Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:12:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Returning to SoTR/The Hobby after 10 years.  (Read 26371 times)

Offline FreakyFenton

• Mastermind
Re: Returning to SoTR/The Hobby after 10 years.
« Reply #75 on: March 29, 2020, 12:15:56 AM »
Don't downtalk your conversion with greenstuff, I thought the stole was part of the mini beforehand.  :D
"No human being would stack books like -that-!" -Dr. Peter Venkman

Offline Bowiefan

• Bookworm
« Reply #76 on: May 03, 2020, 05:06:02 PM »
Hi all. Another intermittent update. If you're British and have ever watched A Bridge Too Far, it is probably impossible to not want to paint some Airborne at some point. My Brit force will be very combined arms, for the sake of variety. Gives me a chance to paint regular infantry, Denison smocks, covert Templars and plenty of other weirdness. Took the opportunity to paint up this mortar team as Paras:

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #77 on: May 05, 2020, 06:35:44 PM »
Very nice.

WestWind berets are always very jaunty.

Offline Bowiefan

• Bookworm
« Reply #78 on: May 08, 2020, 12:07:50 PM »
WestWind berets are always very jaunty.

Haha, I'd have to agree. In fact quite a few West Wind minis are fairly chipper despite the setting. Perhaps it's part of the charm.

Offline Bowiefan

• Bookworm
« Reply #79 on: May 08, 2020, 06:38:24 PM »
Finished a Jaegerhund Werewolf pack today. Honestly, they are rushed as I wanted to complete them whilst having the day off work. They will do the job though, and maybe I can return to them at a later date.

« Last Edit: May 08, 2020, 06:42:07 PM by Bowiefan »

Offline Ragsta

• Scientist
« Reply #80 on: June 04, 2020, 11:14:25 AM »
I love the camo effect on the wulfen trousers! And the Airborne are looking excellent, good jobs.

Offline Bowiefan

• Bookworm
« Reply #81 on: August 03, 2020, 04:07:51 PM »
I forgot to add my latest SoTR mini, so here's the enigmatic Dr. John Lazarus. Something of a filler, as I had analysis paralysis with what to do next. Have various options lined up. Wolfgang Faust and a squad of Wolf Runners. A T-34 tank and an Urzine. British infantry and maybe a Cromwell. I haven't even started dabbling with US forces yet!:

Offline Bowiefan

• Bookworm
« Reply #82 on: January 24, 2021, 11:31:02 PM »
I've not kept this topic up to date! Not much more to add alas. Some German troops painted up. Machine Gun teams and panzerfaust allow me field 2 squads of 10 with decent equipment.

Offline Bowiefan

• Bookworm
« Reply #83 on: January 24, 2021, 11:36:22 PM »
Also painted up the commander of my German Special Weapons Development Platoon, the albino werewolf Wolfgang Faust. Regressed to my usual poor photography unfortunately.

Offline Ragsta

• Scientist
« Reply #84 on: January 25, 2021, 06:20:28 PM »
Nonsense! These latest additions look excellent!

I can see the NCOs now: “Hold it, boys - we’re sending the zombies in again...”

Offline Bowiefan

• Bookworm
« Reply #85 on: January 28, 2021, 07:25:51 PM »
I can see the NCOs now: “Hold it, boys - we’re sending the zombies in again...”

You've nailed the sort of reason I went with the West Wind Berlin or Bust line for the basic troops. I liked the starker contrast of those, war weary human troops numbly fighting alongside werewolves and zombies.

British Airborne bazooka team. Small weapon teams certainly paint up quicker than full squads.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2021, 07:32:18 PM by Bowiefan »

Offline Bowiefan

• Bookworm
« Reply #86 on: February 01, 2021, 10:08:49 PM »
Stubbornly, I'm always trying to find a way to play Secrets of the Third Reich games. Platoon level engagements against other players don't seem possible currently, so I've explored other options. Decided to adapt the setting to the pulpy, miniature agnostic Fistful of Lead rules, by Wiley Games. I've never played it before, but I know plenty on this forum will know it. My first game was a Soviet vs German clash near an abandoned farm. Have to make do with what I have, so a 2x2 mat, played on the floor. The ragtag Soviet survivors were lead by a Siberian subhuman super soldier. The Germans are a Special Weapons Development force. They are a counts as 'necromancer' group, which seemed to allow for a horde of zombies lead by a few scientific/military personnel.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2021, 08:38:09 AM by Bowiefan »

Offline Bowiefan

• Bookworm
« Reply #87 on: February 09, 2021, 08:39:14 AM »
Forces:

Offline Bowiefan

• Bookworm
« Reply #88 on: March 09, 2021, 10:46:41 PM »
A squad of Wolf Runners. That counts as progress I think, even if has taken a few months.

Offline manic _miner

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Four A miniatures
« Reply #89 on: October 06, 2021, 02:21:02 PM »
 This is a great thread with loads of great figures painted up.

I got into this range Years ago but never got around to painting any of them.I now feel inspired to dig them out.

Westwind have miniatures for Japan listed with art work but no actual pictures of the figures.Does anyone have any.I do like the Oni they have on the site.The last book released looks like a might buy option too.

Also got quite a lot of the Actung Cuthulhu miniatures range.Again not painted any of them yet though.Really nice figures.