Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 11:05:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690579
  • Total Topics: 118338
  • Online Today: 732
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Annie's Glittery Salute Report  (Read 3481 times)

Offline Annie

• Mad Scientist
  • "Down with this sort of thing!" (Careful now)
    • Bad Squiddo Games
Annie's Glittery Salute Report
« on: April 10, 2019, 12:47:40 PM »
Salute 2019!
Hello, I’m Annie from Bad Squiddo Games and here is my round up of Salute from a trader’s view. I’ve never been as a punter, so I only see set up and take down and anything on the route to the loo.
We manufacture 28mm believable female miniatures and recently launched a line of scatter terrain.

Footfall
I am terrible with guessing numbers of people but suffice to say we were rammed all day! Occasionally there would be a point of breathing and “oh wow I can see my stand again” and then a fresh wave of metal hungry folk would pour in. We use a open walk in stand and it always seems really great in both being accessible but also welcoming. We have no quibbles with takings or busyness and it was our most profitable show ever, which is super encouraging.

Customers
There was a huge amount of positive energy around our stand which I am still feeding off! We put a lot of effort into making it as welcoming and supportive as possible, with the staff being up to scratch with physical and mental issues and… not dicks. That’s the best way to put it! Salute and Crisis are the two shows we notice much more diverse numbers in terms of ages, genders and ethnicities. We’re still minorities, but it’s much less of a “deal” than it can be at smaller shows. The energy was very vibrant and encouraging.

Sophie from Needy Cat Games was working for us, and she got so excited when this chap asked her to sign his copy of Hellboy!

Weirdo Factor
Bad Squiddo is a company about women, run by a woman, in a largely male environment. We have enough terrible experience content for a book. Despite having 6 female staff on the day, we only had one reported incident. Yes, the bar is that low. And for such a large show, to just have one terrible person out of the thousands… wow. Again, sometimes at smaller shows there can be several incidents in a day. I think the diversity of the show adds to the…safety of the show? The staff member dealt with it herself and was aided by other customers in the area. We get a lot of crap online, yet when faced with us in the flesh, suddenly much quieter 😉 The outrageous business of creating tiny metal ladies with clothes on seems to cause some sort of intense rage in some people, so it was nice to have so many reassuring compliments, and of course people talking with their wallet.

Colouring in
We had our now traditional colouring in table, which was a roaring success as always and makes my heart grow so much. Basically anybody can come over…and colour in! The pencils can be taken away so you can even grab a few sheets and pencils to take home for someone – for free!

As you can imagine, it was a big hit with kids who I imagine get a bit of lead blindess being dragged around, as well as adults who just needed a sit down or time out. Many mental health suffers or neurodiverse folk can get overwhelmed in situations like a large show, so to have a quiet space is really important, and I am proud of it. It’s the second year of doing this and we’re going to do it every year now. Many thanks to Martin Whitmore – he’s done a load of our artwork but also let us use some of his other drawings for the colouring in purposes so there were fresh pieces to choose from.

Staff
Thank you so much to my Salute staff – Hayley, Sophie, Gayle, Claire, Trina, Paul & Ian for being incredible. I do all the prep and organising all the little details but they take over on the day and run a tight ship and let me pretty much do the schmoozing and information, so seeing them just be brilliant with everyone was fantastic. Ian from Fenris last minute got roped into being king of pre orders, Claire and Trina were delightful looking after the colouring in folk (and learning what Fortnite is), and the others just had the stand under control! The whole gang was just a dream team.

Positivity
Being told all day how much people love our stuff is such a huge boost. Especially when the internet can be full of negativity. I often work long hours and my health isn’t the best, so it can be a bit of a grind sometimes when you get hassle online, so just seeing so many happy faces, selling kids their first ever minis – just incredible.

This photograph is my favourite from the weekend. We were so tired and failing to take the picture that we just erupted into giggles that echoed across the hall.

What it means for Bad Squiddo
I often get told off from my friends for running myself into the ground with Salute prep but I do see it as a sort of New Year, and push myself to get as many new releases and other new shinies sorted for the day, and it pays off. We had a tough time last year due to my move to Nottingham and other personal circumstance which made us massively underprepared, and I really wanted to make this year the “comeback”, and we definitely did it, with balloons and all. It was lovely to have people notice too. The takings have cleared off some big bills and now that it’s “Wargaming New Year” we’ve got a fresh slate to start on our next projects. We have a dwarf adventurer Kickstarter coming up soon, as well as quite a heavy focus on small and regular WW2 releases, with other bits thrown in (Amazons anyone).

