Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:25:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686613
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 762
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Fakes? What do you lot think?  (Read 3192 times)

Offline dcajoe

• Schoolboy
Fakes? What do you lot think?
« on: May 17, 2019, 07:11:50 PM »
Hi all,

So this guy/girl has put some of his/her vintage GW collection on eBay https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/ale_bennytin/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=

:o

What a haul - the minis look brand new. But starting price 99p? It's almost too good to be true. What do you guys think? Fakes?
« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 09:36:52 PM by dcajoe »

Offline FionaWhite

• Mad Scientist
  • The Fox Fantastic
Re: Fakes? What do you guys think?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2019, 08:29:34 PM »
I'm definitely not an expert so it's better to wait for one of our much wiser members to chime in but by coincidence I did happen to find my own
Lorenzo Lupo just now and, looking both at mine and his version, the middle part of his armour seems a bit... fuzzy whereas mine looks much more clear even with its horrible paintjob.
That might be just the camera or the age of the mini itself though.

Also, the mini seems to be missing its slotta (I believe the term is?) thingy that'd attach it to its base.

I really have no idea what I'm doing.

Offline AWu

• Mastermind
    • War is the H-word
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2019, 09:11:52 PM »
It would be kinda impractical to make single copies of gazilion miniatures..
Recasters normally post same few miniatures again and again.

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2019, 09:31:53 PM »
Nothing about it screams fake to me. The metal looks shiny, but that's often the case even with old mins, especially if they've been locked away for years. I've painted a lot of those old mins before for commissions and they look no different to the ones I was sent. Starting at 99p is often a good move, because it draws in multiple bidders and you only need two bidders to start a bidding war!

If you want to build up a McDeath collection cheap, I'd say it's a damn good time to start bidding ... but only if you're in Italy, because that postage cost is going to be a killer.

'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Condottiere

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
Re: Fakes? What do you lot think?
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2019, 11:29:31 PM »
No reason to suspect these are fake and opening £0.99 is a good move, albeit risky in case a "rare" figure doesn't go for an expected price. Wouldn't mind bidding myself for a few figures, but what's preventing me is the £16.00 shipping charge to the US for one miniature... :(

Not sure why a few of the figures are listed as unreleased, like McDeath... ???
« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 11:37:22 PM by Condottiere »

Offline Antonio J Carrasco

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2019, 08:28:12 AM »
They look legit to me.

Offline Belligerentparrot

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2019, 09:22:46 AM »
As someone who has been collecting unreleased citadel miniatures for over a decade, here is my 2 pence:

Some of those miniatures are almost certainly fake. The jester with no legs, for example. A certain Spanish recaster (Eden somethingorother) has been making dozens of copies of this over the years, and there are a bare handful of non-recast jesters in existence.

I am not saying this seller recast the jester. But it is 99% likely that he purchased a recast jester.

The unreleased mutant and the Xena are also 99.9% fakes, as recasts of these were also churned out by the same Spanish guy.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2019, 09:26:58 AM by Belligerentparrot »

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2019, 04:25:49 PM »
Most look legit to me (I too have plenty of old-yet-shiny ones myself), but a few might be recasts as Belligerentparrot mentioned.

In all likelihood it's an honest seller who probably unknowingly purchased some re-casts along the way to collecting a full Mordheim collection (which is obviously now being liquidated for whatever reason). I'd give them the benefit of the doubt here, as most of the miniatures look original, while having a very close look or simply passing on any that are exceedingly rare or hard to come by.

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline Duncan McDane

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2019, 04:28:29 PM »
I don't trust the models with a white background... The "clean" moldlines, the metal, the crispness - or lack of it in some cases -,  it just doesn't look right to me.
Leadhead

Offline Condottiere

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2019, 12:07:42 AM »
Interested in one of the McDeath (MecDeath lol) figures, I asked over on the Oldhammer forum and more than likely, the majority of the figures are recasts.

The Xena figure I acquired back in 2017, looks just like the one on the CCM Wiki:

The one in this listing, looks slightly different, though I can't say if it's due to damage or problem with the mold or if it's a recast:

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2019, 04:32:07 PM »
Up close the details do look suspiciously soft. Especially the slotta text.

Offline Duncan McDane

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2019, 05:02:22 PM »
It's 100% a fake. Look at the knife, look at the body. I wonder if it's even spin-cast... Like I said, all the models on the white underground look soft and suspicious to me...

Offline 6milPhil

• Galactic Brain
    • Slug Industries
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2019, 09:13:47 PM »
All vanished now.

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2019, 09:26:41 PM »
It's cheap dirty metal often made by melting down old figures.There's a distinctly granular look to the metal . Even being spun cheap mixed metal often fails to cast a full figure.

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2019, 03:48:55 PM »
It's cheap dirty metal often made by melting down old figures.There's a distinctly granular look to the metal . Even being spun cheap mixed metal often fails to cast a full figure.
And we know how minis fans like their full-figured characters.