Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 06:31:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Pulp era figs made for slotta bases?  (Read 1568 times)

Offline NickNascati

• Scatterbrained Genius
Pulp era figs made for slotta bases?
« on: May 21, 2019, 12:53:04 AM »
All,
      I am trying to have all of my pulp era figures mounted on clear bases.  Besides Copplestone and Pulp Alley, what other 1930 - 1950 era figures are there designed for slotta bases?  Much easier to remove the tab that to try and take off a base.
                                                                                  Nick

Offline Dangerboy

• Bookworm
Re: Pulp era figs made for slotta bases?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2019, 09:59:35 PM »
Crooked Dice uses slotta bases. Though the figures aren't yet available, their Kickstarter just added significantly to their pulp line. And while the majority of the catalog is outside of the 30s to 50s range, with a little bit of searching there are a number of figures that would fit right in.

Depending how far afield your adventures take you, TinMan Miniatures has some figures perfect for Lost World pulp, but with pegs for their sculpted bases rather than slots. I WOULD WARN YOU, however, that some TinMan minis have integral bases. You can try looking at the higher res pictures in the catalog, but even then it's not always apparent. Beautiful minis, regardless.

Best of luck on your search.

Offline Gardensnake

• Bookworm
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2019, 12:55:54 AM »
I may be wrong, but I believe the figures produced by Sally 4th are slot based as well.

William
Until such time as Congress stops being a ridiculous farce, comedy is utterly acceptable at their hearings.
Sean Patrick Fannon

Offline Chris Abbey

• Mastermind
    • Sally 4th Wargames Terrain & Figure Storage
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2019, 08:06:59 AM »
Yes, all of the Sally 4th Classic Movie Miniatures range are made with slotta bases.
They were made that way because I'm a big fan of clear bases so wanted them to be easy to snip off and remount!

http://wargamesbuildings.co.uk/Sally-4th-Miniatures
Chris Abbey
Www.sally4th.co.uk

Offline digid

• Bookworm
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2019, 09:30:22 AM »
I have had little trouble cutting figures off of regular bases. Best way I found has been to cut with the cutters used to remove plastic from their sprue’s. I cut before I paint pin one foot with brass wire and put in wine cork to paint. When I mount I cut brass leaving a small length that I can mount in drilled hole in clear base. Does not take much time and I have not had any issues with figures breaking free from base. 

Offline Charles92027

• Bookworm
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2019, 06:06:08 PM »
Normal bases aren't that hard to remove. I cut them as close to the foot as I dare, and then sand them down to a flat-foot with my Dremel and/or a file.
Then they get a pin in the foot as Nick mentioned.

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2019, 09:10:32 PM »
A trick I learned from Dave: High quality toenail clippers are actually really good for trimming metal bases around figures' feet, so you can do as Charles is describing.

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline Chris Abbey

• Mastermind
    • Sally 4th Wargames Terrain & Figure Storage
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2019, 12:28:03 PM »
I do the same thing, I've clipped hundreds of miniatures off there bases with my old faithful yellow handled GW side clippers!

Offline Inkpaduta

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2019, 10:38:50 PM »
Reaper does some good ones for Deadlands Noir. It is under the savage worlds topic I believe.

Offline whomever1

• Librarian
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2019, 07:59:15 PM »
I have had little trouble cutting figures off of regular bases. Best way I found has been to cut with the cutters used to remove plastic from their sprue’s. I cut before I paint pin one foot with brass wire and put in wine cork to paint. When I mount I cut brass leaving a small length that I can mount in drilled hole in clear base. Does not take much time and I have not had any issues with figures breaking free from base.

I assume you're pinning your minis to those washing machine-thick clear bases rather than ultra-invizo bases. I've had a few minis break off the ultra-invizos, so have gone back to wooden disks. The thick clear bases look weird to me.