Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 10:15:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686637
  • Total Topics: 118117
  • Online Today: 777
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Happy Chappy's Jaunt to Burgundy! - (12/11, P.10 - 1420s Foot Knights)  (Read 27145 times)

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
Fab stuff  :-* :-* :-*

I'll be reading the other thread with interest later today.  8)

Offline HappyChappy439

• Mastermind
Thanks everyone!

I particularly like the use of the shouty head from the Salute freebie archer  :)
As Richard said, excellent work (also good spot on the shouty archer).

Ah! He's just one of the plastic heads from the Agincourt English sprue, stuck on a French body and blended in with a bit of green-stuff! I don't think I'd have the heart to convert one of the Salute figures!

[/quote]
I also really like the command base...am guessing it’s for a particular set of rules?

Thanks! I don't think I had any particular rules in mind when I put the base together (it's the same sabot base I used for the unarmoured Duke John, but spun round so the figures are in a different configuration), so much as just wanting a bit of a centerpiece for the Duke himself! Though, in retrospect, NMTBH would probably work for HYW era forces without too much being changed, maybe a bit more focus on cavalry, and fewer handgunners!

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God

Ah! He's just one of the plastic heads from the Agincourt English sprue, stuck on a French body and blended in with a bit of green-stuff! I don't think I'd have the heart to convert one of the Salute figures!

Is he?! lol
I bought about eight of them off eBay ;)
I must check out the English Agincourt frames again and compare the two pieces. I’m sure I’ve used both of them in various builds for GoT. They look v similar :)

Offline HappyChappy439

• Mastermind
Re: Happy Chappy's Jaunt to Burgundy! - (30/12, P.9 - Lord of Ravenstein)
« Reply #123 on: December 30, 2020, 03:27:58 AM »
Hi again!

Another update, and the final one from me for 2020 it seems! (slightly pre-emptive Happy New Year!)

This update's zooming back to the later Burgundians with a character figure to represent (either) Adolph of Cleves, Lord of Ravenstein or his son Philip. The Lords of Ravenstein were a short-lived cadet branch of the Dukes of Cleves, from John I Duke of Cleves, and his wife Mary of Burgundy, the daughter of John the Fearless, rather than daughter of Charles the Bold in this case. By extension, this makes Adolph of Cleves-Ravenstein Philip the Good's nephew, and by pure chance, very high in the line of succession to Burgundy!

Adolph was a pretty active participant in Philip the Good and Charles the Bold's wars, including the Ghent rebellion in 1450, Montlhéry (as described quite nicely by Jean de Haynin) and Charles' later wars, while his son Philip only became involved after Charles' death, fighting against Louis XI on behalf of Mary of Burgundy. Though while Adolph was consistently loyal to Burgundy, Philip had a tendency to chronically switch sides, and ended up fighting for Mary of Burgundy, Maximilian von Habsburg, Flemish rebels against Maximilian, and finally for Louis XII in the Italian Wars

Charlie's thread here on the forum has gotten me hooked on the Burgundian Succession after Charles the Bold's death, and the potential "what if?" scenarios around it. I got quite attached to the idea of "what if Philip of Cleves decided to press his own claim during his abortive rebellion against Maximilian in the late 15th century?" or if Mary and Maximilian both mysteriously died childless, leaving Philip as one of the leading claimants in the succession. Helpfully, post-Montlhéry, the lords of Ravenstein adopt the Burgundian Blue/White (with a red cross) as their own personal livery as well, which is handy for recontextualising a force without needing to paint hundreds of newly liveried figures!  :D

So with that in mind I put together a figure to represent either Adolph or Philip, depending on the context or scenario

Unfortunately, the lords of Cleves-Ravenstein have a fiddly coat of arms! Embedding the arms of John the Fearless within the Cleves-La Marck arms, which made painting the figure a bit of a task, especially on the sleeves!

The figure is based on a Perry metal Salisbury figure, with a plume added to the helmet to make him a tad more Burgundian!

And here's a shot of the back with hopefully a clearer look at the heraldry!

