Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:43:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: ACW Rebels and Patriots 28mm  (Read 4681 times)

Offline Cybergaz

• Student
Re: ACW Rebels and Patriots 28mm
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2019, 09:06:04 AM »
Great game, thanks to Bob and Pete, jc and cavalry do not mix well, look forward to the next one

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2019, 05:47:05 PM »
Great fun was had. You do not need masses of figures to have a fun game.
What was on show was about half of what we can (already) put on the table, but that came
to four 24pt forces.  The Confederate infantry out numbered the Yanks, but were poorer
quality. The Rebel cavalry were better quality than their Union counterparts but had the
misfortune to be in range of the Northern cannon (the only one on the table).
Both sides (I'm sure) would do things differently if we replayed the scenario. That is true
of most wargames. The important things were:-
Good scenery; Good figures; nice simple rules (I am getting too old for long complex ones);
Lots of dice throws (so we can blame them & not our generalship); Good friends talking lots
of tosh & Bacon butties.
Life is good.

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2019, 09:32:43 AM »
Haha! All what you said is the essence of good wargaming!
Man doesn't need much more to be happy! Cheers!
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates. – Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi

Offline 95th Division

• Bookworm
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2019, 02:26:11 PM »
Beautiful table and minis!

Offline flatpack

• Mastermind
  • Hiding in the shed
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2019, 04:22:07 PM »
All set for next game.
Could be a 3 players against 2 according to Has.been.
Table set. Hoping to block a few “lines of sight”, so we don’t get blown away by Garry’s artillery again....

New orange trees in play.

Warbases barn completed with coffee stirrers.

Flatpack

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2019, 08:36:52 PM »
Looks fantastic. Very impressed with the barn.  The encampment has got me intrigued- what part will that play?
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt

Offline flatpack

• Mastermind
  • Hiding in the shed
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2019, 09:59:11 PM »
Not too sure yet.
Might give JC somewhere to hide from the elephants, oh wrong game.
 lol lol lol

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2019, 10:58:33 PM »
Might give JC somewhere to hide from the elephants, oh wrong game.
 lol lol lol

We know how JC loves elephants so.....maybe some circus elephants that got loose?  ;)

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2019, 08:31:52 AM »
JC & a circus elephant under canvas together?
Definitely some 'in tents' excitement.

Offline flatpack

• Mastermind
  • Hiding in the shed
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2019, 07:17:41 AM »
Here we go. Yesterday we played the second game at my place.
Situation.....Rebs have a two gun battery, on a hill, overlooking the union forces.
If the Rebs can hold out with the guns, to beyond move 5, they get honour points. If the union forces get the guns, then they get honour points.
So JC and myself played the Rebs, trying to hold out with the battery, and Garry, James, and Pete, played the union troops.

Initial deployment shows the Rebs battery lower right hand corner, supported by 3 infantry units and a skirmish to the right of it, in the woods.
Then you can see the majority of Reb infantry units on the baseline, behind a wall.

Union forces are massed, ready to go.

Union right wing. Cavalry, cavalry, and more cavalry. Gulp.

Union centre and left wing....footslogger everywhere.

View from the battery position.

Union right wing comes onto the battery. I liven up my reb foot troops, to move forward to support the guns.

Union right wing press closer and closer. Garry’s union centre, having a stroll in the park, moving forward with no reb opposition. Why is this happening ? Well mainly because the right reb wing is mucking around trying to get over the wall, so it could come and support the artillery.

Reb right wing, on walkabout.

Union cavalry start the charge to the guns.

Reb infantry to the right of the guns, valiantly fight off the cavalry, but there seems to be cavalry everywhere.

The Reb right wing FINALLY cross the wall, but instead of turning left, to race over to the guns, they advance forward, to encounter another union force, commanded by James.

Now this is James’ unions that are dragging JC out to fight. They had slowly progressed over the battlefield. That’s what happens with poor movement dice rolls.

Back to the main objective of the battle, the two artillery pieces.
You can see here, I’ve already lost one gun crew of the cannon, and I’m down to only half a crew on the second one. 
Union forces working well, with skirmishes drawing my fire.

