Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 04:41:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689762
  • Total Topics: 118294
  • Online Today: 786
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Bolt Action and Mogadishu 1993  (Read 3930 times)

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
Re: Bolt Action and Mogadishu 1993
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2019, 09:25:51 AM »
Nice conversions.

Offline Blind Templar

• Assistant
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2019, 10:03:45 AM »
Thanks again guys, this whole process of posting rapidly on the different parts has really helped me keep on track.

7. Ramshackle housing and sheds. I found some great corrugated card where the corrugations were extremely small and started building some stuff with them. The first few things I made were some basic open sheds that could be placed together to create an enclosed shed. Now I needed some ramshackle housing to go with them. This time I layered on the sheets and got to work on the weathering.

Next up and final bit, the walls.

Offline Lord Raglan

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Abergavenny
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2019, 11:28:23 AM »
Bolt Action is great for modern warfare, Warlord should do a dedicated supplement

Offline Blind Templar

• Assistant
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2019, 01:21:36 AM »
Yeah Bolt Action is a great system. I have some draft conversion rules for BA that I am constantly working on to be played with automated Insurgents. if you PM me I can work out a way of getting these conversion rules to you as I need more test games.

8. Finishing the American infantry. I completed the American Infantry with no camo detail as I need to get them on the table. Bases will be done once I have completed the Insurgents.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 01:23:36 AM by Blind Templar »

Offline Blind Templar

• Assistant
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2019, 12:14:42 PM »
9. Highlight Insurgents. Quick job getting through the Insurgents highlights to get on to basing and touch ups tomorrow

Offline ulverston

• Scientist
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2019, 11:08:46 AM »
This is a really interesting thread, everything is very well done and rather ingenious. I agree a Bolt Action supplement for the modern period would be a winner.

Offline Blind Templar

• Assistant
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2019, 01:44:19 PM »
Thanks ulverston. I'll update on a game this weekend

10. Walls. Walls walls, with my printer back to working order I now have 60 hours of printing ramshackle walls to get through. Still deciding if I should make some plain compound walls but it might complicate the busy table.

Ramshackle walls from here:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3027452

After these I will be looking to print an m47 for the insurgents and an Abrams tank to replace the proxies I will be using for now

Offline Blind Templar

• Assistant
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2019, 01:39:37 PM »
With some of the walls finished I finally had a game.

The conversion rules use a playing card system to mark areas of activity. Each different enemy unit is represented by a different card including four blank/no units cards.

Just realised I need to print a U-2 aswell!

Offline Blind Templar

• Assistant
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2019, 02:04:34 PM »
Some pictures of the game

Offline Blind Templar

• Assistant
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2019, 02:09:39 PM »
Photos part 2

Offline Lord Raglan

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Abergavenny
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2019, 03:19:12 PM »
Very cool looking game buddy, thanks for sharing!!

Gareth

Offline Blind Templar

• Assistant
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2019, 03:57:33 AM »
Thanks Gareth

11. Automated Enemy Bolt Action Rules Conversion 1.1. With my first official game under my belt, I have now started to work on solidifying the conversion rules to use on top of Bolt Action. To Play you will need the BA rules, about 20-30 Insurgent characters, an Insurgent tank, 8 Post-WW2 soldiers, 2 Post-WW2 support vehicles, and 3 colors of action dice (player 1, player 2, Insurgents)

Let me know what you think and I will update this blog with any changes

the rules:

Counter-Insurgent Action: CIA

Players face off against an automated Insurgent enemy.

The Units:

The Automated Insurgents start with the following Inexperienced classed forces:
•   4 blank units – place holders
•   3 RPG units – 4 man unit, 1 with RPG, 3 with assault rifles
•   3 LMG units – 4 man unit, 1 with LMG, 3 with assault rifles or replace one unit with a MMG or HMG mounted on a technical (soft skin)
•   2 sniper units – 2 man unit, 1 with sniper rifle
•   1 command unit – 3 man unit, 1 with pistol, 2 with assault rifles
•   1 anti-tank unit – 3 man team unit with medium ATG or replace unit with a medium ATG mounted on a technical (soft skin)
•   1 tank unit – medium tank with medium ATG and hull mounted MMG

