Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 03:18:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: What in your opinion has to be included in a set of Pulp Rules?  (Read 4516 times)

Offline Doomhippie

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: What in your opinion has to be included in a set of Pulp Rules?
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2009, 01:29:45 PM »
I seem to recall somke weird SF/Fantasy roleplaying game where you could earn "possibility points" you could use these to re-roll dice throws, make several moves at once, use a skill that you don't have or simply to get hints from the GM etc.  I always thought this idea worked well and it did allow characters to do memorable daring feats (think indiana Jones escaping several death traps at once AND retreiving his hat). Perhaps you could call something similar "hero points" and allocate them to heros and villains alike? Just an idea

Uuh, I've bought it a couple of years ago! Complete second hand. Torg is the name.
But hero points sounds a lot like .45 Adventures...
Roky Erickson flies my spaceship!

Offline TadPortly

• Mad Scientist
    • http://www.oxfordhousehold.co.uk/
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2009, 09:34:50 PM »
It was a looooooooooooooong time ago, but do remember being able to use "possibilities" to do extra moves, actions etc.  Now I know the name, from Wikipedia:

Torg billed itself as a "cinematic" game and tried to emphasize game play in a manner similar to adventure films such as Indiana Jones. Terminology used in the game reflected this fact. For example, adventures were divided into sub units known as "acts" and "scenes". Conflict resolution also reflected the cinematic nature of the game. Actions were resolved by a player rolling a twenty sided die against a difficulty number. The degree by which the roll exceeded the difficulty number of the task influenced how successful the player was at the action. Rolls of 10 or 20 allowed the player to roll again, adding their new roll to the old. This could be continued indefinitely as long as the player rolled 10 or 20, allowing for fantastic feats in a cinematic style. The wound system, which stressed incapacitating damage over lethal kinds, also mimicked the style of adventure films, wherein the hero may often be incapacitated, but is rarely killed.

In addition, Torg used an unusual card based system to augment gameplay. A hand of cards were dealt to each player at the beginning of the game. The rest were stacked in front of the game master. Cards could be used by both players and game masters to influence play. Whenever a combat encounter began the game master would flip over a card which would dictate certain advantages and disadvantages for the players and the NPCs. Players could also use cards to give themselves advantages or even plotlines which could result in extra points.

Players were rewarded with "possibility points." These points could, as in most games, be spent to improve the characters abilities. However, unlike in most roleplaying games, possibility points, or "possibility energy" also existed as an in-game phenomenon, and characters could spend them to achieve certain effects, such as healing, or warping reality.

« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 09:38:38 PM by TadPortly »
They were all drawn to the Keep; the soldiers who brought death; the father and daughter fighting for life; the people who have always feared it; and the one man who knows its secret....

Offline rjandron

• Bookworm
    • Historical Wargames
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2009, 04:12:30 PM »
Thanks again for all the comments. I'll keep people here posted on the rules development, as well as posting beta versions of the rules as they come available.

Please keep the opinions coming.
Historical Wargames - My Historical, Fantasy, Science Fiction, Steampunk, and Pulp Gaming Page.