Last stand around the guns. Both crew dead, and now we have both sides battling to save the guns.

The Rebs are losing their grip around the guns.

Finally the Rebs break, and can hold the guns no longer.

Union forces march onto the guns and capture them.

Union central section and left wing had it a little easier, as the focus was on the guns.

The Reb right wing finally made contact, but unfortunately it was too little, too late.

So, thus endith another great game, with loads of figures, loads of movement, dice throwing and laughs.
Thanks all for playing.
Let’s do it again some time.
Flatpack.

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2019, 08:10:23 AM »
Yes much fun was had, especially by me (Union right wing). As the rules are so
smooth & flowing I got a chance to fight (Plumpire = Player & Umpire). As I had a
lot of Cavalry (courtesy of Bob & JC) I thought, 'What the heck, lets charge in'
I fully expected to get blown away by Flatpack's firepower (As I was moving I thought he
would be able to stand his ground & shoot me to ribbons) As it turned out I was very lucky.
Was it Napoleon who said, 'Don't give me a good general, give me a lucky one.'.
If I was mad enough to try that again I would make the cavalry 'aggressive' (costs just
one point & means, not only do they fight better, but IF they win a melee, they can follow up)
I had several nervous moments when my cavalry retired from melee & were just 6" away
from a LOT of angry Rebs. If Flatpack had been just little luckier with his 'firing' activation throws
it would not have been a happy day for the Union.

However, much fun was had, many bacon & sausage butties along with hash browns & mugs
of tea were consumed (thanks JC for them) and many thanks to Bob & Mandy (Flatpack & Mrs
Flatpack) for looking after us. Another great day.
Congrats to:-
James (Vodkafan) for being the first in the group to get to the rank of Captain (still alive);
John (JC) for getting all those nice cavalry finished, shame all the Confederate mounted troops
              only arrived after the guns were lost. (also getting 3 sets of double ones in the same
              activation turn;
Bob (Flatpack) for finishing the barn so nicely, all the troops you provided & (as always) being
              such a genial host.
Garry (Dicemaster) for showing us all how to be in the middle of a crowded battlefield yet
               manage  to avoid ANY possibility  of fighting (other than at long range) & losing
               just ONE figure (when JC got a double six on an activation, followed by a three,
               which meant Garry took some fire from an unseen enemy unit/force/sniper?).
If you haven't tried the rules with your mates, once again, I recommend you do. 

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2019, 01:55:46 PM »
Here are some pics from the other end of the table (the Union left flank/Confederate right flank).
Covered by a cannon on the hill, 3 infantry units advanced steadily in mutual support. However my fourth rearmost unit  with my officer in it refused to advance for 3 turns so the units started to go out of his command range !

At the end of turn 3 they were all strung out.

Luckily the Reb units  facing them seemed to be intent on reinforcing the battle at the other end of the table and most were moving in that direction....
...because Garry's troops were advancing steadily up the the centre of the table while the other Union battery slowly wins the artillery duel with the Reb guns on the hill..

One of the Reb guns falls silent with the crew dead around it and the Union Cavalry take advantage; here the breakthrough starts to happen...

Turn 4 my officer unit finally catches up which stiffens up the activation rolls for everybody and the Zouaves get into the orchard ..

Some Reb units are there to face them

We take some musket balls but before a proper scrap can start The battle is won in the middle . The Reb batteries are overrun and supporting units routed or destroyed. Confederate reinforcements couldn't make it in time to stop the tide of dark blue rolling over them. A bad day for Johnny Reb!

A good day for Lt Joshua Appletree though who managed to survive the battle and get promoted to Captain without doing anything much!

Offline flatpack

• Mastermind
  • Hiding in the shed
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2019, 07:16:06 PM »
Promoted whilst resting.....I like it.

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2019, 08:55:59 PM »
Nice to see the table from your end. I did take a few pictures at my end, but haven't
got round to loading them onto the computer thingammy.

Offline flatpack

• Mastermind
  • Hiding in the shed
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2019, 09:49:00 PM »
You mean you haven’t developed the film in a darkroom.  lol lol lol