Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 10:16:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686637
  • Total Topics: 118117
  • Online Today: 777
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Black Summer- Netflix does zombies  (Read 5431 times)

Offline Melnibonean

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Boiled Beans
Re: Black Summer- Netflix does zombies
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2019, 10:10:08 AM »
Being prepared is a two edged sword, if you have read "Lucifer's Hammer" you know that being prepared can paint a target on your house.

Funny you should mention Lucifer's Hammer. I bought it for my Kindle about 5 minutes ago and I'll start reading in a couple of hours.  lol
Below is a link to my blog. It's the place where I write uninteresting things about little toy soldiers. I do this because I refuse to grow up and behave like an adult.

http://this28mmlife.blogspot.com.au/

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2019, 11:11:52 AM »
Funny you should mention Lucifer's Hammer. I bought it for my Kindle about 5 minutes ago and I'll start reading in a couple of hours.  lol
"Surf's Up!"

Offline forrester

• Librarian
« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2019, 08:35:48 AM »
I'm not generally a zombie fan..the Walking Dead passed me by.
I gave Black Summer a try, and that led onto to Z Nation, of which I've watched all 4 seasons on Netflix. I believe there's a Series 5, but it's cancelled after that?
Always a problem when you invest in these long running series.. characters are lost as actors move on, and someone takes a decision to cancel more often than not with an unresolved series-end cliffhanger.

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2019, 08:59:48 AM »
Its worse yet when a series is renewed, they have a plot to last 10 seasons - and talk about how the planned character's arcs, and it all sounds awesome. Then the show runners from a similar series are fired for being awful, your series hires them on. ...And those show runners proceed to kill off all of the main cast in the first few episodes of the new series and replace them with characters from that other series.

Fear the Walking Dead had so much potential.

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2019, 12:51:22 PM »
Fear the Walking Dead had so much potential.
Yes it did, and would have been better if:
They had not moved it around the USA following tax breaks.
They had stuck with moving gently along in 2010 for a while. You rarely get to see civilization fall (too expensive and very dark - imagine filming "the Battle of Yonkers" on a TV budget). TWD went the Triffids/28 Days route - most of it had happened before the POV character regained consciousness, so other members of the cast could explain it to him and by extension the viewers.

I had got to dislike the characters in FTWD by the end of series 3, and from the way the first half of series 4 went, so did the writers. I did enjoy the second half. Series 4 felt like they filmed about two or three episodes using the surviving cast from series 3 then either sacked them or they left. They then cobbled the episodes shot later with the new cast together with the bits they had filmed with the old cast.

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2019, 04:13:03 PM »
I watched the first episode of Season 3 and stopped. You know I'm not even sure if I made it all the way to the end of even that episode. Then I read the Tv Tropes page and discovered that they killed off the most interesting character in the next episode, followed by the rest of the main cast over the season - and replaced them with a whole new one.

Going into that Season I wasn't aware that they'd replaced the show runner with the same person who'd left The Walking Dead after running that series into the ground. I'd wondered why Season 2 could end on a high, with the potential for interesting characters - then 3 begins and all of a sudden the writing plummeted (where did all those super competent soldiers at the Mexican border go to? Oh, they've been replaced by these childish idiots who'd be better off in Z Nation. Oh, and now they're all dead. Woo!). Which I suppose is more to do with the politics of AMC manoeuvring employees from the main show onto other projects instead of firing them.

...Not to say that the main show was any better for their loss. For the first few minutes of the new series things seemed to have improved slightly till people started acting stupid again (then we lost Rick Grimes and I was done). Its just a pity that Fear the Walking Dead seemed to be getting better and had the potential to replace its parent series, but both wound up being little better than Si Fi originals. A HBO quality Zombie drama will come along eventually hopefully, though it does seem like a genre best suited for slocky junk.

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #36 on: June 02, 2019, 06:14:10 PM »
Having listened to the audiobook/play of World War Z, that would make a great HBO series (like Hitchhiker's, no one has made a film of it).