Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:00:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: 28mm USMC Vietnam etc  (Read 128445 times)

Offline Curassier

• Scientist
Re: 28mm USMC Vietnam etc
« Reply #630 on: April 18, 2021, 07:52:17 PM »
So impressive !
Could you give us a little more info on how you do those wonderful bases with the shrubbery and bits of "jungle". And what paints are you Ising for your single figure bases ? Any advice gratefully received.
JM

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #631 on: April 18, 2021, 09:52:36 PM »
Dang, are you trying to do a historical one on one scale project for SOG?  lol
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Online Ash

• Mastermind
    • Ashley Straw.com
« Reply #632 on: April 18, 2021, 10:11:09 PM »
So impressive !
Could you give us a little more info on how you do those wonderful bases with the shrubbery and bits of "jungle". And what paints are you Ising for your single figure bases ? Any advice gratefully received.
JM

The bamboo is that green plastic type you'll find on eBay from China (look up 12cm model bamboo), the other plants I also found on ebay (try a search for model jungle plants).

I just paint the plants all green (Vallejo Nato green primer), then for the bamboo paint the stalks with any mustard yellow colour ( ochre brown, japan uniform etc), drybrush the leaves with the same colour then give the whole thing a green wash and another wash of brown over the yellow stalks (vallejo Umber wash works fairly well).

The bases are just any old filler over the base to hide the metal base of the model, I then tend to dip the wet filler in some fine sand/grit, and watered down PVA to taste.
Then the bases get primed black with the rest of the mini. For these 'Nam' figures I've been mixing a bit of MIG African Earth pigment in with some Vallejo Khaki paint, then a light drybrush with dark sand.

I finished a few NVA at the same time and the bases are the same just without any 'jungle' stuff.

I usually paint the base edges with a chocolate brown, but as per usual I forgot prior to taking pics...

Dang, are you trying to do a historical one on one scale project for SOG?  lol

I just couldn't resist chopping up a second pack. Read a couple of books by a chap called John Stryker Meyer, about his time in SOG (68/69), so gave myself the excuse for some more indigenous blokes with CAR-15s.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2021, 10:13:18 PM by Ash »

Offline Curassier

• Scientist
« Reply #633 on: April 19, 2021, 10:23:11 AM »
Really helpful - e-Bay here I come !
Thanks again.
JM

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #634 on: April 19, 2021, 10:28:41 AM »
I'll have to hunt that book down.  :D

Offline Paul @ Empress Miniatures

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #635 on: April 19, 2021, 10:49:03 AM »
 :-* :-* :-* :-*

Brilliant work. I just cannot keep up  lol

Offline Sparrow

• Mastermind
« Reply #637 on: April 19, 2021, 06:01:40 PM »
Very nice!
Put your trust in God and keep your powder dry!

Online Ash

• Mastermind
    • Ashley Straw.com
« Reply #638 on: April 19, 2021, 09:30:57 PM »
Thanks Sparrow.

Also made a couple of little bunkers out of old chop sticks.

Thought this looked a bit tall ( inorder to fit standing figures), so made another to fit a prone figure.

& these

Offline Sparrow

• Mastermind
« Reply #639 on: April 20, 2021, 06:02:54 AM »
That looks great! (I really need to build some bunkers for my own Nam games so I may well pinch your idea re chopsticks  ;))

Offline Rick F

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #640 on: April 20, 2021, 06:13:18 AM »
Your collection just gets better and better, it's going to be an exceptional table when it's all done (is that possible lol)

Offline Lord Raglan

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Abergavenny
« Reply #641 on: April 20, 2021, 07:45:31 AM »
You are smashing it mate, again and again!!

Offline trev

• Mad Scientist
    • The Bits Box
« Reply #642 on: April 20, 2021, 07:56:32 AM »
Totally agree with the others,  Great stuff Ash.  This and your Bush Wars thread are very nice work.  Good photography too. 

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #643 on: April 20, 2021, 08:59:15 AM »
Oh damn, those are some great looking bunkers.

Online Ash

• Mastermind
    • Ashley Straw.com
« Reply #644 on: April 20, 2021, 10:27:00 AM »
Cheers guys, glad you like then.

They were fairly easy to do. I've had go previously trying to cut up thin MDF & hardboard (backs of old IKEA clip frames) with various cutting things like Stanley knives and a jigsaw; always ended in bloodshed and disapointment ( the jigsaw got repurpossed as a paintpot shaker, to save me from myself). So went on the hunt for properly cut large bases, and found Warbases ( same place that I got the little statue piece). They do a range called 'pond bases', which I thought would be good for scatter terrain.

https://warbases.co.uk/product/pond-bases/

I've previously used sticks for building 20mm stuff (Beech works well), but have run out and I had a load of old chop sticks (take away freebie type), sitting in a drawer, thought they might be useful for something. Cut them up , some are cut properly others snapped as I was curious to see how they'd paint up (think I prefer the cleaner cut). Stuck together with CA, then stuck to base with CA. I just slapped on some Sculptamold. Made it a bit too wet so spinkled some plaster (powder) on top to soak up the excess water, and they dried over night.
Black primer, cheapo brown'ish craft paint, watered it down a bit (you can see the black showing though in places, but I quite like that), sprinkled on some grit/fine sand. Thin wash of dark brown all over & a light dry brush of a sand colour.
Wood bits painted brown, light drybrush, then I dabbed on some green enamel and attacked it with a brush loaded with white spirit to spread it around a bit, hopefully makes then look a tad rotten.
Added some experimental DIY grass tufts (avoided electric shocks with this batch) and some of China's finest plastic plant bits. The leaf litter is mixed herbs, stuck on with PVA and given a brown wash.

Not buying anymore resin bunkers, got a bit carried away with those back in 40k days...