Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 12:26:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690857
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 884
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Whiteout - polar stuff  (Read 21059 times)

Offline Chris Abbey

• Mastermind
    • Sally 4th Wargames Terrain & Figure Storage
Re: something a little different - Sno-Cat and other polar stuff
« Reply #60 on: April 14, 2019, 02:36:26 PM »
Work in progress on today's little project, an ice bound ship tile for Whiteout!
I'm using a spare Tramp Steamer that I assembled for writing the kit instructions.
I'm setting it into a 2' x 1' Terra-Former Tile. All the other tiles are going to be 1' square for maximum swapability.

Chris Abbey
Www.sally4th.co.uk

Offline Chris Abbey

• Mastermind
« Reply #61 on: April 14, 2019, 06:07:25 PM »
Work in progress on the prototype Sally 4th Jamesway Hut.
This is to scale and is actually the smallest size that was supplied. The width goes to double this, and it was supplied in depths of 6' multiples. This is scale 30' deep or 5 bays. I've made an accurate support structure in case any one wants to model a derelict one with canvas removed! I've made base bigger at front as photos often show a porch way to keep the weather out made from the packing cases the hut was supplied in.

Offline Rich H

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #62 on: April 14, 2019, 07:04:20 PM »
Cool!

Or shoudl I say COLD!

Offline Rich H

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #63 on: April 14, 2019, 10:32:25 PM »
Nearly done.

Offline Rich H

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #64 on: April 14, 2019, 10:40:10 PM »
OK for anyone reading this wondering what is going on it's in order to test a new set of rules I've been kicking around for a bit. 

It's a co-op/solo game of polar exploration, secret missions and trying not to die in the snowy wastes...

Currently it's a very early stage with my crack team of testers currently giving it a pull through.

Hopefully more to follow....

Offline Chris Abbey

• Mastermind
« Reply #65 on: April 15, 2019, 01:01:07 PM »
In June Sally 4th will be launching our 3rd Classic Movies Kickstarter, based on adventurers in the Arctic and mountainous environments. At the core are some lovely looking miniatures that Mark Fuller has sculpted for us ‘inspired by’ some favorite films set in cold places. We are very fortunate that at the same time as we were developing this range and associated Arctic terrain that quiet independently, Richard Humble has been developing an exciting Solo / Co-Op play set of rules; Whiteout which is also set in the Arctic. We have agreed to work together, Sally 4th will publish the Whiteout rules, cards and vehicles that Richard has designed alongside our own Arctic models as part of our Kickstarter which will run for 2 week in June with fulfillment in December.

Project Includes
•   Ski-doo kit (metal & resin kit)
•   Medium SnowCat & Trailer (MDF & Card Kit)
•   Large SnowCat (Resin Kit)
•   Arctic Science researchers (4 fig pack)
•   Skiers (4 fig pack)
•   Arctic soldiers (4 fig pack)
•   Sub Conning tower breaking through ice (MDF, Card, 3-Decals and resin)
•   Arctic research station (MDF & card)
•   Crashed Satellite / Camera Objective Marker (resin)
•   Jamesway Hut – Accommodation (MDF & card)
•   Jamesway Hut – Garage (MDF & card)
•   Expedition dome tent (resin)
•   Tramp steamer kit for Ice Bound Ship
•   Printed Whiteout Rulebook
•   Printed Whiteout cards

Stretch Goals
•   Ice Station Zebra Character Pack
•   Soviet Paratroopers in Arctic Kit
•   Character pack based on ‘The Thing’
•   Dog Sledge Pack
•   Man pulled sledge pack
•   Arctic wildlife pack

Any additional stretch goal ideas, please let us know.
We are really looking forward to working with Richard , Mark and Nik from N-FX to deliver a great game with a complete accompanying set of miniatures, terrain and vehicles.

Offline Chris Abbey

• Mastermind
« Reply #66 on: April 15, 2019, 01:05:30 PM »
I've also been very busy at the weekend, working on my own set of terrain for 'Whiteout'

I've put together a hobby blog where I will document the progress of the terrain boards and features, as well of course as sharing the key developments here.

http://wargamesbuildings.co.uk/Hobby-Blog/Whiteout-Arctic-Gaming

Offline ivor13

• Scientist
    • Saturday Mornings 13
« Reply #67 on: April 15, 2019, 02:48:23 PM »
This looks absolutely amazing Chris, Rich, and Mark!!! Can't wait for the Kickstarter  :D

Regarding the stretch goals for 'The Thing' which movie are you basing the figures of off, the original (and best  :) ) 1951 version or the Kurt Russell 1982  version?

