Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 03:33:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690464
  • Total Topics: 118332
  • Online Today: 732
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Battle of Tel-i-Tubbi  (Read 3119 times)

Offline FierceKitty

• Mastermind
Battle of Tel-i-Tubbi
« on: April 21, 2019, 09:57:23 AM »
Figures overwhelmingly Pendraken.

The imperial relief and the Mahdist field army meet near Tel-i-Tubbi. Note the Sultan Mehlik, carrying a company of rough, tough, jolly sailor-men, reeking of rum, tar, and parrots, and rotten with pox and scurvy. Sir Percy MacHogg, leading the relief column, is ex-RN, and the tars have been upgraded as a result (the bogey table is sometimes friendly). The Khalif had a random roll of a powerful steadying voice to help him rally routers.

I underestimated the speed of the Faithfuls' advance, and a Naval Brigade gun was taken in flank by their horse; lucky rolls saved us, as the rough tough, jolly sailor men, reeking of rum, tar, and parrots, and rotten with pox and scurvy, heroically fought off the locals. The 54th Hampshires, to the left of the battery, formed line in time, and the Hadendowah foot never got off the ridge. (picture 3)

The nutcracker situation with the 2nd Royal North Dragoons looks alarming, but the force to the rear of the Greys (they were in this campaign, but in detachments with the Camel Corps - gamer's licence) are not armed for melee. The charge was a decisive success. In the background, the 8th Cairo suffer the one serious Imperial reverse of the game, breaking after one round against the Ansar. (picture 4)

The 33rd Sussex stopped the Sudanese riflemen and gave a few discouraging shots to their camelry. To the rear, the 21st Lancers ride to the support of the embattled right. (final photo)

Not photographed, the main Mahdist attack in the centre fell foul of the 42nd Highlanders and the Naval Brigade foot (aka rough, tough, jolly sailor-men, reeking of rum, tar, and parrots, and rotten with pox and scurvy), with some useful support from the Gatlings. The Khalif himself perished bravely in the front line, and is doubtless sharing a coffee with the Archangel Gibreel even now.

I made few real blunders, but I was lucky to survive the one with the right; I could have been rolled up beyond recovery there if the outflanking force hadn't fluffed their combat rolls. Wife insists on a rematch.

« Last Edit: April 21, 2019, 10:01:46 AM by FierceKitty »
The laws of probability do not apply to my dice in wargames or to my finesses in bridge.

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
Re: Battle of Tel-i-Tubbi
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2019, 02:26:41 PM »
Just last night finished reading Michael Asher's Khartoum so excellent timing to see your display.  Took a moment to figure out that was a rocket firing in the one photo.  And love the name of the name of the battle Tel-E-Tubbi.  Inspired.  Just not to game the period even though I have the right figures which are on the sales block, more or less.  Too many other periods of higher interest and inadequate time.

Shall look forward to the naming of the rematch.  The challenge is one to come up with something as entertaining!

Offline FierceKitty

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2019, 02:36:48 PM »
:) I thought nobody had viewed my post!

We did a Brits and Abyssinians battle at Washa Djishus once, if that counts.

Offline ragbones

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2019, 02:46:54 AM »
Looks like a fun game.  I may have to borrow the name of the battle for one of my own.  I really like how you made the river:  desert yellow turning into brown shoreline then the blue water. Very nice looking!
Hail to the King, baby.

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2019, 03:03:28 AM »
My wife would be quite happy with the Washa Djishus Regulars swinging by the house on a permanent basis.   ;)

Offline FierceKitty

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2019, 04:49:44 AM »
Looks like a fun game.  I may have to borrow the name of the battle for one of my own.  I really like how you made the river:  desert yellow turning into brown shoreline then the blue water. Very nice looking!

Thanks. My mother's handiwork, that one.

Offline Traveler Man

• Mastermind
    • The Hetzenberg Chronicles
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2019, 09:22:48 PM »
Jolly good stuff! Those little Pendraken chaps look the business.
"It's amusing, it's amazing, and it's never twice the same: It's the salt of true adventure, and the glamour of the game."

Talbot Mundy, The Ivory Trail.

http://ajstable.blogspot.com
http://hetzenberg.blogspot.com

Offline FierceKitty

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2019, 12:19:19 AM »
Purrrr.

Offline FierceKitty

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2019, 08:00:00 AM »
 Refight today. Battle of Bak-ed-Bins is about to begin.

Offline Yuber Okami

• Scientist
    • Huestes de Arcana - The blog!
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2019, 08:07:34 AM »
Refight today. Battle of Bak-ed-Bins is about to begin.

I can imagine most of the readers of this post in t-shirts with your wife's face rhythmically shouting "Go crush him!"

Offline FierceKitty

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2019, 08:38:33 AM »
She's blowing a kiss to all her fans, and regrets that the conditions under which we are playing preclude photographs of her doing so.

Offline Yuber Okami

• Scientist
    • Huestes de Arcana - The blog!
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2019, 10:06:34 AM »
According to the number of times she seems to win games, I've always imagined her as something like this:

(But with longer hair)

Offline FierceKitty

• Mastermind
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2019, 11:09:31 AM »
She's a cute little Chinese. But a defeated one right now.

Offline FierceKitty

• Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2019, 12:03:11 PM »
Here she is, in non-martial mode.

Offline FierceKitty

• Mastermind
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2019, 09:54:31 AM »
'Ere's to you, Fuzzy Wuzzy.
You're an enemy to fear;
But though you're full o' ginger,