Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 08:52:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Scratch built 28MM Artillery.  (Read 3637 times)

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Scratch built 28MM Artillery.
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2019, 06:20:03 PM »
Sorry I managed to turn the notifications off for your thread.

Yes nail art half beads are useful . I lost count of how many I used on The Solar boliered eatheral flyer ( I had to buy another three bags and they're approximately 1000 per bag. I've still some left some where )  They're easy enough to pick up on EBay. Down side they're tricky to use as they often refuse to go where you want as glue tension can cause them to drift once it starts to dry.Super glue will dry more slowly and around 1 in 10 will refuse to stick.
For card models you can easily use neat PVA and a cocktail stick to dab a drop onto the card.( you can slightly thicken the pva with talc. Or plaster of paris.It just raises the rivets a little higher off the card once it dries. The best way to apply these rivets is to mark out with a pen around ten points to apply glue over at a time. Then another ten points after that. Then you never loose(not for long  ) where you've placed the PVA dots when they dry clear.
PVA was the method I used on the traction engine.
Another method ( especially for materials other than card.) Is to used a tube the diameter of the size of rivet you want . Then use it to press out a rivet head in the location you want it . this method uses a two part clay such as greenstuff.
Or in the case of the howitzer I made. There's often no need to use rivets as they can overpower the model.

Mark.

Offline ulverston

• Scientist
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2019, 09:34:52 PM »
Thanks for the help Mark, I really appreciate this. For myself the saving of not having to buy an artillery piece means that I can buy another infantry unit. I just ordered some mdf wheels to enable me to make some more 18 pounders. This is definitely a learning curve! Also I just purchased the nail art beads, a great tip thank you.

I have seen your steam engine but not the flyer... have you made anything else? I certainly would like to see more of your creations.

Breaking stuff down into shapes was such a useful tip by the way, thanks again for taking the time to respond.

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2019, 11:17:33 PM »
Just the odd dabble every now and again  ;) it's not a problem I can stop anytime  ;D

Sillyness aside.

I've a few threads that have been recently added to.
An armoured train on the back of beyond board.
Fokker Universal tri motor and Fokker super.
Fire Engine and ladder.
1930's Ealing inspired table wip.
All three on the Pulp board.
Theres A multi role ship that can be rigged both as a fishing boat or tramp steamer or paddle steamer.
Over on colonial adventures ,That'll be quite a while a ago so you might have trouble finding it (let me know and I'll take some more pictures and do another thread for you.)
Hard suit proxy on the future wars board.
A submarine on pulp.
The eather flyer is on VSF.
Theres a few more that I'm not sure when or where they are posted on the forum.
Plus a few tutorials and techniques for builds.
Most will probably be under a 'Tales from the tin shed' heading.
As I said I can quit any time. ;D

Offline ulverston

• Scientist
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2019, 07:00:25 PM »
Thanks for the list-this is my Saturday night sorted! Better than anything on TV.

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2019, 01:34:15 AM »
Don't forget your collection of Home Guard sculpts in the WWII board.  lol

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.