Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 07:15:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690315
  • Total Topics: 118325
  • Online Today: 571
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Predator: The Vietnam War  (Read 3121 times)

Offline Cacique Caribe

• Mastermind
  • Gelatinous Legal Alien
Predator: The Vietnam War
« on: May 03, 2019, 08:53:14 AM »
Gents

Remember Predator (1987)?

Well, wouldn’t it be interesting - and extremely creepy -  if something like that had indeed already taken place somewhere on Earth?

Well, according to this weird story, it might have happened during the Vietnam War:

QUESTIONS:
1) Could any of the scenarios in that video become the spark for playable games?  If so, which specific scenario(s)?
2) Which Vietnam War figures and rules would you use for those same scenarios?
« Last Edit: May 03, 2019, 09:13:27 AM by Cacique Caribe »

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline Ballardian

• Mastermind
  • Too old to stop now
Re: Predator: The Vietnam War
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2019, 04:56:43 PM »

Nice idea, I'd imagine there are a good number of usable periods for jungle based scenarios, and having just acquired some of the excellent Prodos minis I feel Borneo and assorted Pacific islands during WWII are calling to me...

Online carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2019, 05:21:35 PM »
I would have thought the one in your White House and that Roy Moore fellow would be quite enough to be getting along with, no need to make up any more predators.

Whilst I understand, the intent is to amuse, rather than enlighten that video makes some strange distortions of actual events which some might argue is rather disrespectful to the memories of those actually killed in these events

http://www.swiftboats.net/stories/pcf19.htm

As for HMAS Hobart, that was definitely a ‘friendly fire’ incident. They recovered large chunks of the missile from the funnel and elsewhere. Definitely the USAF, unless you wish to advance the theory that alien space craft were armed with Sparrow radar guided missiles.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Inkpaduta

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2019, 06:56:54 PM »
There would be a set of rules that would be perfect for what you want to do called Tour of Darkness.
It is set of weird Vietnam rules using the savage worlds system from Pinnacle.

Offline FreakyFenton

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2019, 11:06:10 PM »
I would have thought the one in your White House and that Roy Moore fellow would be quite enough to be getting along with, no need to make up any more predators.

Whilst I understand, the intent is to amuse, rather than enlighten that video makes some strange distortions of actual events which some might argue is rather disrespectful to the memories of those actually killed in these events

http://www.swiftboats.net/stories/pcf19.htm

As for HMAS Hobart, that was definitely a ‘friendly fire’ incident. They recovered large chunks of the missile from the funnel and elsewhere. Definitely the USAF, unless you wish to advance the theory that alien space craft were armed with Sparrow radar guided missiles.

Glad someone backs up the named incidents with sources. The lack of citations ruins these videos, really. Though I got Empress figures and the Prodos Predators, and am building on terrain for such a scenario. Rules wise I might have to get creative though, or use Tomorrow's War rules.
"No human being would stack books like -that-!" -Dr. Peter Venkman

Offline Cacique Caribe

• Mastermind
  • Gelatinous Legal Alien
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2019, 11:28:00 PM »
... I got Empress figures and the Prodos Predators, and am building on terrain for such a scenario. Rules wise I might have to get creative though, or use Tomorrow's War rules.

I can’t wait to see how you put all those elements together, at each stage of development.  Please take photos and keep us updated.

Dan

Online Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2019, 09:56:27 AM »
...wouldn’t it be interesting - and extremely creepy -  if something like that had indeed already taken place somewhere on Earth?

According to Predator II, it has, and probably many times.

The Danny Glover character is awarded a trophy by the predator Hunt Leader at the end of the movie for defeating one of the party's hunters; a conquistador's black powder pistol.

Obviously, Cortez' men (or any other Spanish or Portugese leader's) had at least one encounter with a Predator (and obviously lost).

Even in the original Predator movie, it is alluded at that during especially warm years, ghostly hunters may kill soldiers out in the jungle, as whispered by the locals.

So any hot environment with conflicts flaring up are a potential hunting ground for one or more Predators... :)
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline FreakyFenton

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2019, 07:44:15 PM »

The Danny Glover character is awarded a trophy by the predator Hunt Leader at the end of the movie for defeating one of the party's hunters; a conquistador's black powder pistol.

Obviously, Cortez' men (or any other Spanish or Portugese leader's) had at least one encounter with a Predator (and obviously lost).

Even in the original Predator movie, it is alluded at that during especially warm years, ghostly hunters may kill soldiers out in the jungle, as whispered by the locals.

So any hot environment with conflicts flaring up are a potential hunting ground for one or more Predators... :)

Yup, this is even expanded upon in the comics where the Predator even attacks and wipes out an Air Force base, to fight in a volcanic jungle somewhere in some american desert. Which sorta, kinda, maybe inspired me to build some special forces blokes to take them on. And now the nice Vietnam grunts from Empress. lol

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2019, 05:40:18 AM »

And then avp movie came out in snowy conditions sigh. Original was best and 2

Online Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2019, 02:40:47 PM »
And then avp movie came out in snowy conditions sigh. Original was best and 2

I agree on the first two. In fact, I may even prefer 2 slightly, but the rest so far have all been a bit of a let down.

In defense of AVP though; when they built (or had built, probably ::) ) their Rubrix Pyramid, Antarctica was still a balmy jungle (which it actually was at some point, but just not when hominids walked the Earth...).

Must have been a bit of a disappointment to learn that their comfy hunting cabin now lies under a couple of hundred meters of ice. Gotta give it to them though; they keep returning, even if the weather is below their standards. Probably as long as the lease lasts, because it would be a terrible waste otherwise, right? :D

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2019, 11:00:10 PM »
I agree on the first two. In fact, I may even prefer 2 slightly, but the rest so far have all been a bit of a let down.

In defense of AVP though; when they built (or had built, probably ::) ) their Rubrix Pyramid, Antarctica was still a balmy jungle (which it actually was at some point, but just not when hominids walked the Earth...).

Must have been a bit of a disappointment to learn that their comfy hunting cabin now lies under a couple of hundred meters of ice. Gotta give it to them though; they keep returning, even if the weather is below their standards. Probably as long as the lease lasts, because it would be a terrible waste otherwise, right? :D
lol That should be made canon.

Online Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2019, 09:49:31 AM »
last night I (re)stumbled onto this gem by Oats Studios. I've seen it before some years ago, but it's excellent and absolutely Weird War in Vietnam, so possibly up your alley?

(I completely nerdgasmed at the sight of the Russian attack craft btw...  lol )