Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 10:11:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691101
  • Total Topics: 118373
  • Online Today: 880
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: A Gentleman's War AWI game 4-20-19  (Read 844 times)

Offline TwoGunBob

• Scientist
    • It's a band thingy I play in
A Gentleman's War AWI game 4-20-19
« on: April 22, 2019, 07:24:17 PM »
For my birthday we tried out three games of Howard Whitehouse's A Gentleman's War using a friends extensive AWI 54mm collection. I was busy teaching the rules and trying to get them somewhat right and honestly I played the balalaika a little once they got the flow of the rules. Out of the three games we had the Patriot ambush group win two and the ambushed Loyalists scored one victory.
I don't have a proper battle report because I was nose in the rule book just enough that I couldn't keep track. I DID remember to take picture so can at least provide some eye candy.

A Gentleman's War ran easy, the game was running easily by turn two only with rule book consultation to make sure I was getting it right. Disorder troops fire always at long range... no wait they fire at one range band further so long range is extreme so muskets cannot fire... That kind of stuff. I honestly love everything about the game and the chaos that balances against the strategy. Looking forward to shaking it out with my 54mm ACW for sure. If you like games with a lot of flavor and fun I certainly suggest picking them up.

Offline vtsaogames

• Mastermind
    • Corlears Hook Fencibles
Re: A Gentleman's War AWI game 4-20-19
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2019, 08:03:21 PM »
Looks very nice.

How many turns were played and how long did it take? I know, everyone was learning as they went.
And the glorious general led the advance
With a glorious swish of his sword and his lance
And a glorious clank of his tin-plated pants. - Dr. Seuss

My blog: http://corlearshookfencibles.blogspot.com/

Offline TwoGunBob

• Scientist
    • It's a band thingy I play in
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2019, 08:40:53 PM »
I'm going to guess about eight turns, or cycles with one game taking about three hours, one taking two hours, and the last one clocked in at about an hour and forty five minutes. The shortest had a runaway activation card cycle for the patriots and they went to town on the Torries.
The game had five Loyalist units, four line infantry, and one cavalry. The Patriots were numbered four with two line units and two skirmisher sharpshooters. Kind of smaller games but we wanted to get a handle on the game before trying larger games.

Offline jambo1

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2019, 05:34:05 AM »
Great looking games, lovely figures. Looks like it was good fun. :)

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2019, 08:17:15 AM »
Nice table setup and gorgeous figures! Cheers!
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates. – Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi

Offline fusilierdan

• Librarian
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2019, 01:19:18 AM »
Great looking table! Glad to hear you liked the rules and things went well. We've found that games with 6-8 units a side run about 2-2 1/2 hours. If you have four players you can give each pair a deck of cards. This keeps things moving and not being in the part of the cycle doesn't seem to have a negative effect. I think Howard's done it with a least three players per side.