Despite appearing like a highly oiled large machine on the day, Bad Squiddo day to day is just me (Annie) spinning many plates, with occasional packing help from my most amazing mum. So all your support is absolutely adored by this overworked pixie.

Thank you!

…Best start prepping for 2020!

Annie

Offline mcfonz

• Mastermind
    • Poison Spurs - blog and reviews
Re: Annie's Glittery Salute Report
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2019, 01:41:46 PM »
So glad to hear you are continuing to build upon previous success.

Was also good to see you and the stand buzzing.
RP Tabletop Blog:

RP vlog channel: https://www.youtube.com/@RandomPlatypus

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2019, 01:53:59 PM »
Was that Phil Jupitus wanting an autograph?

Congrats on a successful show Annie. As this seems to the year of the Vietnam War range, how about some female Vietcong?
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Poiter50

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2019, 01:25:54 AM »
Second that. And Ristul's dead animals.

Was that Phil Jupitus wanting an autograph?

Congrats on a successful show Annie. As this seems to the year of the Vietnam War range, how about some female Vietcong?
Cheers,
Poiter50

Offline Eric the Shed

• Galactic Brain
    • The Shed Wars Experience
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2019, 07:38:21 AM »
Great report -well done

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2019, 08:34:32 AM »
Not able to find the time for salute for several years now, but really glad you as a trader and a person had a good show.

Really glad to that bad people were in such a minority to.

Here's to you and other traders for all your hard work, and looking forward to whatever you come out with next!

Especially if its Dwarf..

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2019, 10:01:36 AM »
The outrageous business of creating tiny metal ladies with clothes on seems to cause some sort of intense rage in some people, so it was nice to have so many reassuring compliments, and of course people talking with their wallet.

Fucking weird. Good to hear you all in all had a good Salute experience.

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2019, 11:09:34 AM »
There’s a pretty high incel count over on one of the other forums, hence the weird railing against women and any involvement, even miniature, in the hobby. I’m sure it’s not confined to that site or any particular country but the confected outrage seems most egregious there.

Offline The Dozing Dragon

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • The Little Soldier Company
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2019, 11:51:07 AM »
Always lovely to see you. My girlfriend was impressed as well  :)

Offline khartoum2

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2019, 01:08:00 PM »
My favourite stall of the show.  I bought a pack of land girls with guns and a pack of armed 1940's housewives which are great figures.

The figures are nice (especially the woman with the pistol and a cuppa) but what really made you the stall of the show for me was the vibrant fun loving attitude you all had, it was a pleasure.

couldn't think of a better place to spend my cash

Offline Annie

• Mad Scientist
  • "Down with this sort of thing!" (Careful now)
    • Bad Squiddo Games
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2019, 01:11:52 PM »
Thank you all, it's brilliant to have the kind words carry on after the show (my fuel, heh). This is definitely the best forum for lack of weirdos...well the wrong sort of weirdos anyway ;)

I'm glad our enthusiasm seems to have shone through :-* :-*

Offline Matakakea

• Scientist
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2019, 05:13:00 PM »
This was my first call after the doors opened. The service was good, and I got the Comandante Moreno I was after  ;Dfirst off, and a few other interesting items. What I will ever use a Peeg Mimic for I have no idea, but it looks good
I'm not a mercenary. Killing's more of a hobby for me.

Offline GDonk

• Scientist
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2019, 06:34:07 PM »
I don't get to a lot of shows as I'm on a rock in the English Channel but when I do your stand is a "must not miss" for me.  Love the scarecrow pack I got at Salute and the Landgirls I picked up at Hammerhead.  I can't believe that anyone would give you hassle, but then I'm just a naïve yokel living on a rock!  Keep up the excellent work - you're up there on my wife's list of heroines.

Offline Orctrader

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Orctrader's Painted Figures
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2019, 08:36:25 PM »
Good report.  I wasn't there so especially interesting.  Glad to see you had a good day.

The online weirdo stuff.  I had no idea.  At least there's none of that nonsense on LAF.   :)

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2019, 08:09:28 AM »
Good report.  I wasn't there so especially interesting.  Glad to see you had a good day.

The online weirdo stuff.  I had no idea.  At least there's none of that nonsense on LAF.   :)

There is *some* but that kind of nonsense tends to get shut down pretty fast.