Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:02:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686488
  • Total Topics: 118102
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Warlord ECW + Frostgrave = "Weird ECW"? (weird tree)  (Read 11732 times)

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
Warlord ECW + Frostgrave = "Weird ECW"? (weird tree)
« on: April 24, 2019, 09:04:03 PM »
As my English Civil War/Thirty Years War skirmish project has wandered along I've been considering adding some fantasy elements to it. Actual gunpowder fantasy is far too rare!

At the recent Trumpeter Salute show over the water in Vancouver earlier in April I picked up the new Frostgrave Wizards plastic pack, figuring that even if they didn't work with the Warlord plastics that make up the vast majority of my ECW forces I could at least build a nifty skirmish band for Frostgrave itself.

Turns out the Frostgrave plastics and the Warlord plastics are pretty darn close to identically proportioned and they use the same flat-shoulder method of adding arms to torsos, making it super-easy to swap arms round. Heads will require a bit more surgery but are also possible.

Accordingly, here's the first three Warlord/Frostgrave mashup magic users for gunpowder fantasy!

On the left is one of the standard Warlord ECW cavalry troopers with a Frostgrave right arm and (just visible on his right hip) a pouch from the FG sprue to hold the magical globe thing he's holding aloft.

Centre is a WL firelock trooper body with arms from FG. He'd also be usable in a straight historical game as a preacher inspiring the troops, I suspect.

Right is a body off the WL infantry command sprue, arms from same, wizard's staff from FG with the hand shaved off to fit into the existing WL open hand.

Bits of putty and other cleanup still needed, of course.

The two primered figures in the far background are from Warlord's "preachers and rabble rousers" pack and also entirely usable as clerics/mages/whatever.

I'm planning six or so magic users all told, enough to set up several groups for multi-sided games of Pulp Alley, Frostgrave+house rules, or whatever system I wind up using for this oddball experiment of mine.

(Mods feel free to shunt this to "Pikes, Muskets, and Flouncy Shirts" or "Fantasy" if desired; I posted here in Workbench because I wasn't sure where exactly I wanted it...)
« Last Edit: June 05, 2020, 07:56:55 PM by Wirelizard »

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
Re: Warlord ECW + Frostgrave = "Weird ECW"?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2019, 01:52:48 AM »
Oh yeah, now you're cooking. I like where this headed. DaveB lent me his copy of Witchfinder General but I have only skipped through it; more like ECWHorror than ECWFantasy though.

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2019, 07:00:42 AM »
Those are awesome kitbashes; you're right; those two ranges go together like a dream 8)

And one name for you to consider: Solomon Kane...
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2019, 10:34:28 AM »
Excellent kitbashes

8)

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2019, 08:35:50 PM »
Oh yeah, now you're cooking. I like where this headed. DaveB lent me his copy of Witchfinder General but I have only skipped through it; more like ECWHorror than ECWFantasy though.

I'm thinking this is going to be (at least at first) horror/Cthuloid skirmish rather than straight up fantasy stuff, and I've got a WANTED post over in the Bazaar for a copy of Witchfinder General, which is out of print and out of stock everywhere.

Those are awesome kitbashes; you're right; those two ranges go together like a dream 8)

And one name for you to consider: Solomon Kane...

Definitely an inspiration. Need to track down more of the original stories.

The fact that the two ranges of plastics fit together so fantastically is a huge bonus. I have some plastic Saxons from another company (can't recall who right now) and while the sculpting is nice the heads are just a tiny bit bigger than the Warlord sculpting and the resulting kitbashes look very slightly odd.

Third kitbash was done last night. Necromancer or just a grifter out to terrify the gullible in dark and troubled times?

(terribad phone photo massively overcropped, apologies...)

FG body, head, and arms, with a WL cavalry carbine (musketoon? Can't remember the proper name.) in his off hand and poor Yorick (he knew him well) in the other.

Random wishlist item: Warlord needs to do a plastic sprue just of ECW/TWY weapons and maybe spare left and right arms. I'd love to have a batch of muskets, pistols, firelocks, swords, and so on. The cavalry sprue and infantry command sprue has some options but I'd like more!

Offline v_lazy_dragon

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2019, 08:46:00 PM »
TAG do loose (metal) ECW period weapons... :D
Xander
Army painters thread: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=56540.msg671536#new
WinterApoc thread: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=50815.0

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2019, 10:28:33 PM »
TAG do loose (metal) ECW period weapons... :D

My last order to TAG took most of five months to show up in Canada (gory details here, plus figure review of their ECW artillery, which are pretty good) so I am reluctant to reward that sort of commercial behaviour with more of my hard-earned cash.

Still, you are correct, they do have an admirably complete range of loose ECW weaponry.

I'm still going to dream of plastic spare parts sprues. Plastic makes figure conversion so much more achievable than metal ever did.

Offline Matakakea

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2019, 03:42:29 PM »
As if I don't have enough to going on with now you're giving more ideas for figures to convert up! Now I need to get a Prince Rupert figure and, as soon as Albedo do some Poodle heads and tails, start hacking that about.  ;D    Oh, and an Irish colleague is telling me that if I do Cromwell 'He should be a Weasel !!' lol
I'm not a mercenary. Killing's more of a hobby for me.

Offline agentbalzac

• Librarian
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2019, 10:38:48 AM »
Really liking this.  :-*

Been planning a 'mythic' ECW or two list myself, to use with the excellent Of Gods and Mortals.  A bit like the Napoleon in ancient Ægypt game I recently posted over on Age of the Big Battalions. 

The 'God' would be the King (for the Royalists, obviously) with Prince Rupert and perhaps Byron of one of the other generals as Legends, etc.  Similar for the Parliament.

Good luck with this project I shall watch with great interest.

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2019, 11:04:27 AM »
Looks great! Gunpowder fantasy can be really evocative. A while back I read Pierre Pevell's novels which are like Three Musketeers with dragons, dragonborn and sorcery. The first of is called The Cardinal's Blades.

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2019, 02:30:10 AM »
I'll have to look up Pierre Pevell, sounds interesting!

As well as kitbashing I've been working on some Renedra gravestones I bought years ago.

Really, years ago. December 2012, FFS. I got half of the pack done last year and am finally doing the second half. (also chickens, bought much more recently from Warbases!)

The wayside cross/shrine is from Renedra graveyard parts, as is the raven. Just the thing to be a creepy landmark out on some deserted foggy moor. I really like how this one came together.

Offline Flinty

• Librarian
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2019, 06:39:56 PM »
God's Teeth! such a bloody good idea for the next thing I didnt know I wanted to do, I instantly ordered some sprues...

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2019, 07:03:17 PM »
Very cool  8)
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2019, 11:30:12 PM »
God's Teeth! such a bloody good idea for the next thing I didnt know I wanted to do, I instantly ordered some sprues...

Glad to see this idea is infecting other people!

I'll get back to kitbashing magic users soon but in the meantime I wrote up the graveyard pieces as a blog post, including several more photos.

http://www.warbard.ca/2019/04/28/a-graveyard-much-delayed/[/color]]http://www.warbard.ca/2019/04/28/a-graveyard-much-delayed/

I'm really quite pleased with how the roadside cross came out once covered in tufts and flowers. I might still do some more detail painting on the raven and the cross itself.

Warlord priest on the right there for scale; the cross on it's overgrown little hill is about half again as tall as the 28mm figure.

Probably not much more from me this week, between other hobbies, relatives visiting, and that dreaded "Real Life" thing.

Offline manatic

• Mad Scientist
    • Dawn of the Lead
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2019, 05:17:00 AM »
This looks super interesting, good call on the conversion possibilities!