Offline Chris Abbey

• Mastermind
« Reply #68 on: April 15, 2019, 03:11:31 PM »
I have a confession to make... I have not seen either version of 'The Thing', and we only included it in project because a couple of gamers looked at what we had done so far and said, that would be great for 'The Thing', so it is on my to watch list, certainly for before the Kickstarter. Mark often takes elements from different depictions of something to feed into a miniature, so interested to hear his thoughts. We would need to pick 4 characters to make a pack, and of course the stretch goal would need to be met too!

Offline Panama

• Scientist
« Reply #69 on: April 15, 2019, 03:44:51 PM »
All looks great Chris, I've never done a kickstarter before but it might be time to dip my toes :)

Offline Commander Roj

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #70 on: April 15, 2019, 08:10:46 PM »
In June Sally 4th will be launching our 3rd Classic Movies Kickstarter, based on adventurers in the Arctic and mountainous environments. At the core are some lovely looking miniatures that Mark Fuller has sculpted for us ‘inspired by’ some favorite films set in cold places. We are very fortunate that at the same time as we were developing this range and associated Arctic terrain that quiet independently, Richard Humble has been developing an exciting Solo / Co-Op play set of rules; Whiteout which is also set in the Arctic. We have agreed to work together, Sally 4th will publish the Whiteout rules, cards and vehicles that Richard has designed alongside our own Arctic models as part of our Kickstarter which will run for 2 week in June with fulfillment in December.

Project Includes
•   Ski-doo kit (metal & resin kit)
•   Medium SnowCat & Trailer (MDF & Card Kit)
•   Large SnowCat (Resin Kit)
•   Arctic Science researchers (4 fig pack)
•   Skiers (4 fig pack)
•   Arctic soldiers (4 fig pack)
•   Sub Conning tower breaking through ice (MDF, Card, 3-Decals and resin)
•   Arctic research station (MDF & card)
•   Crashed Satellite / Camera Objective Marker (resin)
•   Jamesway Hut – Accommodation (MDF & card)
•   Jamesway Hut – Garage (MDF & card)
•   Expedition dome tent (resin)
•   Tramp steamer kit for Ice Bound Ship
•   Printed Whiteout Rulebook
•   Printed Whiteout cards

Stretch Goals
•   Ice Station Zebra Character Pack
•   Soviet Paratroopers in Arctic Kit
•   Character pack based on ‘The Thing’
•   Dog Sledge Pack
•   Man pulled sledge pack
•   Arctic wildlife pack

Any additional stretch goal ideas, please let us know.
We are really looking forward to working with Richard , Mark and Nik from N-FX to deliver a great game with a complete accompanying set of miniatures, terrain and vehicles.

Sounds great. I’m thinking even more Bond...stealthy with snowsuit and silenced pistol, and on a snowboard. Other Arctic film inspiration might include a film also called “Whiteout” a female US Marshall in snow gear perhaps?

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #71 on: April 15, 2019, 09:12:30 PM »
I'm currently working on combining elements from all three films (1951,1982, 2011).heres the first test musing.Not a master just a styling test.
Mark.

Offline Rich H

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Whiteout - polar stuff
« Reply #72 on: April 15, 2019, 09:59:21 PM »
Really cool

I've modified the first post to clarify what is going on a bit...  repeated here:

I started kicking the idea of a Co-op/solo polar exploration game after watching 'The Thing' (the later one not the 50s one)   So after a plea on here for a bit of help it turns out Chris has a kickstarter for exactly the right minis!  So I basically ended up drafting Whiteout 

You take you intrepid team of 3-6 explorers into the arctic tundra to carry out the bidding of a pretty shady government.  Your plausibly deniable (and extremely expendable) crew are sent off to clean up various government messes on the quiet while the environment, local fauna and the opposing government's troops do their best to kill you.

The concept is one of random terrain generation and random encounters all driven by cards (3 decks of standards playing cards will do but proper cards will be available eventually).  No two missions will be the same and the game will hinge around hording stuff to stay alive while actually getting the job done before you freeze to death or lose the plot... Add in a dose of paranoia, submarines and polar bears for good measure.

Currently the game is in the early stages of alpha testing and clarifications where my perfectly formed rules unravels for want of a comma...   lol   I've also been schooled on wolves and whiskey.

Fortunately I've got a decent bunch of testers who aren't worried about upsetting me  :(  Which is exactly what is needed from the playtesters!   :D   

More will follow.
Rich

Offline Overlord

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Top Geezer
    • The Sweeney
Re: Whiteout - polar stuff
« Reply #73 on: April 15, 2019, 10:33:37 PM »
You may want to contact Hu Rhu who did a very similar game at BLAM '17

Build thread here:  https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=94670.0
2024 Lead Tally: Acq: 013 Ptd: 055  Total: +042
2023 Lead Tally: Acq: 560 Ptd: 056  Total: -504