Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 12:13:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689661
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: SKULLZ!  (Read 866 times)

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
SKULLZ!
« on: April 23, 2019, 08:52:55 AM »
So I quickly whipped this up in 3d today. Printing as we speak and looking rather sweet!
Inspiration came from Myth: The Fallen Lords where the evil Myrkridia made monuments out of skulls. So I decided to fo this. I'll be adding loads more to it, skulls on spikes, piles of skulls, and a banner to go at the top of this.
I hope the image comes out okay, doing this from the phone.

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
Re: SKULLZ!
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2019, 09:02:05 AM »
That is certainly a lot of skulls!

Had you thought of looking at how the meso-americans displayed skulls?

Might give you some more inspiration (and customers) for that period if you are thinking of selling these?

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2019, 09:05:06 AM »
Thanks. Il definitely have a look and maybe give things a fantasy spin. I'll probably end up putting these on my store. I guess Khorne  players would like these, lol.

Offline PhilB

• Scientist
    • A Dragontooth Grognard
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2019, 01:26:36 PM »
This reminds me of when I visited the Killing Fields in Cambodia a few years back. It's one thing to imagine our fantasy worlds where diabolically evil cults make piles of human skulls, but quite another to realize that this sort of skull pyramid actually happened in real life not that long ago, when many of the folks on these boards were growing up, safe and sound in the US (or wherever).

So although I applaud your workmanship and skill with a 3D printer, this model affects me in ways that most posts on these boards don't. Great work, though.

Offline blacksoilbill

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2019, 01:38:56 PM »
That's a well done piece. I also appreciate PhilB's response for bringing up a different perspective, but in a very gracious manner. Other threads could learn from this!

Online Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2019, 03:24:14 PM »
Now that's one Khorny piece of terrain! :D

Nicely done :)

That's a well done piece. I also appreciate PhilB's response for bringing up a different perspective, but in a very gracious manner. Other threads could learn from this!
Seconded...
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline AWu

• Mastermind
    • War is the H-word
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2019, 04:00:38 PM »
Add few crows and you have my favorite painting of Wierieszczagin
Apotheosis of War

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2019, 08:20:33 PM »
This reminds me of when I visited the Killing Fields in Cambodia a few years back. It's one thing to imagine our fantasy worlds where diabolically evil cults make piles of human skulls, but quite another to realize that this sort of skull pyramid actually happened in real life not that long ago, when many of the folks on these boards were growing up, safe and sound in the US (or wherever).

So although I applaud your workmanship and skill with a 3D printer, this model affects me in ways that most posts on these boards don't. Great work, though.
Thanks for the kind words Phil and apologies for hitting on a sore point. It wasn't intentional to mimic real life.

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2019, 09:14:00 PM »
In the other direction, it was really an a-ha! moment for me when, after so many years, I very-belatedly realized that the reason skull iconography is everywhere in 40k, is because skulls are literally a devotional image of the emperor and not just grotesquely florid ornamentation. I really have no idea how I went ten-odd years without making that connection.

40k still has an enormous amount of silliness, inconsistency, and way-over-the-top-ness to it, but that put the Imperial universe into a different perspective than the de facto "there are skulls everywhere because the 40k world's look is an 'edgy' 11-year old's take on northern gothic art, plus space lasers" mentality (of course, it can be both ;) ).
« Last Edit: April 23, 2019, 09:16:31 PM by FramFramson »

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.