Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 03:34:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690883
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 884
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Pics of new Forge of Ice greens: two stone weapon sprues  (Read 8927 times)

Offline Alxbates

• Mad Scientist
    • Forge of Ice on Faceboook!
Pics of new Forge of Ice greens: two stone weapon sprues
« on: June 20, 2009, 02:32:17 PM »
Awhile back I mentioned two upcoming stone weapon sprues, to compliment the stone spears I released earlier this year.  There are two different sprues - one with two axes and a club (or simple maul, however you prefer to describe it).  The second sprue has two stone daggers on it. 

You may think that the blade of the axe on the end is too small, but it's accurate for many of the stone-tool-using cultures that we have artifacts for (it took me awhile to become accustomed to how it looks!).  The one in the middle is intended to be more generic, to be something of a cross between what ancient stone axes looked like, and what the popular depictions of them are.  The maul, or big two-handed stone club on the end, is also fairly accurate to what native american simple stone mauls looked like, and is probably similar to what they looked like worldwide.

I ran into a similar issue with the stone daggers - the blades on most of the stone daggers we've found are tiny, often only a couple of inches long.  So, to my eyes, they look like the blades are too short - I can't help but mentally compare them to metal daggers and how I know they look.  But stone is a different medium - it shatters if it is too thin or too long, and of course re-sharpening a stone blade means flaking off more of the blade material.

Kev White (and a few other sculptors) can make huge, anime-style oversized weapons look good, but it's a rare talent.  So I asked Tyson to sculpt the daggers very small.

As an example, here's "Otzi the Iceman"'s dagger, along with his scabbard and wooden retoucher:

Also, I think that most of my customers will be historical or pulp gamers, or even up to modern (Sentinelese Islanders still use those stone tools today!), and they're generally more conscious of proportionate weapons than fantasy gamers.

Tentatively, the axe sprue will be $1.75 (or $1.50) and the dagger sprue will probably be $1.00 (maybe $1.25).  I'll be able announce firm prices once I send the weapon sprues off to the casting company.

Both of the weapon sprues and the Mutant Terror Bird are sculpted by Tyson Rhody.

-Alex

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Re: Pics of new Forge of Ice greens: two stone weapon sprues
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2009, 03:51:38 PM »
Very nice Alex.
Please let us know when everything's in stock - I want some of these, some spears, and some tents!
It's time to start work on my cave tribe...  :)

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2009, 08:57:48 PM »
Yes, these are very nice, and I think the sizes are spot on. See, my half-bothered attempt at an archaeology degree was some use after all!

Offline Alxbates

• Mad Scientist
    • Forge of Ice on Faceboook!
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2009, 10:59:38 PM »
Very nice Alex.
Please let us know when everything's in stock - I want some of these, some spears, and some tents!
It's time to start work on my cave tribe...  :)

Will do sir!

I'll update my 'catalog' thread here when I get everything in stock.

-Alex