Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:38:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Anyone ID this 1970s "Phil Barker" range Minifigs figure? Two more added!  (Read 1608 times)

Offline Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
It’s time to move (if anyone will have them) some of my 1970s figures on so I’m eBaying a bunch. This one - like so many - hasn’t been out of the box in 40+ years and I can’t remember what it’s supposed to be. I have a vague idea it may be Spanish light cavalry but I’m not sure.

Anyone know better?

Doug
« Last Edit: May 18, 2019, 11:31:32 AM by Doug em4 »

Offline Roo

• Mad Scientist
Re: Anyone ID this 1970s "Phil Barker" range Minifigs figure?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2019, 05:39:58 PM »
Persian?  Surprised he is not joining your Golden valley gangsters  ;D

Offline Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2019, 06:14:07 PM »
Persian?  Surprised he is not joining your Golden valley gangsters  ;D

Hi Roo - if it wasn’t for "scale creep" maybe he would. As it is, with today’s figures he’d be like a hobbit on a Shetland pony...... ;) Hmmm - now you mention it.........

Doug

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2019, 06:33:07 PM »
Could well be Spanish Light or Medium from the Punic Wars range. Would make it a PBC 53 or 54 according to the catalogue.

Offline Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2019, 06:51:22 PM »
Could well be Spanish Light or Medium from the Punic Wars range. Would make it a PBC 53 or 54 according to the catalogue.

Rob - I think so to. I did go back through my various WRG Armies and Enemies books but couldn’t find him but I’m sure he’ll be there somewhere. I found him (part of a unit of 12) in a box with some Spanish Scutarii (LMI in 5th ed WRG Ancients which is what they are based for) so it seems likely. Mind you, there are some camels in the same box so maybe not :D

Doug

Offline Shahbahraz

• Mastermind
    • A Lead Odyssey
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2019, 09:40:52 PM »
That doesn't look like Ancient Spanish to me, Middle Eastern, perhaps later Assyrian, Babylonian or similar? 
Wargaming since the dark ages...

---https://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/---

Offline Captain Gars

• Assistant
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2019, 02:18:06 AM »
He is the Spanish Light Cavalryman (PB 54).

Offline Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Thanks for the help so far. It’s very useful having the original catalogue number so, with that in mind, how about these next two?

The first could be "generic light infantry" but what was he described as originally?

The second - Roman Light Cavalry but what was his code?

Once again, info appreciated.

Thanks

Doug

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
Can't help with the generic infantry dude but the cavalryman could be the Mid Roman Promoti  IRC33, it's been a long time since I had any of these in my collection. I remember the figure but not specifically what he was.

If you PM me me an email address Doug I can send you a pdf of the old Minifig Catalogue.

Offline Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Can't help with the generic infantry dude but the cavalryman could be the Mid Roman Promoti  IRC33, it's been a long time since I had any of these in my collection. I remember the figure but not specifically what he was.

If you PM me me an email address Doug I can send you a pdf of the old Minifig Catalogue.

PM sent. The LI looks a bit like PB15 Aotolian or Agrianian Javelinman but the shield is bigger on the miniature. I guess I’ll just call him "Ancient Light Infantry Javlinman".

Doug

Offline Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
I’m thinking the LI could be PB50 - Spanish Caetratus.

Doug

Offline Captain Gars

• Assistant
You are correct, the foot figure is the PB 50.

If you have an early copy of "Armies of the Macedonian and Punic Wars" by Phil Barker, the numbers etched on to the figure bases correspond to the drawings in the book. Minifigs used the drawings to sculpt the figures and assigned catalog numbers as "PB" or "PBC" plus the drawing's number.

The cavalry figure is figure number 9 on page 36 of "The Armies and Enemies of Imperial Rome" by Phil Barker (1972 version).  His title is "Auxiliary Light Cavalryman of the Early 1st Century A.D." 

In Minifigs catalogs from the 1970's, he is listed as...

PBC 109   Auxiliary Light Cavalryman of the Early 1st Century A.D.

Minifigs used the figure numbers from the "Imperial Rome" book but added 100 to list them in their catalog. So, figure number 9 is listed as PBC 109. 

In later catalogs, the figures from the "Imperial Rome" book where given the "IR" and "IRC" designations replacing the "PB" and "PBC" designations and the numbers were changed. My guess is that the figure is now listed in the catalog as "IRC 26  Auxiliary Cavalry Early/Mid 1st Century A.D." .