan

• Bookworm
« Reply #49 on: July 07, 2019, 09:55:00 AM »
@Ballardian: Cool mini. Think I'm trying to avoid the overtly evil look though, with my Temple forces falling into the shades of grey area. The reason I'm drawn to a Treeman is based on having an idea of The Temple exploring the Green Man concept, and perhaps finding and capturing the creature behind it, maybe in the woodlands of the UK, or in Germany's Black Forest.

@Bowiefan I have found a rule set called Achtung Thulu do you know if this is similar or way off the mark?

Achtung Cthulu? That came out during my hobby break. I know it's an RPG game, and the setting will share some themes as far as pulpy WWII goes, although obviously it leans more on the Lovecraft aspect. That's about as much as I know though sorry, roleplaying games are not anything I've ever really engaged with. Anyone else able to chime in? Glenn?

Offline Ballardian

• Mastermind
  • Too old to stop now
« Reply #50 on: July 08, 2019, 05:00:03 PM »
Corporal Chaos might be referring to the tabletop skirmish spin-off from the AC rpg, quite a decent game in it's own right. Modiphius do some excellent looking minis for it, though they are on the small side compared to WW or WG figures.

Offline Corporal Chaos

• Scientist
« Reply #51 on: July 09, 2019, 11:34:17 PM »
Thanks for the replies guys. Yes it is the tt rules set.

Offline Skullhamma

• Scientist
    • 15mm through space and time blog
« Reply #52 on: July 11, 2019, 09:11:05 AM »
Those blue skins tones and the injection tubes are really great!

Offline Bowiefan

• Bookworm
« Reply #53 on: July 11, 2019, 08:38:31 PM »
Thanks for clarifying Ballardian. I realise I'd seen some of the Achtung! Cthulhu miniatures previously, but never realised there was a ruleset to go with them. We're all learning!

@skullhamma: Thanks. I've been trying something 'new' on most of the minis I've painted, and the injection tubes filled that role on the sub-humans. The gloss varnish probably does most of the work making them look like liquid in tubes.

The most recent 'new' thing I tried was painting with washes over a white undercoat. I had a Reaper Bones Flesh Golem, and the skin seemed like it would be a good chance to try various washes. I didn't really intend to use it in for my SoTR forces, but it came out well enough that I finished it and I'll probably make use of it for my Temple force.

Offline Legion1963

• Mastermind
« Reply #54 on: August 11, 2019, 07:48:34 PM »
Indeed. And ... wellcome back to the realm. Interesting and funny to read your story of how you was distracted and what made you stop being lost. A bit like my own story which i have already related here. Enjoy. ;-)

Offline Bowiefan

• Bookworm
« Reply #55 on: August 14, 2019, 07:28:26 PM »
You will have to link me Legion. Be interested in the account of another returning addict!

Offline Bowiefan

• Bookworm
« Reply #56 on: October 01, 2019, 08:34:08 PM »
Been a few months away occupied with other projects, but always have my SoTR forces in the back of my mind. Returned to my Soviet force for a couple of 'quick wins' and finished a Command Section and a Survivor Squad.

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Chicago Skirmish Wargames
« Reply #57 on: October 10, 2019, 08:37:23 PM »
Just wanted to say that I found this thread extremely encouraging. I've been mostly out of minis for the past 2 years and the last thing I was working on was a Konflikt47 force.  This is making me want to break them out again and keep painting.

Getting started with a SoTR force was a particularly good choice on your part.  It's perfectly useable in a wide variety of WWW2 games (I notice your mention of Konflikt).    I'd never discourage anyone from using any rules they like, but there always seems to be at least one WWW2 ruleset recently released so if you're flexible with rules there's always the potential of some games.

Offline Bowiefan

• Bookworm
« Reply #58 on: October 15, 2019, 12:40:43 PM »
Glad you found something in the thread helpful eilif, and thanks for reading it. I have the rulebooks for Konflikt 47, but naturally SoTR is my favourite WWW2 game, just because it was the one I was exposed to first. The prospects of playing either game are slim to none alas. Even regular Bolt Action doesn't seem to have many local players. If it's not Games Workshop, it is an uphill battle. Therefore this is a project that I'm returning to now and then, purely for my own enjoyment.

Offline Glenn

• Bookworm
« Reply #59 on: October 27, 2019, 08:14:46 PM »
Glad you found something in the thread helpful eilif, and thanks for reading it. I have the rulebooks for Konflikt 47, but naturally SoTR is my favourite WWW2 game, just because it was the one I was exposed to first. The prospects of playing either game are slim to none alas. Even regular Bolt Action doesn't seem to have many local players. If it's not Games Workshop, it is an uphill battle. Therefore this is a project that I'm returning to now and then, purely for my own enjoyment.

i feel your pain fella, my own collection of SOTR and www2 stuff is pretty big (though no doubt dwarfed by soem on these forums) but I just don't get any chance to play with them other than as figures for skirmishes in occasional www2 rpgs based somewhere between SOTR and Godlike!.

Keep the faith mate!

;)

Glenn