Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:32:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686609
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 628
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Babylon Berlin  (Read 5977 times)

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
Re: Babylon Berlin
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2019, 07:09:21 AM »
I like it a lot to. I was not  aware  Bryan Ferry was involved. I though the music wass a bit to modern for the period which may be explained by that. On hte other hand Ferry has that decadent quality which fits well with Weimar Berlin.

Offline Harry von Fleischmann

• Scientist
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2019, 07:16:17 AM »
Exactly! I was looking at the soundtrack on iTunes and I noticed Bryan Ferry. Somewhat surprised to say the least but the period version of “dance away” is now on a loop in my mind. And yes, Ferry does seem to suite the period. A bit louche, a bit world weary.

Offline bergschotten

• Scientist
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2019, 08:41:21 AM »
Great German TV series! I was very much surprised on how good it was when I saw it. We usually have TV shows about Docs in Bavaria or TV crime investigators in there 70ˋ s on Tv since the 80ˋs so that BB was refreshing!

Who doesn't like Tatort or der bulle von tölz :D

Offline Driscoles

• The Dude
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2019, 08:42:39 AM »
The songs in the club and the audience dancing to Zu Asche zu Staub seems a bit too modern for the 20`s but... there is always a but....Its a knack of art or directing. It shows how progressive Berlin was at that time. Pople gathered there for fun, entertainment, art and to forget ww1 and they all mixed up in a huge melting pot because they knew  how short life can be so they lived life to the fullest.
Anyway...great show
« Last Edit: April 23, 2019, 10:14:40 AM by Driscoles »
, ,

Offline Driscoles

• The Dude
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2019, 08:44:02 AM »
Yeah...Bulle von Tölz ist a good example  :)

Offline bergschotten

• Scientist
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2019, 09:02:42 AM »
Yeah...Bulle von Tölz ist a good example  :)

Just finished (binged) the first season and it is a really mature and well executed show capturing time and place very well. Going back to an earlier post the use of a wholly modern soundtrack in Peaky Blinders was a stroke of genius,IMO, underscoring the mood and action in 20's 30's Birmingham brilliantly

• Scientist
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2019, 08:44:04 PM »
Well....I found an image of a banner for the “Reichsbanner Black Red Gold” which seemed to have been formed to protect the Republic from the left AND right. There was a display about it - which was closed - when we visited the Resistance Museum at the Bendler Block. I’m quite tempted to use Tsuba Spartacist command and civilians as the start of a small force for whatever I do in this period. I’ve managed to resize and print the flag - I just lack figures....for now

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2019, 09:15:13 PM »

There was a display about it - which was closed - when we visited the Resistance Museum at the Bendler Block.

Sounds interesting. I’m planning a trip to Berlin later this year. I’ve never been, but always been intrigued by the reputation and history of the city. Especially after watching Battlefield Berlin and reading all of the late, great Philip Kerr’s Bernie Gunther novels...
Recommendations for interesting places to visit gratefully received :)

Offline bergschotten

• Scientist
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2019, 11:22:25 PM »

[/quote]

There are so many places, depending on your interests but for me https://www.berliner-unterwelten.de/ is a great starting point.

I was interested in Flak Towers https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flak_tower and stumbled across the Berliner Unterweltern, in 2006. They have a several tours including the remains of the tower in Humboldthain park. At that time the guy who ran it was born in the Humbolthain tower which, doubled up as an air raid shelter.  Other than that cut of behind the Neue Wache, on Unter der Linden, and you can still clearly see the scars of war. 

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2019, 04:09:08 AM »
Sounds interesting. I’m planning a trip to Berlin later this year. I’ve never been, but always been intrigued by the reputation and history of the city. Especially after watching Battlefield Berlin and reading all of the late, great Philip Kerr’s Bernie Gunther novels...

Just finished Metropolis,reading the first Berlin Babylon novel at the moment,interesting that people think the series is better than the books; my feeling is, that they would  be possibly  better in German,the translation can be a bit whiffy...
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

• Scientist
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2019, 05:18:46 AM »
Do not miss the STASI museum; the DDR museum is also good. A trip up the TV tower is well worth it - and back on topic it’s on Alexanderplatz so you get to see that. The Resistance museum is worth a visit. Tbh we focused on Cold War when we went.

There is also a wall watchtower up a side street near Potsdamer Platz; for a few euro you can climb up the interior ladder onto the platform. Value for money. And yes, if you look you’ll notice bullet scars on older buildings.

Regarding translations, a German friend told me he’d read the Flashman books in English because the translation lost the tone. I heard the dubbed version of Babylon and turned it off. The books are good but I think the TV version is just immersive.

Offline bergschotten

• Scientist
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2019, 06:44:35 AM »
Do not miss the STASI museum; the DDR museum is also good. A trip up the TV tower is well worth it - and back on topic it’s on Alexanderplatz so you get to see that. The Resistance museum is worth a visit. Tbh we focused on Cold War when we went.

There is also a wall watchtower up a side street near Potsdamer Platz; for a few euro you can climb up the interior ladder onto the platform. Value for money. And yes, if you look you’ll notice bullet scars on older buildings.

Second all of that in particular the Fernsehturm (TV tower) which I only went in on my last visit and wondered why I hadn't done it before the views were amazing and the decor was kitsch plus.  There is also the Topgraphy Of Terror Museum on the site of the Gestapo HQ. 

Ps the Berlin Underworld people also have tours of the Cold war Bunkers and Speer's model for Germania which is also worth it-think Robert Harris's Fatherland.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 08:11:43 AM by Westfalia Chris »

• Scientist
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2019, 06:58:06 AM »
The TV tower does a great job of putting it all in context and as we went towards the end of our stay it was fun working out where we’d been. There was a street market at Hackescher Markt station (R or S Bahn I think) when we were there and that was great for a currywurst and pfannkuchen

We are keeping the underground stuff for next time.

Meanwhile I am wondering - any ideas on uniform for the Reichsbanner chaps? The pictures I’ve found sugggest that what with boots, kepi and so on, they look like SA. I presume a grey shirt not brown?

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2019, 05:46:18 PM »
Thanks for the tips.
I do love currywurst  :)

Offline Driscoles

• The Dude
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2019, 06:18:36 PM »