Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 04:07:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689697
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Playmobil volcano repurposed for 28mm  (Read 2954 times)

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
Playmobil volcano repurposed for 28mm
« on: April 22, 2019, 05:00:16 PM »
For several months I have been working on a Dr. Who project that would allow me to use dinosaurs, cavemen, Flintstone buildings, giant repurposed toy plants, and Daleks.  Because it’s Dr. Who the fact that dinosaurs and cavemen did not exist at the same time on Earth is not a problem because Dr. Who travels the universe and somewhere, say the planet of Obacron, cavemen and dinosaurs could exist together… that’s the beauty of Dr. Who.  More to the point of this posting, I needed terrain for this world, and while some of the plants I will be using are by companies like Armorcast, Snapdragon and Acheson Creations, most of the terrain (giant plants, rock formations, lakes, and volcanoes)  I will be using is repurposed cast-off and broken toys I found at the swap meet.  In a world of cavemen and dinosaurs I needed volcanoes, and one of the volcanoes I found was by Playmobil.  It’s a great piece.  The one I found at the swap meet cost me $2.  It was missing a few insignificant pieces, but the big problem was that it came with large openings that allowed children to play inside the volcano.  I needed to close those big holes, and that is the focus of this posting. The Stormtrooper was included just for scale ...it was handy when the pictures were taken.
IMG_2522 by Richard Garretson, on FlickrIMG_2523 by Richard Garretson, on FlickrIMG_2524 by Richard Garretson, on FlickrIMG_2525 by Richard Garretson, on Flickr

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
    • WK's Miniature Imperium
Re: Playmobil volcano repurposed for 28mm
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2019, 05:33:04 PM »
That looks great! cool idea!

Offline Grumbledook

• Scientist
    • It's a Hobby, not an Addiction!
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2019, 08:03:16 PM »
Cool! I love a repurposed toy, I’ve been waiting nearly two years for my daughter to lose interest in her Thomas the Tank engine quarry mine set....... it’ll be perfect for 15mm sci fi badlands.

Offline Oldben1

• Mastermind
    • My Terrain Projects
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2019, 03:04:13 AM »
I often looked at my son’s toys thinking the same thing.  Cool stuff!
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 03:08:51 AM by Oldben1 »

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2019, 01:58:38 AM »
Thanks to all.  Repurposed toys are wonderful things.  I'm lucky to have a great swap meet each weekend at the local community college.

Offline Commander Roj

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2019, 08:42:34 AM »
Because it’s Dr. Who the fact that dinosaurs and cavemen did not exist at the same time on Earth is not a problem because Dr. Who travels the universe and somewhere, say the planet of Obacron, cavemen and dinosaurs could exist together… that’s the beauty of Dr. Who.

Or somebody is tampering with the timeline...

Very nice work. Is the stormtrooper 28mm?

Offline Jagannath

• Mastermind
    • Blades and Blasters
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2019, 09:57:50 AM »
This looks great-  I've got a whole pile of Playmobil rocks to detail and paint at some point, they're staggered with flat surfaces, great for gameplay! I'll be using them for my cartoony frostgrave stuff.

Offline leadboy

• Librarian
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2019, 10:41:21 AM »
Ooh! Now where did I put my Playmobil volcano? I've got one for a Pirates set up that is (and has been for some time) in the back of my mind, so this is inspirational stuff/a call to action!

Offline jhonpog

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2019, 10:49:08 PM »
very cool love those repurposed toys!

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2019, 08:40:07 PM »
Thanks to all for writing.  Much appreciated. 
lead boy, that Playmobil volcano when repurposed can work with lots of settings... kind of the gift (to yourself) that keeps on giving.
Jagannath, Playmobil makes great stuff.  I've used their pyramid with my Pulp Egyptian archeological dig, this volcano will serve with my Dr. Who meets the Flintstone, Dinosaurs, and Daleks collection (plus other things I'm sure) and I have their gladiator arena waiting to become the center piece of my gladiator collection.  I am very glad that children think they outgrow their toys.
Commander Roj, my problem was that I fell in love with cavemen, the Flintstone Happy Meal buildings, giant toy plants, flesh-eating plants and dinosaurs.  The 4th Dr. Who, with his ability to move through time and space, solved my "how the hell do I use these things together" problem.
The stormtrooper is 28mm... Wizards of the Coast.

Offline Cat

• Mastermind
  • All Purpose Neko-Sensei
    • Goblinhall
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2019, 08:57:37 PM »
Ooh, nice!  And very timely. 

I've just begun to keep a weather eye out for cartoony looking terrain.  CMON's Wacky Races boardgame is due for imminent release, and I plan on converting a couple of sets of the vehicles for use with Mad Maximillian 1934 (or 1968 as the case may be).

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2019, 03:37:13 PM »
Playmobil has made some great stuff over the years that can be repurposed for more "sophisticated" miniature use.  The trick is finding them at a reasonable price, but they are fun to work on and look great when done.  I've done two versions of the one posted here.  The other one includes this Playmobil volcano but this time it is used to plug the hole in another, larger volcano playset opening.  I don't know the manufacturer of the larger volcano because it didn't have the name stamped on the bottom.  I get all of them at my local swap meet as cast-off and broken toys.  The great thing is that I never paid more than $3 for any of the pieces... most of them I got for a dollar or two.  My greatest expense in these project for me is the Milliput used to seal the gaps.  But even with that expense, I get a great, unique piece of terrain for under $25 total cost and have a lot of fun putting them together.  Hope your project(s) go well.  Richard

Offline Commander Roj

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2019, 07:54:57 PM »
Thanks to all for writing.  Much appreciated. 
lead boy, that Playmobil volcano when repurposed can work with lots of settings... kind of the gift (to yourself) that keeps on giving.
Jagannath, Playmobil makes great stuff.  I've used their pyramid with my Pulp Egyptian archeological dig, this volcano will serve with my Dr. Who meets the Flintstone, Dinosaurs, and Daleks collection (plus other things I'm sure) and I have their gladiator arena waiting to become the center piece of my gladiator collection.  I am very glad that children think they outgrow their toys.
Commander Roj, my problem was that I fell in love with cavemen, the Flintstone Happy Meal buildings, giant toy plants, flesh-eating plants and dinosaurs.  The 4th Dr. Who, with his ability to move through time and space, solved my "how the hell do I use these things together" problem.
The stormtrooper is 28mm... Wizards of the Coast.

I didn’t mean YOU were tampering with the time-line War In 15mm! I meant some intergalactic/inter dimensional/intertemporal nemesis of the Doctor of course! Unless of course, you are...?

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2019, 09:41:03 PM »
As my response to you indicates, I lack the depth to tamper with the time-line.  I've kind of reached my peak when I'm repurposing broken toys.

Offline leadfool

• Mastermind
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2019, 07:43:33 AM »
But aren't we all just repurposing broken toys. 
FOUNDER OF THE D'ISREALI ARMY

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for lunch.  Liberty is a well armed Lamb, contesting the vote.
B Franklin.    ----