Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 11:26:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689747
  • Total Topics: 118292
  • Online Today: 821
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Babylon Berlin  (Read 6011 times)

Offline Harry von Fleischmann

• Scientist
Babylon Berlin
« on: April 20, 2019, 06:39:54 PM »
I’m posting this here as it’s SET interwar - though it’s subject does lend itself to pulp. I’m a bit more inclined to see it as a historical period.

Anyway - having watched it and previously read the books I’m quite tempted to at least paint some suitable figures (errr gangsters) as Berlin cops and what have you (sadly no polizei in jäger caps). As for gaming, it’s pretty much skirmish stuff - perhaps with a bit of “turf war” thrown in - I’d be tempted to have an attack of amnesia and leave the SA out of it.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Re: Babylon Berlin
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2019, 08:12:41 PM »
Most enjoyable series. I watched it a year or two ago when it came out on Sky in the UK.
There is one pretty unbelievable moment late on in season 1 which somewhat spoiled it for me. But it's very evocative of the period - despite the weirdness of Bryan Ferry providing some of the music.
I believe there's another season due later this year.

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2019, 08:33:43 PM »
Well, I’d say there was a moment which stretched my credulity too and I think I know the one you mean. Perhaps that’s where it lurched out of interwar, into pulp and then back again?

I believe s3 is due later this year. Yes, Brian Ferry’s appearance (and use of some Roxy Music tracks in 20s mode) seemed at first odd but then fitted rughtvin

Offline FinnN

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Librarian
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2019, 09:02:59 PM »
I think this was one of the best (couple of) series I've seen in a while - all the more galling that there doesn't seem to be any civilian German police out there! (in 28mm anyways)

Have fun
Finn

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2019, 09:16:56 PM »
I found it addictive viewing. I think it has gaming potential in a gang context - the reds, the polizei, the shadow reichswehr and the criminals are all “gangs” with varying drivers for victory points or similar. I’m not comfortable running the SA as a playable faction. Perhaps they’d exist only to be battered by the player factions?

It’s certainly had me looking at the Tsuba German Revolution stuff and the Copplestone gangsters...

Offline warrenpeace

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2019, 03:38:26 AM »
Babylon Berlin is very inspirational. I'm finishing the first book now. But the tv series was much more entertaining, mostly because it followed multiple characters and not just Gereon Rath. More perspectives made for a richer plot. Looking forward to the next season.

Not quite sure how to game it, but I'll use Pulp Alley. Prefer to start in 1919 rather than 1929 though. The whole Weimar period is facinating.
Sailors have more fun!

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2019, 08:16:05 AM »
You are spot on about the differing plot style. I was told that in Berlin a few weeks ago and that’s really why I watched it.

I think there are two routes - the pulp (find the missing film or the negatives) and a more gang style game in which the factions try to control areas - so the Reds start with control of Wedding, the Polizei of Mitte etc. Though as you say the 1919 period may work better

Offline moiterei_1984

• Mad Scientist
    • My hobby blog
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2019, 09:04:04 PM »
I would say that the Jäger from IHMN would work rather well as SchuPos:
http://www.northstarfigures.com/prod.php?prod=5258

Offline bergschotten

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2019, 09:22:36 AM »
Most enjoyable series. I watched it a year or two ago when it came out on Sky in the UK.
There is one pretty unbelievable moment late on in season 1 which somewhat spoiled it for me. But it's very evocative of the period - despite the weirdness of Bryan Ferry providing some of the music.
I believe there's another season due later this year.

Just watched the first two episodes-which I thought were really good.

Regarding the incongruity of (Bryan Ferry appearing in) the soundtrack-I thought the use of Nick Cave and PJ Harvey etal in Peaky Blinders was absolutely inspired-Bryan post classic Roxy/Eno is admittedly another matter.

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2019, 10:36:12 AM »
It is addictive, and a reason I restarted a Freikorps project.
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2019, 04:09:40 PM »
It’s certainly had me thinking along those lines or a gangster type game set in Berlin.

Offline Driscoles

• The Dude
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2019, 07:25:56 PM »
Great German TV series! I was very much surprised on how good it was when I saw it. We usually have TV shows about Docs in Bavaria or TV crime investigators in there 70ˋ s on Tv since the 80ˋs so that BB was refreshing!
, ,

• Scientist
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2019, 07:57:50 PM »
I knew about it but was sold on it on a recent visit to Berlin when I was told that the series was better than the books. Having been through Hermanstrasse Station - changing trains to go to Battlefield Berlin (and that is a fine shop btw) and walked around a fair bit, it seemed foolish not to try the series. I was hooked from the off. 

Offline warrenpeace

• Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2019, 05:15:13 AM »
My point about starting in 1919 is that the Gereon Rath series misses an entire decade of the intriguing Weimar period. I would love to see some pre-quels featuring either Gereon Rath in Cologne or the Bruno Wolters character in Berlin starting November 11, 1918. But even without that, we miniatures people could use those characters in games set well before 1929.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2019, 05:17:17 AM by warrenpeace »

• Scientist
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2019, 07:00:07 AM »
Well, yes, the Bernie Gunther series started in 1934 iirc and reached 1946 in three books. Kerr then went back using flashbacks from the 50s; only now in the last book (as Kerr died last year), are we seeing the 1920s.

It looks to me as if the immediate post war period has the Freikorps and Reds in a classic civil war while the later Babylon period gives us the pulpier, cops, robbers, Reds and thugs. The question is if anyone would play SA. I for one would not.

Oh - and I’m certainly looking at the Tsuba German revolution range.