•   3 Civilian units – 3 unarmed man unit

Each Counter-Insurgent Action (CIA) player starts with the following Veteran classed forces:
•   1 Infantry unit – 1 with AT Launcher/RPG, 1 with LMG, 2 with assault rifles
•   1 support unit – player can select what guns to place in the fire points
o   APC (heavy armored car) – 2 fire points, medical bay, open top
o   IFV (light armored car) – 2 fire points, recce, open top
o   Light Tank – 2 fire points, recce, loud
o   MBT (heavy tank) – 2 fire points, loud
o   Tactical Recon Aircraft – spotting, cannot be shot, cannot shoot
o   Attack Heli (armor 7) – spotting, ground attack, loud
o   Transport Heli (armor 8 ) – ground attack, medical bay, loud

The Game:

For every Insurgent and civilian unit use a specific playing card, shuffle these cards and place them face down around the table within 8” of another card. These cards are revealed according to the activation rules. The cards represent points of activity spotted before the battle.
Roll for the Scenario:
1.   Stronghold: CIA forces aim to take the Insurgent stronghold.
Select a building with an insurgent card closest to the center of the table, reveal the card and place the unit and action dice in the bag. If the card is blank then remove the card and reveal the next closest card in a building. This unit cannot move out of the building they occupy and can only use fire and ambush actions.
CIA forces select a short table edge to arrive from as per first wave.
Insurgents claim a VP for every figure alive in the building at the end of the game. CIA forces claim 4 VP if they hold the building by the end of the game.

2.   Clear Out: CIA forces aim to remove all Insurgent elements from the table.
CIA forces start with their selected support unit option (except Spotting Aircraft) on the table within 12” of any table edge, this unit cannot move for the entire game. CIA Infantry units will arrive from as per first wave from the support unit, any unit that cannot deploy in this manner can arrive as per first wave from any selected table edge.
Insurgents claim a VP for every Insurgent units or cards remaining on the table at the end of the game. CIA forces claim 4 VP if all insurgent units and cards are completely removed at the end of the game.

3.   Rescue: CIA forces aim to rescue a stranded CIA unit.
The First Player must start with their CIA units in the center of the table (except Spotting Aircraft), this support unit cannot move during the game. The second Player will deploy as per first wave from a selected short table edge.
Insurgents claim VP for every CIA infantry casualty. CIA forces claims a VP for every infantry figure from the First Player that makes it off the same table edge where the Second Player deployed.

4.   Hold Out: CIA forces aim to hold important building until extraction.
Select a building closest to the center of the table and replace the Insurgent card on the table if it is on this building, CIA infantry forces start in selected building as a large combined unit (8 man) while support units must arrive off the table on any edge as per first wave rules. One facedown insurgent card is revealed at the start of each turn starting with the closest card.
Insurgents claim a VP for every CIA infantry figures removed as a casualty. CIA forces claim 4 VP if no insurgent units or cards remain on the table at the end of the game.

5.   Man Hunt: CIA forces aim to remove the Insurgent warlord. 
CIA forces will arrive from off the table from a selected short table edge.
Insurgents claim 4 VP if the Insurgent commander is still alive or not placed at the end of the game. CIA forces claim 4 VP if Insurgent Command unit is completely removed at the end of the game.

6.   Secure The Area: CIA forces aim to clear out all buildings of Insurgents (in progress)

Activation:

Each CIA figure has 1 activation dice. The CIA infantry units can choose to separate into fire teams and form back as a complete squad. Even though each figure acts independently the Insurgents must target the squad or fire team. A pin is added to the squad or fire team accordingly and each figure must test on the pin until all pins are removed, each successful moral check removes a pin as per normal.

When a CIA figure is damaged by a small arm fire this figure must be laid on its side and counts as downed. A downed figure cannot activate as normal, always counts as DOWN and must roll to stay alive during their action, roll a D6 and if a 1 is rolled then the figure is removed as a casualty on any other result the figure is still downed. Other CIA Infantry figures can help move a downed figure if they are in base contact. On the activation of the helping figure move the downed and helping figures 6” only. If a CIA figure is damaged by a weapon other than a small arm or assaulted while downed, then they are removed as a casualty automatically.

