Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 01:13:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690921
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 657
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Basing trees on washers  (Read 2224 times)

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
Basing trees on washers
« on: June 14, 2009, 06:57:54 PM »
I recently got a bunch of K&M pine trees, and as they come without the 'root-bit' which is easily glued unto a washer, I'm now in need of a method to stick such a tree to a washer in a way that's both sturdy and ensuring an erect (vertical) position.

How would you gentlemen go about this?

I could use a glue gun, but it would probably result in pines pointing in all directions instead of standing erect....
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Mad Carew Snr

• Scientist
  • One in the Eye for the little yellow god
Re: Basing trees on washers
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2009, 07:09:11 PM »
I stick trees like that in a bit of green stuff that I try to blend into the base - if you want to get clever you can then make sticking-out roots and the like
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way
The time is gone
The song is over
Thought I'd something more to say

Offline duhamel

• Mastermind
  • voyageur
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2009, 07:12:07 PM »
I stick trees like that in a bit of green stuff that I try to blend into the base - if you want to get clever you can then make sticking-out roots and the like

Not better I makes the same thing(matter)
“Le courage consiste à avoir peur mais à continuer tout de même.”

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\" The courage consists in being afraid but in continuing all the same. \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"

Offline Glitzer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2009, 07:47:19 PM »
Depending on how real you want the tree to look, there are different options. Above mentioned options include something like roots, or at least a cone. Unless you want to use the trees for 15mm games, a real tree usually wouldn't show such features until it reaches a diameter that shoud be enough to cover the hole in the middle of the washer, and that would be real big trees, the dimensions I'm talking of are DBH 50cm+ (DBH=diameter at breast height). Forrests are usually located in areas that were uninteresting for agriculture, so some levelling as a small bulge on top of the washer wouldn't look out of place. Same ist true for solitary trees, as errosion due to agriculture usually happens around a tree. No farmer with a sane mind would dare ruining his tools of trade by plowing to near to the tree (unless he's really desperate of course).

On the other hand, despite knowing how trees really look, I never removed the tentacle/root-thingies from my own trees, nobody with a sane mind should notice that fact anyways.  ;)
« Last Edit: June 14, 2009, 08:19:27 PM by Glitzer »
Far less active than I used to...

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2009, 09:17:16 PM »
Thanks, fellas.

I think I've figured a way to do it; as the K&M trees have a somewhat thick core of twisted wire (much like a bottle-cleaner) that protrudes from the end of the trunk, I may add a piece of wood/plywood/whatever to the top of the washer, and then drill a hole that the wire fits into. Then glue the wire into the hole before or after doing a bit of filler-work on the base.... should work if I can drill the hole precisely vertical.... (I should get me one of those drilling stations)