Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 02:24:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Men of Bronze - First Game. First Impressions. Punic Wars Battle Report.  (Read 3522 times)

Offline Wiegraf

• Scientist
Hello everyone.

I did a write up of my experience and a battle report of playing Men of Bronze for the first time with Punic War armies. BazookaJoe and I used our armies that we normally use to play Hail Caesar with.  Bit of a twist on the Greek classical armies you're supposed to be gaming with, but the game worked really well even in the Punic War setting!

In this game the Carthaginians had the slight advantage with all their Hoplite stylized Libyan-Phonecian spearmen, but I still found the Romans did extremely well without so many Phalanx units, and especially without Pila. We didn't house rule in anything as it was our first game.

Here it is on Blogger:

https://steepledhatstudios.blogspot.com/2019/05/men-of-bronze-first-game-first.html

Was a great, exciting game. Looking forward to the next one.

If anyone notices any mistakes made, I'd love to hear about them! Let me know :) but I think we followed along fairly well with the rule sets as well as the recent FAQ released.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2019, 06:20:19 AM by Wiegraf »

Offline bluewillow

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Bluewillow- Matthew Williamson
Nice,

A great period to game with so many different troop types, but why no pillum? No rules for them?

Love your Iron Age houses how do I get some?

Cheers
Matt
« Last Edit: May 11, 2019, 08:51:54 AM by bluewillow »

Offline Wiegraf

• Scientist
Hello blue willow
The rules currently are focused more so on the classical realm of the Greeks. The author did not include Romans and so no special rules for Roman weaponry. We didn’t put in any pila or create new weapons as we wanted to see how the game rolled out first before modifying it.

As for the round house, send me a message on Facebook. If you don’t use Facebook you can also pm me here for more details.
Cheers
https://m.facebook.com/steepledhatstudios

Offline abu iskander

• Mad Scientist
Nice report and nicely done figures and table. Thanks for sharing.

Offline Irregular Wars Nic

• Mad Scientist
    • Visit the Irregular Wars blog:
Great report.

We played our first two games yesterday, report to come.

Offline bluewillow

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Bluewillow- Matthew Williamson
Hello blue willow
The rules currently are focused more so on the classical realm of the Greeks. The author did not include Romans and so no special rules for Roman weaponry. We didn’t put in any pila or create new weapons as we wanted to see how the game rolled out first before modifying it.

As for the round house, send me a message on Facebook. If you don’t use Facebook you can also pm me here for more details.
Cheers
https://m.facebook.com/steepledhatstudios

Thanks will do

Offline James Morris

• Mastermind
    • mogsymakes
A really useful report - thank you. I may pick up a copy of these at the weekend. Nice armies too.

Offline Jeff965

• Scatterbrained Genius
 Nice report, I'm looking forward to seeing people's views on using these rules for other Ancient periods 👍😀

Offline Lord Raglan

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Abergavenny
Nicely done boys

Offline ether_drake

• Bookworm
    • Blog: Ether Drake's Cave
Thanks for the write up and reflections. I received these rules recently along with Mortal Gods and I am interested to see whether they will be enjoyable.

Since I have more Carthaginians painted than Greeks at the moment your example is particularly interesting. No one in my area has any Romans painted up yet, sadly.

Do report if you develop some specific tweaks for the Punic Wars.
Blog: Ether Drake's Cave

https://etherdrakecave.blogspot.com/

Offline Ethelred the Almost Ready

• Mastermind
Thanks for the write up and reflections. I received these rules recently along with Mortal Gods and I am interested to see whether they will be enjoyable.

Since I have more Carthaginians painted than Greeks at the moment your example is particularly interesting. No one in my area has any Romans painted up yet, sadly.

That should be no problem, you have over 200 years of Greeks fighting Carthaginians in Sicily. ;)

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
  • Just some guy who does stuff
    • Blood and Spectacles
Cracking game!

I have some draft rules about Republican Roman army and Italian Peninsula armies (Magna Graecia, Etruscans, Samnites, etc), but nothing ready for prime time.  I have also been doing a lot of research on Carthage and her enemies throughout her existence.   

I sent some additional downloadable content to Osprey in the form of a QRS and army lists for Carthaginians and Sicilian Greeks, and a historical Battle of Hamilcar scenario.  Hopefully it will be up on the Osprey Games Blog or downloads page soon. 
Support Blood and Spectacles Publishing:
https://www.patreon.com/Bloodandspectaclespublishing

Offline ether_drake

• Bookworm
Cracking game!

I have some draft rules about Republican Roman army and Italian Peninsula armies (Magna Graecia, Etruscans, Samnites, etc), but nothing ready for prime time.  I have also been doing a lot of research on Carthage and her enemies throughout her existence.   

I sent some additional downloadable content to Osprey in the form of a QRS and army lists for Carthaginians and Sicilian Greeks, and a historical Battle of Hamilcar scenario.  Hopefully it will be up on the Osprey Games Blog or downloads page soon.

That's great news. Look forward to that.

Offline Wiegraf

• Scientist
Thank you everyone for the compliments on the game and minis. It was indeed fun.

"That should be no problem, you have over 200 years of Greeks fighting Carthaginians in Sicily"

There were tons of battles over Sicily involving Carthage as Ethelred the Almost Ready mentioned.  Syracuse Vs Carthage, Greeks VS Carthage. . plenty of battles.

During the Pyrrhic war , Rome and Carthage temporarily allied with one another and Pyrrhus went to Sicily and fought the Carthaginians there...No Romans fought in that campaign there as far as I can tell though, but there's many, many fights you can do without Rome involved.

Cracking game!

That's good news to hear.  I'll have to apply these scenarios and army lists for our next game, though I was already quite happy with our last games results.  would be nice for specific rules too, though, so i'll keep my eyes out for these supplements! Thank you!

Offline ether_drake

• Bookworm
That should be no problem, you have over 200 years of Greeks fighting Carthaginians in Sicily. ;)

I know, but TBH I only play Carthaginians because I want to kill Romans and turn the tide of history. Greeks kill each other just fine.  :D