Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 02:16:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689681
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 15mm Diablo Project update: Updated hero 8/17  (Read 25421 times)

Offline zrunelord

• Mastermind
    • Picts from the Front
Re: 15mm Diablo Project update: new vermin demons and scatter 3/14
« Reply #150 on: March 15, 2022, 06:26:52 PM »
Nice work Cook,
Just found this thread .
The idea of the rooms is quite interesting & can also be used for a scifi theme.

Thanks for sharing.
Z
http://castrarunis.blogspot.com/

Imagine & you can.
Most see shapes you must see possibilities.
Z

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
    • 3d designs can be found at Thingiverse
« Reply #151 on: March 15, 2022, 06:48:31 PM »
Nice work Cook,
Just found this thread .
The idea of the rooms is quite interesting & can also be used for a scifi theme.

Thanks for sharing.
Z

Originally I had planned on using the cave tiles as mine tiles for my sci-fi gaming. The rooms would certainly work for that as well, though the worn flag stones add an odd element for sci-fi.

Offline zrunelord

• Mastermind
    • Picts from the Front
« Reply #152 on: March 16, 2022, 06:48:16 AM »
Hello again Cook,
I would think, You would find low tech towns in scifi also.
e.g. a low tech sewer system could easily be used in a Fantasy, Weird WW2, Scifi etc setting.

If I were to do it I would just print scifi floors , stick to card & insert them into the rooms.
This would hit 2 birds with one stone.

Z

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
« Reply #153 on: March 16, 2022, 01:43:49 PM »
If I were to do it I would just print scifi floors , stick to card & insert them into the rooms.
This would hit 2 birds with one stone.

Z

That has real potential. I'll have to give that a thought if I ever get to the point that I A) Ever play a game; and B) play a game in a mine system. Despite my intentions, I'd say it is likely that I'll barely accomplish item A, and item B approaches zero (at least in 2022).

Offline zrunelord

• Mastermind
    • Picts from the Front
« Reply #154 on: March 16, 2022, 06:07:36 PM »
I think a lifetime of Sundays will not be a enough for me to play the plans I have. :D :D :D
Still, better to dream & not do then not dream at all.. ;)

Z

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
« Reply #155 on: March 21, 2022, 04:05:02 PM »
I finished up my heroes for my game. I'm inching ever closer to the point of actually playing (I hear that is fun, but have precious little experience lately).

All have been put to paper using the Night Watch rule set.

Draconio Rust, Blade (tank) with heavy armor, shield, and one-handed weapon.

Starla, Blade with medium armor and more of a finesse melee role with her one-handed weapon.
http://leadadventureforum.com/gallery/54/15049-210322154721.jpeg

Enwyn, Tracker, with medium armor (green stuff to get her out of her battle bikini), and thrown weapon.

Brother Glaur, Mancer with medium armor, and one-handed weapon & shield.

I did not take an alchemist as I wasn't totally sure I could see the reason for it once I was looking at the character build. It didn't seem to get me anything that having a mancer wouldn't provide, and so I left it out for now. I wanted a fairly mainstream group that I could easily use for a straightforward set of tactics. And the party before setting off into the world of Night Watch:

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
Re: 15mm Diablo Project update: The heroes, 3/21
« Reply #156 on: April 22, 2022, 08:37:09 PM »
Back from vacation and working on more scatter/terrain bits for this project.

Here is the full column surrounded by skulls piece. I suppose this is meant to just hide some of the transition seams between tiles.

Closed doors will look like this:

I only have one door for now. I will get more printed up later. Right now my printer is on hiatus as we are getting our home worked on and the contractor is making a lot of dust. Once all of that settles down, I'll fire up the printer again. Fortunately, I have plenty to paint in the meantime.

Another unconscious villager to investigate:

And finally, a way to mark a transition up a level, or to mark where the entrance to the current level is located. I'll have a separate "down" transition to mark the way down.
http://leadadventureforum.com/gallery/54/15049-210322154905.jpeg

Offline Reed

• Mad Scientist
  • Once bought, must be painted.
Re: 15mm Diablo Project update: more terrain 4/22
« Reply #157 on: April 24, 2022, 12:55:07 PM »
Oh, I hadn't seen those adventurers! Draconio is definitely the one I like the most. Is it from Thingiverse as well?

Offline LoxIslay

• Scientist
« Reply #158 on: April 24, 2022, 08:56:03 PM »
Very interesting Project. The gaming part is always the hard part  :D

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
« Reply #159 on: April 25, 2022, 02:39:11 PM »
Oh, I hadn't seen those adventurers! Draconio is definitely the one I like the most. Is it from Thingiverse as well?

