Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 03:57:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690464
  • Total Topics: 118332
  • Online Today: 732
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Warlord Games Zombies... what happened to them?  (Read 3902 times)

Offline ulverston

• Scientist
Warlord Games Zombies... what happened to them?
« on: May 06, 2019, 01:21:23 PM »
Hi,

I was looking on the Warlord website for some of the modern plastic infantry and noticed there was nothing there for the Zombie game...? I have the game and thought that it had sold well, does anyone know what they have planned for it? The military figures would have been really useful for me a the moment-are they in stock anywhere else?
Thanks Chaps.

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
Re: Warlord Games Zombies... what happened to them?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2019, 07:00:18 PM »
I had noticed that the range was reduced recently, but as you say they only have dice and the metal figures left.

Warlord fluffed the release, the printed rules and cards were full of errors (the rules looked like they had been computer translated) . Warlord customer service was excellent and sent replacement cards, but for me the damage was done.   

The juggernaut of TWD:AOW then rolled it flat.

The figure packs were expensive compared to the original Wargames Factory.

Maybe it has gone the way of Test of Honour?

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2019, 07:14:12 PM »
Maybe it has gone the way of Test of Honour?

Test of Honour is being produced and expanded by the original developers with their new company.

No website but you can find them on Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/greyfornow/

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2019, 07:16:09 PM »
My son bought pretty much the entire range off the stan at Partizan last year. To be honest they looked relived to shift them. In fact they offer 70% discount . He came away with all the plastic sets and board game plus other bits and spent £48.
Which supports Ultra's observations. I'm off to Partizan this month .I'm more than happy to keep an eye out.Just let me know what you'd like me to look for.

Mark.

Offline ulverston

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2019, 10:04:58 PM »
Thanks Chaps, I thought it was me being dumb with the computer! I was only looking for their modern plastic infantry... thanks for the offer Tinshed but I doubt they will have them. I find it odd that this game and Test of Honour have been dropped... I did get sent Spanish cards with my game though! Oh well maybe Warlord will re release them at some point.

Offline Hupp n at em

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2019, 01:03:07 AM »
Not too surprised honestly - zombie games are a crowded market and it seemed like a pretty transparent attempt to make some quick cash on their (at the time) recent Wargames Factory acquisition.  Never heard much, good or bad, about the game itself, just negative press on forums about the decrease in size and increase in price of the previously available WF plastics.

Offline ulverston

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2019, 06:04:49 AM »
I liked a lot of the wargames factory stuff... pity the releases stopped when they where bought out though the zombies were terrible. I still bought a couple of boxes though

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2019, 08:28:49 AM »
Test of Honour is being produced and expanded by the original developers with their new company.

No website but you can find them on Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/greyfornow/
Sorry, that is what I meant. My assumption had been that the original TOH game had been developed to sell the Samurai figures acquired from Wargames Factory.

By the way, TOH is due a second version at its new home:
https://www.beastsofwar.com/news/2nd-edition-test-honour-summer-2019/

Maybe Project Z will also reappear, or at least the figures.

The original Wargames Factory zombies were rather rubbish.

The later female ones were fine as were the male ones released with Project Z.

There were two issues, the figures were quite distinctive, so were not really suitable for hordes, and (compared to the Wargames Factory Zombie Vixens) there was a major change in price per sprue.

Offline MagpieJono

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2019, 08:58:46 AM »
Shame if they've dropped the line completely. I was looking at their site the other day wanting some plastic survivors. Not many of those around.

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2019, 03:19:25 AM »
Its a pity that Wargames Factory went towards just manufacturing, so sold off their lines. As has been said, Warlord screwed up the release and so killed the range. Similar to their Terminator game as well. Whilst the poses on the figures needed some work (mostly cutting the legs so they weren't so splayed) the real gem of those sets was the weapon sprues. Many companies these days don't sell separate weapons for fear of other companies stealing their intellectual copyright - a gun's a gun, and if you spend a tonne on a 3D sculptor making one only for it to be stolen, that's not great.

If you do want OOP Warlord Games sprues in the past I've seen them being sold at their stand at shows for £1 each. They seem to get rid of a bit of stock that way, even when its OOP on their website.

Offline Wachaza

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2019, 08:25:16 AM »
I think they flogged off their entire zombie sprue stock in the sale last year at £1 each. I don't think there are any plans for a restock.

It suffered from coming out at the same time as several other zombie games as well as some shoddy production on the rule books.

Offline Dr. Zombie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2019, 08:29:35 AM »
As has already been said. The real star of the survivors are all the spare weapons and pouches. The minis are so so. They might be multi part but they are not really multi pose. There is really only one way to assemble them the looks god.

Offline jetengine

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2019, 05:59:50 PM »
Its a pity that Wargames Factory went towards just manufacturing, so sold off their lines. As has been said, Warlord screwed up the release and so killed the range. Similar to their Terminator game as well. Whilst the poses on the figures needed some work (mostly cutting the legs so they weren't so splayed) the real gem of those sets was the weapon sprues. Many companies these days don't sell separate weapons for fear of other companies stealing their intellectual copyright - a gun's a gun, and if you spend a tonne on a 3D sculptor making one only for it to be stolen, that's not great.

If you do want OOP Warlord Games sprues in the past I've seen them being sold at their stand at shows for £1 each. They seem to get rid of a bit of stock that way, even when its OOP on their website.

Terminator wasnt theirs either. That was River Horse Games, they were just distributing.

I'm annited because afaik the Modern Military guys were the only multipart plastic moderns on the market.

Offline MagpieJono

• Scientist
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2019, 09:08:41 PM »
Does anyone have a definitive on whether they've stopped making them for good or not? On the Warlord site you can elect to get emailed when back in stock but on some retailers sites it says product discontinued by manufacturer.

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2019, 01:55:43 AM »
It would be strange for them to sell off all the stock at dirt cheap prices if they intended to bring it back later. They said that they needed the warehouse space in one of the last sales, so that could be a reason. However, that Wargames Factory stuff had been on sale a few times, and was common in the cheap bins they had at their shows.

They'll still have the tooling, so there's the potential for a comeback. Just not within the next couple of years at least I suspect. Warlord's not a massive company and can't go throwing money after bad if a product line's already failed (I'd go as far to say failed twice, considering when it was owned by WGF it was discounted everywhere too). They still have that fantasy game using WGF plastics, but that seems to be about it. I've no idea whatever happened to the WGF WWII range, but Warlord likely bought it with everything else and chose not to manufacturer it so as not to dilute their own Bolt Action plastics.