Let me know how he's turned out, or if I've got anything wildly inaccurate with my reading up on the lords of Ravenstein!

Offline MGH

• Scientist
« Reply #124 on: December 30, 2020, 04:09:19 AM »
Are you kidding me? Wow, what detail !  I could never paint like that, kudos to you!

Online Charlie_

• Mastermind
« Reply #125 on: December 30, 2020, 07:27:31 AM »
A simple and effective conversion!
You're a braver man than me to attempt the Ravenstein coat of arms freehand... And you've managed to pull it off well, bravo. There's a reason I keep all my commanders in 'white armour'!

Interestingly just this week I was writing about Philip of Cleves and how he finally surrendered in 1492. I hadn't actually looked too far into what happened to him after that, I was just aware he went to France.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #126 on: December 30, 2020, 07:40:25 AM »
Excellent brushwork Happychappy, especially on that coat of arms!  :o

It causes me a degree of stress at the very though of having to paint it  lol

As usual, excellent work and stellar research  8)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #127 on: December 30, 2020, 09:30:28 AM »
Lovely. Splendid job on that teeny tiny freehand heraldry  :-*
I think that mounted Salisbury is my favourite metal figure from the Perry WOTR range.

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #128 on: December 30, 2020, 09:44:23 AM »
Amazing work on the heraldry  :-*

Offline Matakakea

• Scientist
« Reply #129 on: December 30, 2020, 02:13:40 PM »
When your optician asks what you've been doing to strain your sight so badly just show him this figure  :D Nice work.
I'm not a mercenary. Killing's more of a hobby for me.

Offline nonsuch

• Bookworm
« Reply #130 on: December 30, 2020, 02:33:54 PM »
Super job on the Heraldry!

Offline Warboss Nick

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #131 on: December 30, 2020, 08:03:20 PM »
Wow, astonishing work on the livery!  :-*  I always find the perspective of painting it truely daunting, and you really nailed it down to the T.

Offline HappyChappy439

• Mastermind
« Reply #132 on: December 31, 2020, 06:36:37 PM »
Thanks for the kind words everyone!

When your optician asks what you've been doing to strain your sight so badly just show him this figure  :D Nice work.

lol I think once I started on the small Burgundy arms in the middle I was like "Oh...I've made a huge mistake haven't I!"

I think that mounted Salisbury is my favourite metal figure from the Perry WOTR range.

Agreed, for me it's either mounted Salisbury or Henry VI oddly enough, just because of conversion potential for other nobles there!

A simple and effective conversion!
Interestingly just this week I was writing about Philip of Cleves and how he finally surrendered in 1492. I hadn't actually looked too far into what happened to him after that, I was just aware he went to France.

The French Wikipedia links a (French) article which says that after 1492, Philip did a few military expeditions on behalf of Louis XII including getting in command of a fleet to Lesbos (which ended in disaster), and later appointed him as governor of Genoa for a couple of years before retiring

https://www.persee.fr/doc/rebyz_1146-9447_1902_num_5_6_3438_t1_0412_0000_3

He's got an interesting and pretty varied career, just uh....not the most successful of people!

Offline HappyChappy439

• Mastermind
Hi again!

It's been a bit of a while but I've finally gotten round to painting up some more Burgundians on the workbench!

About a full year after I posted the first test figures, I've finally gotten round to finishing the rest of Charles the (not yet) Bold's archers-de-corps for his force at Montlhéry! They're now a full unit of 24, though in between them and Antoine's retinue I found myself running out of livery jacketed torsos a couple of times!

And here's Charles' retinue combined with his half-brother Antoine's, to show the different liveries

During Montlhéry Charles commanded the centre and Antoine commanded the reserve, so that would leave just the Comte de Saint-Pol in command of the vanguard, though the way his retinue's liveries are described are a little odd, so I might have to think of a way round that!

I hope Charles' unit has turned out ok! And hopefully I'll return to a little more regular of an update schedule!

Online Charlie_

• Mastermind
Very smart!