He is. You can find it here: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3217798

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
« Reply #160 on: August 03, 2022, 06:51:55 PM »
Sorry for the long gaps in posts. I've had some construction going on around my home and all of my bits and bobs were tucked away in inconvenient places. I've got a lot of catching up to do! So, to start, some objective items, or just set dressing.

The Unholy Tome: When fighting demons, you may need to use their mojo against them. Or, if you aren't feeling that brave, you can just hack it apart with an ax.

The Hero's tomb: It's a long shot as to whether there are still legendary magic artifacts in that tomb, but you didn't just murder your way through a cave just to have a moral hangup over whether it is right to defile a tomb, are you? Dust, or diamonds, there is only one way to find out what lies within!

If there is anything that history has taught us, it is that books are dangerous and should be feared. The Abolished Tome of Histrionic Epithets is one such book. Nobody knows how dangerous such words are. Could it contain words of such vile and deviant structure that they may indeed act like sticks and stones to break our bones? One shudders to think what could happen if such words should fall into the hands of an evil man or your average teen  :o

Many more additions to come!

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
Re: 15mm Diablo Project update: New objective markers 8/3
« Reply #161 on: August 04, 2022, 07:46:33 PM »
Boxes and barrels have long been a favorite lootable object for dungeon delvers. Who carries all these boxes filled with coins, health potions, and weapons into the dungeon? Is there a complex inventory control system that identifies the best location for items? Is some bean-counting demon losing its mind whenever a hero smashes a box and takes the coins? "The spreadsheet says Room B, corner 3 should have 42 gold coins in one standard wooden box. It should be here! Boy, the boss is really going to have my behind if I can't locate those coins! At least the barrel storing two mana potions in corner 4 is still... WHAT!? Where is the barrel!?"

Perhaps the bones are from previous unlucky clerks who lost a barrel or two. A gentle reminder that protecting these fragile storage units is a matter of life and death. No pressure.

Ah, and here we see someone carelessly storing a few potions outside the barrel. Sure, it may save the barrel from being smashed, but probably not. Adventurers aren't likely to pass up a good smashing just because they found some easy loot on the floor. Maybe what we need are some traps!

Finally, we have a couple of teleportation markers. These may be used by demons to enter the dungeon, and our heroes may need to seal them to stem the tide. Or, perhaps they are used by the heroes themselves to pop back into town for a quick bite and trip to the blacksmith to hone some blades. Don't ask why the demons and monsters don't simply follow the heroes into town or why all the baddies simply go about their business as if the heroes won't be returning in a few minutes to continue their murderous rampage.
Demon 1 : "Kill the humans! Drink their blood and fashion scarves out of their entrails! They are almost dead! Avenge our fallen brethren! Make their countless deaths meaningful by slaying these intolerably moral paragons of do-gooding!"
Demon 2: "snarl"
*a shimmering portal appears and the battered heroes step through*
Demon 2: "snarl?"
Demon 1: "Right, well, that was a bit anti-climactic. So... should we start tidying up or maybe have a spot of tea first?"
Demon 2: "snarl"
Demon 1: "Yes, we can have those little sandwiches you like. I'm sure we have some cream cheese around here somewh-..."
*a polished sword protrudes from the Demon's chest as heroes begin to pour back through the portal, looking refreshed and with glowing new weapons that still have the price tags on them*

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
Re: 15mm Diablo Project update: barrels and boxes and portals, oh my 8/4
« Reply #162 on: August 05, 2022, 06:24:44 AM »
Wow, those are really cool!

Excellent work, friend!

Offline Sunjester

• Mastermind
« Reply #163 on: August 05, 2022, 06:41:29 AM »
Excellent work on those objective/loot features.

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
« Reply #164 on: August 05, 2022, 04:18:50 PM »
Thank you both!

I think I've shown these pieces before in their "proof of concept" phase, but now I've got a full set of doors and transitions between tiles.

I still have a little bit of work to wrap these up, but they are very close to the finish line.

And the doors in place:

Functionally, in Diablo, baddies seem incapable of opening doors, and sometimes you aren't fully aware of what you have walked into until you open them. I need to think up a mechanism to reflect this on the tabletop. It could be a simple dice roll to determine numbers, or maybe it is a roll on a table so that a range of enemy types could pop up when doors are opened.

I didn't feel like I needed quite as many transitions as they are more set dressing and less functional.

It is possible that they shrink the doorway just enough so that heroes can't charge from room to room three abreast. Minor choke points, but not quite as bad as being in a tunnel.

Speaking of which, I need to make a couple of long tunnel sections so that not every room has to be crammed together. I have smaller cave tiles that match up with this set, but even those have a fair amount of space to maneuver in.