Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 11:51:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690713
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 1026
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Help! Making and using two foot terrain squares.  (Read 1448 times)

Offline Dashetal

• Bookworm
Help! Making and using two foot terrain squares.
« on: April 14, 2019, 09:56:45 PM »
I have 18 2 foot squares and now realize I need something to hold them close to one another when I build my game at a convention. I am trying to come up with something easy. I have 10 inch earth magnets. I don't wish to glue them on side surfaces as they will add a crack when they go together on the panels. I can't think of any easy way to sink them into the sides of the panels. Has anyone had this problem and how did you solve the "amazing rifts between the earth" doing modular geomorphic terrain? :?

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
Re: Help! Making and using two foot terrain squares.
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2019, 06:38:15 AM »
I built a frame out of 1x4. something like the one I made for this table:

Alternatively look at Chris Abbey's Sally 4th website as he has some videos about using his Terra Formers products and you might be able to pick something up.

Offline levied troop

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2019, 09:44:39 AM »
It was a one-off each time for demo games but I used black duct tape (having painted the sides black) around the whole table - up to 32’ by 8’.

For more regular games, use of scatter material over the cracks or a couple of drop-ons over the points where 4 boards meet helps to distract the eye.
The League of Gentlemen Anti Alchemists
(We Turn Gold into Lead)

Offline pacarat

• Mad Scientist
    • pacarat.blogspot.com
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2019, 01:44:57 AM »
Buy some cloth strapping material the circumference of your final table/tile size, plus six to eight inches. Sew velcro at each end, then tighten strap around outside edge of tile. You didn’t specify thickness of your tiles, if tiles are real thin it may not work...

Offline Dashetal

• Bookworm
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2019, 09:32:15 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions. I now have enough info to flounder my way to success.  8)

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2019, 08:27:00 AM »
I'm assuming drilling into the sides of the tiles is not possible?

Because if you can, drilling two holes, in the diameter of your magnets, on each side of the tiles (at the exact same locations for each side, and each tile), and then push/glue in the magnets flush with the sides of the tiles. Each side should have one with the N pole and the other with the S pole showing. And (this is crucial!) all sides and all tiles need to have them positioned exactly the same.
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Billchuck

• Scientist
    • Velociengineer.net
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2019, 03:09:48 PM »
Another option is to put Velcro (hook side only) patches spread across the bottom of your tiles. Spread a large piece of felt on the table and set the tiles on top. The Velcro will grab the felt and stay in place.

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2019, 07:07:38 PM »
I was just cruising through the Elmer's website (as one does Easter Monday morning...) and I came across Elmers Clamp Tape and I was reminded of this thread. It would work in a similar vein as billchuck's suggestion of using velcro.