Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:46:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686616
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 777
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Belgian's 3D Printing Thread - 19/08 Printed Carts and Barrels  (Read 3060 times)

Offline Belgian

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Wargame News and Terrain
Assembled my Enders 3 Printer this weekend and have done some prints but have stumbled upon some minor issues.

1) Residue from printing can't be removed from the printing bed (pla)?
2) How to clean your printing bed, to degrease. Read alcohol but which?
3) Hard to remove the finished prints from the printing bed, any tips?
4) First print layers don't adhere to the printing bed?

If you have experience with solving these issues,

I would love to hear from you!
« Last Edit: August 19, 2020, 12:07:59 PM by Belgian »
Wargame News and Terrain Blog, daily updated with the latest wargame news

Interested click https://wargameterrain.blogspot.com/

Offline matakishi

• The Teacher
  • Galactic Brain
  • Cousin of Hammers
    • Matakishi's Tea House
Re: 3D Printing Help
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2019, 06:46:47 PM »
The simple answer to all these problems is to get a glass bed plate and some spray. There's 3D Lac which I use and is brilliant but apparently, you can use certain hairsprays instead. I could never be bothered to discover which hairsprays, I'm still on my first can of 3DL anyway.

1 Getting pla off your printing bed will require scraping.
2 Not sure why your bed is greasy
3 Brute force and the palette knife
4 This can be a filament issue or a temperature issue. Having a lack of adhesion in some cases but unremovable prints in others is baffling without further information on your settings.

Offline Belgian

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2019, 07:08:33 PM »
Thanks, looks like I need the spray and a glass plate. Regarding the grease, must be of my fingers when attempting to remove the prints on the printing bed. Was wondering the glass plate does it goes immediately on the heated bed or do you keep the original printing bed in between?

Offline matakishi

• The Teacher
  • Galactic Brain
  • Cousin of Hammers
    • Matakishi's Tea House
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2019, 07:32:34 PM »
It just goes on top, use a couple of bulldog clips to hold it in place. Make sure you use Borosilicate glass to avoid disasterous explosions from the rapid temperature changes :)
When the lacquer is warm it's sticky, when it cools it's not so prints just pop off (and have a glass smooth bottom too!).
The lacquer washes off with warm water ready for the next go.
I tend to have a couple of glass plates so I can print immediately by switching the plate while the first printing cools, actually I have 4 plates  :-I

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2019, 08:00:58 PM »
Glad you took the plunge.  :)

Offline 6mmfan

• Mad Scientist
    • https://6mm.wargaming.info
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2019, 09:40:25 PM »
I print on glass and it is great for PLA. If you get it all leveled the only thing you need is some glass cleaner, you dont need any of the slurries mentioned online. When i start getting adhesion problems its because the glass needs cleaning or its a mechanical issue. Just increase your bed temp by 5-10 degrees for the glass.

Offline Fitz

• Mad Scientist
    • The Website of Fitz
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2019, 07:00:33 AM »
I use hairspray (the absolute cheapest available*) on mirror-glass, just a very fine misting, but it's very dependent on the characteristics of individual filament brands. I absolutely need some sort of adhesion help with my current favourite filament, eSun PLA or PLA+, but the no-name filament I was using before became stuck rock-solid to the bed if I used anything at all. For that stuff, all I needed was a scrupulously clean and grease-free glass bed.

* In this case, cheaper hairspray is actually better. The very cheapest hairspray is basically just lacquer and a bit of cheap scent, while expensive sprays also include all sorts of conditioners and what-not which are actually worse for our purposes.

Offline Hami

• Librarian
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2019, 05:37:21 AM »
I am current using the heat bed from Prusa, (flexible and easy to remove all my prints from. I always clean the my heat bed prior to printing, this removes all dust (a pain in the bottom as messes with adhesion to the build plate) and any grease etc from my fingers. I use Iso-Propyl Alcohol for cleaning the plate, you can pick it up off Amazon etc.

As for first layer not sticking, please check out this link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GE-lrRbU124&t=235s, I know it is Prusa however the basics of it works for most of the renters out there (I had a cheap Chinese knock off prior to going for a better quality and it works for that one). You are skipping to approx 3mins 45seconds. I also found that my printing plate although says I can print on both sides only likes one side. the other side has no adhesion what's so ever.

Check the temperature of the PLA that you are using and make sure that your slicing software matches it and has not changed it I use Cura and when I updated it it changed my PLA heat settings to lower than what it should be and it caused me a lot of issues.

Offline Grimmnar

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2019, 02:53:29 AM »
If you do Facebook join the Ender 3 groups.
Very helpful and informative.

Grimm

Offline Belgian

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2019, 06:01:11 PM »
Thanks everybody, all advice noted sadly the printer has been waiting on the side due to other commitments but already looking forward in trying some new prints soon!

Offline Belgian

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2019, 07:36:36 PM »
First 3D printed miniature! Looks like the printer is working much better with the added glass bed and helpful comments. Miniature from Thingiverse printed on Enders 3, took roughly two hours to print - material cost €0,10. Starting to like the printer once more!

Offline matakishi

• The Teacher
  • Galactic Brain
  • Cousin of Hammers
    • Matakishi's Tea House
Re: Belgian's 3D Printing Thread - 19/07 First Printed Miniature
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2019, 08:19:16 PM »
That's a nice print.

Offline 6milPhil

• Galactic Brain
    • Slug Industries
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2019, 07:48:30 PM »
Excellent stuff Tim.  8)

Offline Belgian

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2020, 02:32:43 PM »
Quick update, thanks to all your great tips I have managed to get my 3D printing going well (found some more time too)

Have been printing quite some carts and barrel scenery with great results lately

Best tips were the new glass bed and a can of trusty 3D LAC making each print easy.

Have only printed pieces without the need of support but might venture into pieces with supports later.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2020, 11:31:39 PM »
Looks good. Keep it up!