Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 10:51:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686647
  • Total Topics: 118117
  • Online Today: 788
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Hell on Wheels at Legionary Exeter  (Read 1185 times)

Offline Black Burt

• Scientist
Hell on Wheels at Legionary Exeter
« on: May 13, 2019, 07:50:53 AM »
A couple of us from the Trinity Wargames Club in Taunton put on a wild west game at Legionary in Exeter last weekend. We called it "Hell on Wheels" after the TV series. The theme was that a local Indian chief had come to the camp for some reason but had been kidnapped by some of the men in the camp. The rest of his tribe obviously wasn't very pleased about this so they set out to rescue him. The chief was hidden in one of the tents but no one knew which one so a lot of searching took place with various people joining in with a party of Indians. There where 5 men from the camp and each player that joined in  also had 5 Indians, some players decided just to go for loot instead, stealing a wagon and some pack horses. The Indians finally found the chief due to weight of numbers but they paid a heavy price in casualties. We used the "Fistful of Lead" rules which are easy to use especially at a show when people join in the game.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 08:10:26 AM by Black Burt »

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
Re: Hell on Wheels at Legionary Exeter
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2019, 08:24:39 AM »
Excellent, great scenario for a game. I like your choice of rules too. :D :)
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2019, 01:49:51 PM »
A great looking table.
Excellent idea for a game.
Could be used for many periods.
Will have to try it out next time I play.
Semper Fi, Mac

Offline Ramirez Noname

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2019, 02:09:33 PM »
Great set up.

Would have liked to have gone to the show, but just couldn't get there this year.

RMZ

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2019, 02:47:42 PM »
Is that the town of Holdyernose?  I don't see a single outhouse nor even a slit trench.  I suspect it is a foul smelling town, especially on a hot day!  lol

Like the way you did the track leading to the portion with ties leading to just the roadbed - the tracks moving westward slowly but surely.  With the water tank I'd guess the railroad has plans for this area thus the wooden frame building going up.  Like all the scatter terrain though you could use some piles of ties and rails to add a bit more flavor - and cover. 

Nice locomotive.  Make and scale, please?

Offline BaronVonJ

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
  • Quality gaming, every Thursday night...
    • the Baron's Blog
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2019, 03:47:47 PM »
Great looking game. And I also support your choice of rules!

Offline Black Burt

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2019, 04:36:27 PM »
Is that the town of Holdyernose?  I don't see a single outhouse nor even a slit trench.  I suspect it is a foul smelling town, especially on a hot day!  lol

Nice locomotive.  Make and scale, please?

I should have added a couple of outhouses but forgot to bring them along, but hey there is a nice gully next to the camp that would do, the next flash flood would clear it out.  ;)

The loco is a Bachman ON30 that I picked up of Ebay it was cheaper to buy than the Dixon kit and had the added bonus that I didn't have to build it.  I thought about dirtying it up but didn't want to spoil it.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2019, 07:27:59 PM »
Love it.
Love Hell on Wheels too. For some reason I stopped watching part way through season 5... This reminds me: I must go back and finish watching it!  ;)

Offline thebinmann

• Galactic Brain
  • Can't paint but dreams...
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2019, 07:40:03 PM »
Love it.
Love Hell on Wheels too. For some reason I stopped watching part way through season 5... This reminds me: I must go back and finish watching it!  ;)

Me too

And me too, though me it was season four (for some reason I watched five before four)

And don't forget 31 May id DEADWOOD DAY