When any CIA figure comes in to line of sight of a card in the open or 12” of an opening of a building with a card in it, this card is revealed and the Insurgent unit is placed on the table where the card foot print was and an Insurgent activation dice is added to the bag. If the unit cannot be placed in the location, then it must be placed as close as possible to the cards footprint within 3”. if a CIA unit starts the game on the table within the above line of sight rules then these cards are revealed, and any Insurgent action dice are added to the bag before the game starts.

Insurgent units must activate according to the below automation rules:
1.   Most threatening Insurgent unit must activate first, then closest Insurgent unit and so on. This is a judgment call so always activate the Insurgent unit with the highest probability of doing damage.
2.   If Insurgent unit is in a building or have sniper special rules and can draw line of sight and range to a CIA unit they will fire, a vehicle unit will attempt to fire in point blank range.
3.   Otherwise, If Insurgent Infantry unit is within 12” from a CIA unit they can draw line of sight to then they will assault the closest CIA unit, Insurgent armored units with 12” and can draw line of sight to CIA unit it will advance and fire.
4.   Otherwise, If Insurgent unit is over 12” from a CIA unit they can draw line of sight to CIA unit then they will advance action toward the CIA unit while remaining in cover if possible, shooting at the closest CIA unit. 
5.   Otherwise, If the Insurgent unit cannot draw line of sight to a CIA figure or if they are out of weapon range, then they will run towards the closest CIA unit while remaining in cover until they can draw line of sight and range.
6.   Insurgent units will always ignore civilian units while moving and drawing line of sight, insurgent units do not reduce their to hit roll when shooting through civilian units.

At the end of each turn each revealed civilian unit more then 3” from an Insurgent unit will move in a randomized direction D6 inches. Otherwise a civilian unit within 3” of an Insurgent unit will move as part of the insurgent unit. civilian units count as soft cover for CIA units shooting. Each civilian casualty counts as 1 VP for Insurgent forces. If any CIA line of fire comes within 3” of a Civilian unit roll a D6:
1.   Unit was hit and causes a casualty and this unit now acts an insurgent unit, add an action dice to the pool and arm remaining figures with assault rifles. Any further casualties on this unit do not count as a VP for the insurgent forces
2.   Unit was hit and causes a casualty and this unit now moves D6 inches away from the closest CIA unit
3.   Unit was hit and causes a casualty and no further action
4.   Unit was not hit and this unit now acts an insurgent unit, add an action dice to the pool and arm remaining figures with assault rifles. Any further casualties on this unit do not count as a VP for the Insurgent forces
5.   Unit was not hit and this unit now moves D6 inches away from the closest CIA unit
6.   Unit was not hit and no further action

Special Rules:

Medical Bay: Downed CIA figures that make it in base contact with a support unit containing a medical bay can attempt to heal instead of rolling to become a casualty, roll a D6 and on 4+ the figure is healed and can act as normal next turn, otherwise they stay downed.
Spotting: Support units with spotting when activated select a face down insurgent card on the table, before any actions are taken reveal that card and place the spotting unit next to the footprint of that card.
Loud: When this unit activates, any insurgent units on the table or placed on the table this turn will attempt to shoot this unit without needing to activate but must roll a 6 to hit regardless of modifiers.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 04:50:17 AM by Blind Templar »

Offline Blind Templar

• Assistant
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2019, 02:37:56 AM »
Tiny U-2 printed and M47 Patton on the print bed so should have an update this weekend.

Rules progression - with changing the civilian units to cards I'm almost comfortable with how the last scenario should be structured but still looking for a way to trigger IED's and other traps.

Offline Blind Templar

• Assistant
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2019, 09:32:25 PM »
M47 for the Somalians printed and cleaning in progress

M47 from the link below and enlarged to 1/50 from 1/100, hence the guns looking chunky. But wow is it a big tank

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3184746

Offline Lord Raglan

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Abergavenny
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2019, 10:04:52 PM »
Nicely done my friend